Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harry and Tonto

movielover11

TCM has shown Harry & Tonto in the past. But because I don't have cable (or TCM) missed it. But the discussions here intrigued me so I looked for it on my local library's database.

Borrowed the DVD from the library and enjoyed it very much. The premise is fun, although some parts are a bit contrived making it feel a little dated. The great performances -especially Art Carney's- elevate any flaws in the story.

Definitely worth seeing.

Harry and Tonto seems to show up fairly often, though not anywhere near

as often as the well-known usual suspects. I too thought of Larry Hagman's

role in this movie. Not much screen time, but well done. I've noticed that

one of the plot points of HAT, that of a widower who is on a cross country

trip to visit his children, who are a bit screwed up, is also found in About Schmidt

and Everybody's Fine. I don't think the latter two were deliberately copying it,

but it's hard not to notice the similarities.

• 7 years later...

TCM shows HARRY AND TONTO occasionally.  I always watch if I know it's on.  Tonto reminds me of my own cat, but I've loved this movie for decades, long before my boy showed up.  CHIEF DAN GEORGE is one of the best parts, but I think all of the actors do a wonderful job with an unusual script, a character study.  I love HARRY AND TONTO; it's a favorite.  👍

27 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I'm probably one of the few who loves the fact that Art Carney won the Oscar for it.

I'm glad he won, too! Also, people just have no idea how hard it is to work with a feline. 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gene Grillot said:

Harry and Tonto reminded of Tonto and the Lone  Ranger, also When will Stoker's Dracula be shown.

I didn't think the message board software could tolerate such a non sequitur.  Anyway, broadcasting decisions are in the hands of the TCM scheduling gods.  If you mean the 1992 adaptation, checking here:

http://www.tcm.turner.com/tcmdb/title/18878/Bram-Stoker-s-Dracula/

every month or so will give you advance notice if it will be on.  The air date and time will appear under the title.

• Like 1

Carney's win, and I've probably said this before, is one of Oscar's most egregious mistakes.  This was a year when three of the leading actors of their generation (Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and Gene Hackman) gave their best performances in three of the best of American films.   And there's no shortage of better performances that year.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings