Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Excellent Guest Host for TCM ? ! !

looney4tcm

Ok, thanks, that was interesting. I've heard a lot about the legendary Bob Dorian on these boards, and now I've seen him.

Just a trivial question: why wouldn't you have posted this on the thread you've already started about TCM hosts? It's kind of on the same topic ( classic movie hosts) and it seems to me it just makes sense to post it there.

But,I suppose there are more important things to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

I know this is a little outside the context of this thread, but I've said this before and I'll say it again. As far as any guest host, I think Rita Wilson did an excellent job while subbing fo Robert Osborne last year. Her delivery and comments on the movies was so smooth and natural that it was like sitting in the living room watching and discussing the movie in real life. I found most of the other guest host had struggled and bumbled their way through the intros that I developed an understanding about how difficult something that I previously thought was so simple. That is one reason why I was so impressed by Rita Wilsons job. That plus her looks has convinced me that if TCM is looking for a substitute/guest, I recommend they look to Rita Wilson.

I would like to see some of the living legends pop out of retirement every once in a while to host: Rhonda Fleming, Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Sophia Loren, Gena Rowlands . . .

Can you imagine Simon Cowell and Robert Blake teaming up as the primary weekend hosts?

Perhaps a parade of actors from Boardwalk Empire to introduce anything related to the underworld

Bela Lugosi, Jr. sitting in for a night or two in October?

Dick Van Dyke, Jerry Mathers, Lumpy Rutherford

Maybe Dr. Phil for Anatomy of a Murder or Dr. Oz to introduce the 1939 classic

Joan Rivers, Linda Blair, Shirley Temple . . . the list goes on and on

> {quote:title=looney4tcm wrote:}{quote}I would like to see some of the living legends pop out of retirement every once in a while to host: Rhonda Fleming, Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Sophia Loren, Gena Rowlands . . .

>

That would be great, but it will never happen.

> Bela Lugosi, Jr. sitting in for a night or two in October?

Might be alright, I don't know anything about him.

> Can you imagine Simon Cowell and Robert Blake teaming up as the primary weekend hosts?

>

> Perhaps a parade of actors from Boardwalk Empire to introduce anything related to the underworld

>

>

> Dick Van Dyke, Jerry Mathers, Lumpy Rutherford

>

> Maybe Dr. Phil for Anatomy of a Murder or Dr. Oz to introduce the 1939 classic

>

> Joan Rivers, Linda Blair, Shirley Temple . . . the list goes on and on

The rest of these make me sick to my stomach, just to think about it. :(

Could we have a group introduce movies? Members of the group could appear alone or in concert depending on the type of movie.

If The Muppets would do it then genre of movie and introducer might be:

Romance: Miss Piggy

Science Fiction: Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker

Musicals: Dr. Teeth and Zoot

Americana: Sam the Eagle

Adventure: Crazy Harry

Politics: Animal

Children's: Annie Sue and Robin the Frog

Comedy: Fozzie Bear

I believe The Village People could also be interesting.

Kermit was the guest host a few years back and he picked "Cyrano de Bergerac" 1950 with Jose Ferrer who played the charismatic swordsman-poet.

I had never seen this version before so I remember I thought I would give it a try. It was a beautiful production, so IMHO Kermit made an excellent choice and I keep waiting for TCM to replay the film again.

My only complaint is that the film print itself, was not the best. That film needs to be restored.

Lori

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Beavis and Butt-head would be the perfect hosts, in my opinion. I'd like to see them take over permanently after Robert retires.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Why, I can do better than that! I want Dr. Phil, and Simon Cowell as a team, and while they are hosting, Ted Nugent will take potshots at them with a paintball gun. If I can think of anything more obnoxious than that, I'll get back to you later. :)

Thanks willbefree. Wait a minute I thought your beloved was "Warren Williams?"

Just kidding. Any ways, really a lot of the children or close relatives of these stars might be very thankful that their "beloved one" is still remembered and important to us the viewers of TCM.

Robert or Ben could discuss the merits of the actor and / or their importance to our cinema history and the relative could give us the fun little trivia bits they remember or know about.

Of course there might be some children of the stars of yesterday who don't have such happy memories about their famous parent, but so what how many of us had perfect parents?

However, since the "star" in question is not here to defend themselves, TCM could "pass" on such relatives who only have "hurtful or bad" stories to share, e.g. the daughters of Crawford or Davis.

Lori

Edited by: Lori3 on Nov 28, 2012 3:15 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings