Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DOES EVERYONE HERE KNOW ABOUT THIS ?

misswonderly3

No, sorry, it's nothing exciting like Robert Osborne will be hosting the Oscars in 2013 (not), or that legendary vault of long-forgotten films from ( fill in your favourite studio here) is finally being released, or even that Doris Day has agreed to star in a new movie.

Nope, what I'm about to ask about will be quite an anticlimax compared to any of the above.

It's simply this: how many of you are aware of the Private Message function on the TCM boards here??

I think there's a lot of posters here who do not know it exists. I remember when I first started posting here, it took me two weeks before I saw that little "Inbox (1) " at the upper right of the page and realized what it was.

It's kind of fun to communicate this way with fellow posters, even if it's just to say "Hi how 're you doing?" or "I love what you said on that thread about...." or even a joke that you're not sure would go over big on the public threads.

So for those of you who are not aware of its existence, look up ...waaaay up ( as the Friendly Giant used to say) to the upper right side of the screen here, and you'll see that little "Inbox" icon. It's a nice little service that the powers that be here in TCM website Land have in their wisdom provided for us.

Oh, and if I hear that Robert Osborne plans to host the Academy Awards anytime soon, I'll let you all know.

Yes, I suppose one should be able to do that.

I don't want to come across all Pollyanna-ish here, but I've never put anyone on "ignore", so haven't experienced that problem.

Hey, I wonder if anyone has put me on "ignore" ? I think once, but they soon removed it. In a way, it's kind of flattering that you'd have that kind of effect on people, so strong that they'd feel the need to do that. Kind of like how some people think it's a good thing to have a few enemies, they think it shows strength of character or something.

Please "ignore" the above comments if they offend you, people, I'm just getting into a little stream-of-consciouness here...

Those who don't read original posts of threads are going to think that the"This" I'm talking about is the "ignore" function.

Just to clarify folks...I'm talking about the "Private Message" function on the TCM boards, and how I think a lot of people don't know about it.

(Maybe they don't know about the "ignore" function either. Well, two birds with one stone.)

I have used the personal message system from time to time. A few times it has been used when there was a disagreement with someone at this site where a message was sent to me from that person. In these cases that air was cleared, we decided to get along and thus the feature was useful. (in both cases the issue was a misunderstanding of one's 'style' as it relates to having discussions).

Also I have received messages from people saying something like 'hang in there, the problem is with the other person'. I was planning on sending one to fiance related to this but then I decided it wasn't necessary. Don't wish to put my foot in my mouth. :)

I like the PM function very much because it allows me to ask things in private so I am not showing all the world my ignorance. It allows also for me to share things with one person which might be misunderstood or taken out of context if it could be read by all and sundry.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I've never put anyone on "ignore", so haven't experienced that problem.

I have a few posters on "ignore" because it reduces my level of frustration and reduces the risk of me being banned.

Imagine that you see a kitten mired in the mud. It hisses and scratches each time you try to rescue it. You see it do the same to all others who try to help. You also see that when it believes no one is watching it it purposely goes to a deeper part of the mud even although the outer edge is closer. You feel as if you must keep trying to help but it will not let any person rescue it.

There are a few posters here who I feel are mired in ignorance and stupidity and who resist all people's attempts to give them facts to help them. It frustrates me because I want to help but it is obvious that I can not. It reduces the potential for frustration if I do not see their posts.

It is sad to say that I am also weak-minded to the extent that I can be drawn into an exchange which causes me to lose my temper. That is not a good thing. The only things which have prevented my being banned from these boards are the kind considerations of the moderator and the fact that I must change the keyboard to Cyrillic in order to really let loose and they are not worth the effort.

So it is that my use of "ignore" is not so much against them as it is for me.

Yeah, I know that didn't take long.

(...after the first five were basically somethin' along the lines of, "Will you PLEASE shut the hell up!", I just figured there was some sort of "running theme" goin' on in 'em and so I didn't bother opening the remaining 42)

;)

So it is that my use of "ignore" is not so much against them as it is for me.

Amen, you said it sistah.

The ignore and PM features are two very nice properties of this site, along with the rich text edit feature that doesn't require html'ing anymore.

Incredibly, there is another site, otherwise a good media blog, that requires one to html for edits on posts. And yet another dinosaur on Yahoo that doesn't allow edits OR ignoring.

Yup. Sometimes this site is worth its weight in gold. :)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I don't want to come across all Pollyanna-ish here, but I've never put anyone on "ignore", so haven't experienced that problem.

> Hey, I wonder if anyone has put me on "ignore" ?

I don't use "Ignore," but I am pretty sure that a few people have me on "Ignore." I have been in threads where a question is asked, that I am able to answer. I post the answer, and a couple of people go on with their discussion, without any recognition of my post.

Missw, you sent me my first PM. Well, first two actually, the second asking if I wished not to receive PMs, since I had not answered the first. Up until that time, I had not noticed the "Inbox" thing, or at least I expected, like on the other boards I post on, there would be a flashing icon, when I got new mail. So, I can well understand if people don't notice it.

Nope james! Believe it or NOT, they were from 47 different people and ALL of 'em tellin' me to "PLEASE shut the hell up"!!!

However my advice is to NOT believe this, as I was only joking about all that. ;)

(..'cause ya see, I check those little parentheses up there every time I log in around here, and there's been a zero inside those suckers for WEEKS now...oh, whoa is me...I guess nobody wants to talk to me anymore)

;)

The Private Message function is rather poorly displayed, I can imaging many people don't know its there. One nice thing it does is archive all of your messages, inbox and sent. I guess we will never get back the archive function for all of the enteries that we have posted on these boards. I used to be able to click on my name at the top right and get all of the postings that I made for the past 30 days, or 90 days , or for all time past. I would love to be able to skim through some of that stuff, my memory ain't what it used to be.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings