Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Narrow Margin

solarblast

The 1990 remake kept the same title was directed by Peter Hyams { "Outland", "2010", "The Presidio"} starred Gene Hackman and Anne Archer. Anne Archer's dad was John Archer the Federal agent in "White Heat" and many other films. An OK film,but the original was better...

I enjoyed the remake even if it sagged towards the end. Gene Hackman and Anne Archer were the best part of the movie and you watched when they were on screen.

Hackman didn't have Charles McGraw's typical square-jawed fearless cop persona but his moral courage and refusal to be bought made you wish he was for real. His discovery that Archer's character was not a "moll" but a brave total innocent he was "sworn to serve and protect" brings out his vulnerable side as he learns what doing the right thing is costing her besides possibly losing her life. I love the final court scene when the cornered murderer is sweating his conviction exactly the way Hackman told him he would. The movie is a bit too long during the last half but it's still pretty good.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}And the verdict?

I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I liked it even better this time than before. The only thing I can fault is that wild ending with everybody hanging onto the train which I found mostly unbelievable. That last scene though, regarding the identity of the final killer, is a twist you don't expect.

I like both versions as they are each capsules of their times. How each woman gets to the situation they're in is realistic for the era and they react in kind. Archer's character seems to have more personal conflict in deciding but that makes her choice to do right more inspiring. Of course I miss Marie Windsor whose performance in the original makes the surprise just that but Gene Hackman's cop is more emotionally revealing than Charles McGraw's and you enjoy seeing him stand up to and turn down the killers and, like him, see the mobster come to justice. I'll watch either one anytime.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings