Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off-Topic: Who We Are

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> The most famous people I ever met were the late Michigan governor George Romney ...

> The other was guitarist Earl Klugh ...

> I once shook John McLaughlin's hand ...

That is three more than I have met. I have been in the same room with famous people as part of my duties and business but I have never met them face-to-face.

I believe that other than Capuchin the only time any person I have met has been mentioned in a newspaper was when it was reported how many years they had to serve after their trial.

It's fun to learn about each other so I'll jump in and share some stuff, too!

I've mentioned these four facts before: female, in my 20s, raised on classic films, live in the vague vicinity of the TCM Film Festival (how near? nice try!). Love classic everything--films, theater, TV, lit, music, and architecture too. I do shows mainly. If I could do anything anytime it would be callbacks -- not as a performer though, as the one who sits behind the table and gets entertained. :) I've lived here most of my life. Other than loving classic stuff, I'm a double rarity for people my age: my parents are still married (GASP!!!) and I get along with them really well (DOUBLE GASP!!!). We put on shows together and perform together, in fact. Fun fact: we were all born with cataracts. I also have 4 cats, all named for movie characters. Didn't mean to have 4, it just happened that way. And that's as vague as I can be and still attempt to sound interesting. Good times. :)

• Like 1

I didn't see that poster, Andy ... what a coincidence that you have it! It was such a terrible tragedy. My sister and her husband have never forgotten the sights they saw that night. Many of their classmates were involved in the rescue of what few people got out.

In spite of the horror of the fire itself, the treatment of burns was revolutionized by the work of the medical personnel in Boston during the months and years that followed. Books have been written about the treatment of many of the victims. There was a spray that was used on patients to keep them from dying of dehydration, and they say that for years many hospital sheets were purple from the dye in the spray. Skin grafting was greatly changed. Penicillin came into use about that time and was successfully used in treating infections in the burn victims.

The man who was responsible for most of this, the owner of the night club, who had sealed up exits to keep people from ducking out on their checks, was sentenced to a long term in prison for manslaughter, but was pardoned by the governor when he was dying in prison of cancer. When he was released he told the reporters he wished he'd died with all the others.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> I've mentioned these four facts before: female, in my 20s, raised on classic films, live in the vague vicinity of the TCM Film Festival

I did not see mention of your age before this. I had assumed you were much older as your posts are more level-headed and worldly than a young person often is.

> I also have 4 cats, all named for movie characters. Didn't mean to have 4, it just happened that way.

I have always held that a person can be judged by how many cats have adopted them. To have four come into your life when you were not planning it means you must be a very good person!

I thank you for sharing this as I have learned much while you have maintained your discretion.

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}

>> I believe that other than Capuchin the only time any person I have met has been mentioned in a newspaper was when it was reported how many years they had to serve after their trial.

> That's funny, SansFin!

It is true. A cousin came to live with us for a year because her father had gone to jail and her mother could not care for all the children with her income only. The party where I first drank my fill of unwatered vodka was a coming-home-from-jail party for my aunt's brother-in-law. I shared my bedroom with my uncle's girlfriend for a week because she needed a place to stay while she made arrangements to make many of the charges go away before she was arrested.

My uncle was often in jail for showing movies which had not been approved by the state but I do not remember his ever being away for more than a few months each time.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> > I've mentioned these four facts before: female, in my 20s, raised on classic films, live in the vague vicinity of the TCM Film Festival I did not see mention of your age before this. I had assumed you were much older as your posts are more level-headed and worldly than a young person often is.

>

> > I also have 4 cats, all named for movie characters. Didn't mean to have 4, it just happened that way. I have always held that a person can be judged by how many cats have adopted them. To have four come into your life when you were not planning it means you must be a very good person!

>

> I thank you for sharing this as I have learned much while you have maintained your discretion.

I take it as a real compliment that you assumed I was older than I am. And you are so kind to think I'm kind. (That sounds like Dr Strangelove. "It's good that your kind and I'm kind. It's good to be kind.")

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> And you are so kind to think I'm kind. (That sounds like Dr Strangelove. "It's good that your kind and I'm kind. It's good to be kind.")

Robert Preston/Toddy in *Victor/Victoria* (1982) says to an audience: Thank you, thank you, you're most kind. In fact, you're every kind.

My uncle was often in jail for showing movies which had not been approved by the state

I wish you could share more on this, I assume you can't, but your uncle sounds like my kind of guy, assuming the films weren't cruel to women, children or animals, and I'm guessing that the state at the time, like the church at the time, had no interest in cruelty, only in politics.....and money, of course.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

>> My uncle was often in jail for showing movies which had not been approved by the state

> I wish you could share more on this,

I believe it was a matter of ideology. Foreign movies were considered decadent or subversive or both. I believe there was a procedure to have foreign movies approved for showing but it was long and expensive process and it raised questions of the motives of the person requesting it.

My uncle did not bother with that. I believe he could not have shown any movies which were truly bad in any way because he would have been sent to prison for that. It seems to me his arrests were thought to be administrative violations and not harmful criminal acts.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> My grandfather's brother (I believe they were born in Odessa, probably in the 1870s) was sent to Siberia for attempting to assassinate the Tsar. He bribed his way out.

I do not find that surprising. Conspiracies were a pastime and finding a Russian who will take a bribe is often very easy.

Foreign movies were considered decadent or subversive or both.

That I can believe. Sad, but understandable.

I believe he could not have shown any movies which were truly bad in any way because he would have been sent to prison for that.

That is incredible, if by 'bad' you also mean sub-par in quality. If allowed, I would love to see those challenged who decided what was 'bad', and to know how those Great Deciders would treat many of today's films.

Kudos to your uncle.

It would have been back in the very early 20th century. His wife sent him a photo of herself, with money hidden in the frame. That's how he bribed his way out. For all the incredible brutality and repression of the Communist era in Russia, we shouldn't forget the inhumanity of what preceded it: the age of the Tsars.

SansFin!!! Wow, thank you so much for starting this really cool thread, and for sharing so much about yourself, much of which I did not know!!! Wow, nice to "meet" you yet again! And I wish you and Capuchin the very best!

I wanted to thank everyone who has posted some background about themselves, thank you all, it's wonderful to hear about your experiences!

I'm just an old movie (and tv show) buff, not much to share really. My idea of an exciting Friday night is to groove to some old flix on TCM!

Thank you again, Sans Fin!! You're totally awesome and I wish you the best!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> nice to "meet" you yet again! And I wish you and Capuchin the very best!

I thank you very much for your kind words and good wishes.

> I'm just an old movie (and tv show) buff, not much to share really.

I have a mental image of you as a professor of film history who is a semi-reformed hippie sharing with your student esoteric knowledge of when and where rare classics might be viewed in the wild. :)

He was not altruistic.

Well, SansFin, neither are the government, or big business, or organized religion.

So, by 'kudos', I mean I admire your uncle for being ahead of his time, and congratulate him for being an entrepreneur who did what the big boys did then and do now. Think Warren Buffet or Donald Trump or Bernie Madoff or the CEOs of any of the corporations or banks who paid off the politicians to melt down the U.S. in 2008.

I'm happy to read he knew enough to pay off the police, since that is what the evil triumvarte above do all the time, only they do it under the cloak of respectability.

I hope your uncle lived to be a ripe old age and laughed about all his deeds until his last breath.

If he were here today, I would shake his hand.

I do wish that they'd make up their minds.

Is it TSAR, or CZAR? Or are both acceptable? And why the two different spellings?

Like I have recordings of music composed by TCHAIKOWSKY and TSAIKOVSKY. Either PETER and PETIOR.

BOTH these cats wrote a "NUTCRACKER SUITE" that sound identical! ;)

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Dec 1, 2012 4:32 PM

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Is it TSAR, or CZAR? Or are both acceptable? And why the two different spellings?

It is and always will be Царь. ;)

To translate Cyrillic to Latin letters is not an exact science because many phonetic sounds do not have exact analogs and so approximations must be made. This is true also of even languages which use the same alphabet but I find it more pronounced and more common in translations between Cyrillic and Latin.

I believe you will appreciate the difficulty in translating into Latin letters by listening to this:

You must understand also that her accent affects the pronunciation slightly.

I use "Tsar" because that is how I saw it written first in Latin letters. I am very bad at reading in Latin letters languages which normally use Cyrillic and I must often sound out the words as a small child does.

> Like I have recordings of music composed by TCHAIKOWSKY and TSAIKOVSKY. Either PETER and PETIOR.

It is Пётр Ильи́ч Чайко́вский.

My eye prefers it to be Pyotr when put into Latin letters. :)

• 3 years later...

I am resurrecting this thread because: EugeniaH's excellent thread re: why we are on this site made me think of how many posters have found this forum of recent.

My original post in this thread stated:

we share much in our posts but it is always in bits and dabs here and there so it is difficult at times to assemble a complete image of our fellow posters. That this is true is evidenced by the fact that it happens often that a person will mistake the gender of a poster with whom they have discussed many things. 

Some posters have introduced themself when first coming to this forum but it is nearly always very bare-bones and hesitant as they feel they are coming into a group of strangers.

I can not and will not ask nor expect any other person to provide information about themself and I surely will reveal no secrets about myself but I think it may be handy to have a single place with as much information as some posters are willing to share.

Some wonderful posters shared their history. I resurrect this thread so that more recent arrivals might have a place to share with us.
  • Like 1