Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Bishop's Wife

CaryGrantPGHFan

> {quote:title=CaryGrantPGHFan wrote:

>

> }{quote}Hey AMC,

"AMC"!!

Those is three dangerous letters to string together around here pardner...

I suggest you'd better watch yerself in the saloon yonder...

Folks around these here parts don't take much kindly to hearing them letters put together like that...

Lessun you figurin' on giving the undertaker some business 'round here, that is...

Mind yerself, stranger...

Btw finance, ever notice how many people with a vague knowledge of classic films will sometimes mistakenly refer to the movie about Santa workin' at Macy's as, "Miracle on 42nd Street"???

(...though come to think of it, Warner Baxter MIGHT have made a pretty good Santa Claus in somethin' like that, huh!) ;)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Nov 26, 2012 11:41 AM

The Bishop's Wife is the one holiday movie I like. I don't celebrate the holiday (yea, I'm really a Scrooge), but The Bishop's Wife gets to me. I feel it has a good message without being preachy. I also like the Monty Woolley character since in some ways I'm a lot like him as it relates to the holiday season.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Nov 26, 2012 3:24 PM

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Call me a Scrooge

Poof! You are a Scrooge!

;)

> I don't care for THE BISHOP'S WIFE. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE and MIRACLE ON THIRTY FOURTH STREET are a different story.

They are different stories because they have different plots, different settings and different actors.

I like *The Bishop's Wife* very much because it is gentle humor.

I like *Miracle on 34th Street* but I feel it tries very hard to be more than it is.

I feel *It's a Wonderful Life* is teen angst melodramatized for a simpering audience. I very much wished to grab the lead and shake him and tell him to act as an adult because I do not like whiny and self-centered characters.

Ok I can see why one would feel Woolley was an annoying actor, but often his character was scripted to be annoying or gruff; e.g. Man Who Came to Dinner, Since You Went Away, and The Bishop Wife.

Thus in this regard Woolley was more like Shelly Winters. June Allyson was annoying when playing characters where the plot did NOT call for her character to be annoying or a pain in the rear. This puts Allyson at a very different level (and not a good one!).

I am glad someone else thinks June Allyson was an annoying actress. Oh, she just drives me crazy, her and that terminal "page boy" hairdo that she had most of her life and her "fake" persona.

Come on even in the late 40s or early 50's who is going to buy this sweet, girl next door, innocent type? I never saw her in a believable role. I am not fan of June Allyson. I can't think of the name of the film, but she was in the 50's remake of "The Women." I watched it just to be fair, but when it was over, I wanted to "throw-up." Awful, horrible movie IMHO.

I will take Monty Wooley any day over June Allyson. It was his characters that were sometimes annoying not his persona, IMHO.

Lori

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}I am glad someone else thinks June Allyson was an annoying actress. Oh, she just drives me crazy, her and that terminal "page boy" hairdo that she had most of her life and her "fake" persona.

>

> Come on even in the late 40s or early 50's who is going to buy this sweet, girl next door, innocent type? I never saw her in a believable role. I am not fan of June Allyson. I can't think of the name of the film, but she was in the 50's remake of "The Women." I watched it just to be fair, but when it was over, I wanted to "throw-up." Awful, horrible movie IMHO.

>

> I will take Monty Wooley any day over June Allyson. It was his characters that were sometimes annoying not his persona, IMHO.

>

> Lori

Another June Allyson fan checking in. Ummm, scratch that ... I totally agree with you Lori3. I find her one of THE most annoying actresses ever. Recently on TCM they showed a mucisical she was in and I decided to give it a try. Perhaps I had been too hard on her all these years. Sadly, after about five minutes I realized I had been spot on about her.

As for "The Bishop's Wife", I absolutely adore this film. Grant is perfect as Dudley and even though I am not a huge fan of Loretta Young she is quite wonderful in this film. Grant and Young have outstanding chemistry together and as stated previously, they were beautiful in this film. For me this is a definite must see every Christmas.

The Bishop's Wife is the one holiday movie I like. I don't celebrate the holiday (yea, I'm really a Scrooge), but The Bishop's Wife gets to me. I feel it has a good message without being preachy. I also like the Monty Woolley character since in some ways I'm a lot like him as it relates to the holiday season.

Have to agree with you, James. I love it. I have it on tape and run it now and then just to keep it dry. (I live near the ocean and tapes and books are at risk around here.) It's such a lovely film pictorially, and I like the actresses so much. Jimmy Gleason was always a favorite of mine as well, and even though they make him pretty hokey in this, I still like seeing him. I can never get through Cary Grant doing the 23rd Psalm without crying. I'm such a soppy viewer. Gladys Cooper I loved, too.

"The Bishop's Wife" brings Elsa Lanchester to mind. When she was in her later years she spent some time at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, near where I lived in San Diego, and a friend of mine who worked there used to visit with her now and then to keep her company. When he told me, I could have knocked him down for not telling me sooner so I could have done the same. I'd have killed to meet her and hear her stories. He said she was entertaining as could be.

He also met Elizabeth Taylor very briefly ... he showed her and her current boyfriend, Henry Weinberger or something, where the back elevator was so they could avoid the press. He said she was so beautiful it was like being punched in the stomach. And he (my friend) was pretty beautiful himself, so it wasn't as if he didn't know what beautiful girls looked like. He said she just made him dizzy when she patted him on the arm as a thank-you gesture. I don't think he ever washed it again ... no. He wasn't stupid. Just knocked out.

Scripps was the place to go if you wanted to see celebrities. James Garner was there for a while, exhaustion.

All so true, Dothery.

James Gleason is a big fave of mine, too, along with Sam Levene. I find them spot on in every film, no matter the lead. Did you like Gleason in the Hildegarde Withers films? I loved the two of them as a couple.

On your friend who saw Liz - were her eyes really that shade of violet? Holy mackerel she was pretty.

I actually don't HATE *The Bishop's Wife* , but I'm not one of those who wistfully hold it in high regard. And I certainly DON'T consider it really a holiday movie.

Incidentally, when I first saw it as a kid, it was the first time I heard the phrase, "Get a ROOM!", uttered by my Mother during one of Grant and Young's scenes together. Took me years to figure out what she meant.

And as saccharine and syrupy any here might think it is, or how dreadful, you'll change your mind once viewing the Whitney Huston/Denzel Washington remake *The Preacher's Wife* . OY!

Sepiatone

"Exhaustion" is sometimes a euphemism for, say, a substance abuse problem. It's sort of like announcing that somebody left his job in order to spend more time with his family.

Sometimes. However, Scripps was never a drying-out unit for alcoholic or drug abusing movie stars. It's a research facility, primarily, and Garner was there for diagnosis. He had been losing weight and was wiped out from overwork. I was at Milburn Stone's house for a Christmas tree trimming party right about that time, and Milburn mentioned it. I learned more about it when I saw Garner talking about it on television. It may have been in this interview.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/james-garner

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings