Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Hosts

looney4tcm

I think Robert Osborne is the perfect host. Love his style, enthusiasm, modesty, genuine love for films. One of my favorite TCM guest hosts is David Edelstein for mostly the same reasons. Our family loves Bob Dorian, former AMC host too. I'm hesitating to add my rather opposite opinion of Ben Mankiewicz and Alec Baldwin. I find these two a little too sarcastic and slightly full of themselves -- as hosts, they rather take some of the fun out of it! Well that's my two cents. How about yours?

My two cents worth is that while I like both the main TCM hosts, I slightly prefer the Mankman. Opposite of your opinion.

I've never understood this notion that Ben Mankiewicz is sarcastic and condescending in his movie intro style. Never got that. And I'm pretty sensitive to self-conscious smart-a** "ironic" attitudes in today's culture.

My impression has always been that Ben loves movies, new and old. I just wish he'd grow that goatee back, maybe find those jeans and comfortable-looking shirts in the back of his closet and resurrect them. But this is a moot point.

As for Alec Baldwin, he never bothered me either. But he's gone now, so not much point in discussing his TCM hosting skills one way or the other.

Ben often comes off as cynical and a bit smart alecky at our considerably LARGE late night movie parties so this probably just amounts to a personal preference if you happen to like that type of approach--our group of around 450 TCM fans and a few dozen film buffs seems to prefer a softer and more fun loving attitude (softer around the edges, gentler if you will, ha) but thank you so much for sharing your opinion!

> {quote:title=looney4tcm wrote:}{quote} Ben often comes off as cynical and a bit smart alecky at our considerably LARGE late night movie parties so this probably just amounts to a personal preference if you happen to like that type of approach...

But actually I don't happen to like that approach. I've never cared for the smug, "I'm so ironic and smart and this makes me really cool" attitude that many exhibit in our world these days.. It does come across as smug and annoying. Here's what I said:

"... And I'm pretty sensitive to self-conscious smart-a** "ironic" attitudes in today's culture...."

It's just that Ben doesn't strike me that way. Never understood why he does so many others (strike them as smug etc.) I should also mention that I met him once, albeit very briefly, and he was extremely pleasant and gracious.

But, a chacun son gout.

Edited by: misswonderly on Nov 24, 2012 1:10 PM

I like Ben Mankiewicz much more after his makeover. He looks now casual and friendly instead of grubby. It appears to me that he is not comfortable in a suit and tie and I feel that is not a good look for him. The only negative comment I have of his looks on weekends now is that I do not like his glasses. They lack personality and they seem to me to be awkward.

I have seen the YouTube video of the announcer who was on AMC once. This has made me realize how blessed we are to have Robert Osborne.

I think what TCM is doing is preparing for the day when RO retires for good. They need a credible on-air personality to introduce the films as well as interview members of the film community. Ben Mankiewicz has done good work with his hosting duties and from what I can tell he gets along with RO.

As far as bringing in another host to either share hosting duties with RO or BM, I would have no problem with Bob Dorian or Nick Clooney coming on board. I loved both of these guys doing what they did over on the old AMC, and even though they might not be as associated with films as RO has been, they could and I repeat could do well for TCM.

Where the heck was I last year? I missed when Rita Wilson co-hosted and / or guest hosted on TCM.

Any ways, she also the guest host for "Circus Sinatra" a little while back and she did a great job. She played one of her recordings and she had a lovely singing voice.

I think she deserves to come up from the shadows of her famous husband Tom Hanks.

Lori

Edited by: Lori3 on Nov 24, 2012 3:24 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings