Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Desert Movies...

RMeingast

BFI (British Film Institute) has a feed on Facebook today about desert films in honour of the 50th anniversary this year of "Lawrence of Arabia."

So they have compiled a list of 10 desert movies they recommend:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/desert-films-10-try

Just something to do for today... Brits don't celebrate Thanksgiving (closest thing they have is Guy Fawkes Day on November 5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night)...

And, of course, Canadians celebrated Turkey Day in October...

Anyway, always liked "Ice Cold in Alex," one of the desert films above...

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I am disappointed to see so very many modern movies in their list.

>

> The selections hold little credibility for me as they omitted *Sahara* (1943).

Oh well, it's only a list... And only a list of 10... Just like any list, mostly compiled to spur discussion...

And to quote the immortal TCM Message Board doyenne Lzcutter:

*"That's the wonderful thing with having opinions, where you see garbage, others see diamonds."* - lzcutter

I was about to mention "Ice Cold Alex", myself, which is a very good one that I always enjoy seeing, especially being a huge John Mills fan. Unfortunately, it's not available on DVD in the U.S. so I got a nice region 2 from the UK.

It has a poor history in this country. The genius who was running the film's U.S. distributor, Universal-International, at the time, apparently decided that American's wouldn't understand the title, would find it too long and probably had never heard of the cast. so he had it cut from 125 minutes to 79 and changed the title to "Desert Attack" then released with little or no promotion as the bottom half of a double-bill with an Audey Murphy western. I don't think the uncut version ever had a release here.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}I was about to mention "Ice Cold Alex", myself, which is a very good one that I always enjoy seeing, especially being a huge John Mills fan. Unfortunately, it's not available on DVD in the U.S. so I got a nice region 2 from the UK.

>

> It has a poor history in this country. The genius who was running the film's U.S. distributor, Universal-International, at the time, apparently decided that American's wouldn't understand the title, would find it too long and probably had never heard of the cast. so he had it cut from 125 minutes to 79 and changed the title to "Desert Attack" then released with little or no promotion as the bottom half of a double-bill with an Audey Murphy western. I don't think the uncut version ever had a release here.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

I can't remember who aired it in Canada? Haven't seen it for a long time but have seen it a few times in the past... Title known to me is "Ice Cold In Alex." Never heard of "Desert Attack."

Anyway, I like "Ice Cold in Alex." An excellent movie... I like Anthony Quail in the flick.

I`m pretty good at foreign accents - something you pick up when you study foreign languages - and I remember having fun trying to master Quail`s Afrikaans accent his character had in the film, after I had seen it - I know, I`m a geek...

If you know how South African Boers talk, or have seen the movie, you know what I mean... (This is probably more information than y`all need to know about me...)

Anyway, "Ice cold" refers to the beers the characters want to drink once they manage to get back to "Alex" - Alexandria, Egypt.

Stills and video clips from the movie here: *http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/464914/*

Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cold_in_Alex

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

>

> Also, 'March or Die' (1977) is darn good.

Haven`t seen that one in ages... Think I actually paid to go see it at the movie theatre back in the day... Typical Foreign Legion flick, I guess...

Can`t remember much about it, just Gene Hackman and lots of action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_or_Die_%28film%29

``New York Times`` review here: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9405E7D6113FE334BC4E53DFBE66838C669EDE&partner=Rotten%20Tomatoes

My title heading is meant as a joke... Which is worse, to march or die or watch AMC...

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}I don't agree that it's typical (I've not seen any other Foreign Legion movies like it).

>

>

>

>

> Otherwise, I wouldn't be mentioning it 35 years later.

>

I didn`t mean ``typical`` in a bad way... It`s a Foreign Legion movie...

They in desert, fight among themselves and generally get in trouble while resenting commander Gene Hackman all the while, then fight bad guys and get killed...

Plus a little romance thrown in with Catherine Deneuve...

I`m not denigrating it... And I`d watch it again if it was on TCM...

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}There's something different about it. Must be - Foreign Legion movies have always bored me to tears. Maybe it's the stellar cast. Maybe it's Hackman's performance. Also, the tremendous battle - kinda the way 'The Wild Bunch' is best remembered for that part of the movie.

>

>

>

>

> If only TCM would show it, I'd be grateful to see it again.

>

Yep, I haven`t seen it since I was a kid way back in `77, but I do remember it since you mentioned it... Worth a look on TCM... Why not...

Maybe have a Foreign Legion day of films...

Just something to do for today... Brits don't celebrate Thanksgiving (closest thing they have is *Guy Fawkes Day* on November 5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night)...

And, of course, Canadians celebrated Turkey Day in October...

There is a scene in HANGOVER SQUARE where some kids remind Laird Cregar of the history of Guy Fawkes Day. It later gives Cregar an idea of what to do with Linda Darnell once he's strangled her...toss her body on the pyre that was built....which singed her during filming, ironically reinforcing Linda's lifelong fear of fire.

Instead of Hell's Heroes, how about Three Godfathers--no, not the awful Ford/Wayne waste of time--The Boleslawski/Morris vestion? Not that HH is bad.

Foreign Legion movies brings to mind Beau Geste. Any version of that appeal to anybody?

Westward the Women takes place mostly in desert regions.

valentino1.jpg

The ultimate desert-er!

valentino2.jpg

Sung by jealous husbands and boyfriends throughout the land!

The mystique of the desert went "global platinum" with *Rudolf Valentino in The Sheik (1921) and The Son Of the Sheik (1926)!*

The effect this character and setting had on women then caused much comment at the time, and still appears remarkable in hindsight. The women of the 20's had to have had something really missing in their lives, as this was a strange form of "sea water drinking" for their thirst! After the "buzz" they felt in the theater, the "crash" came, and the ordinary men in their lives felt themselves compared to, and competing with, something larger than life!

speakthelma.gif

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings