Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHO WATCHED LIZ AND DICK??????

Hibi

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I think she did a fine job. I think the whole show is very realistic.

You started out writing that it was "dreadful," but now think it's "pretty good"...

So what changed your mind??

Is there a certain point in the film where it begins to get better?

Is it worth a re-run and did Lohan earn her dough as Taylor??

BTW, I missed it on TV tonight...

I watched it. I thought they did a pretty good job of showing the extremes of emotion those two went through.

By coincidence, we were in Rome when the Cleopatra shooting was going on, and I remember the newspaper the morning after Taylor had a big fight with Burton in a night club, Bricktop's, I think, featuring a huge picture of her coming out in tears and trying to fight them back. She appeared devastated.

Burton showed up next day for a banquet scene in the movie and was a wreck. He looks awful in the final result. When I read her account of it later it seemed he had finally told her he wasn't going to divorce his wife and marry her.

I think she actually tried to commit suicide at that point and they covered it by saying she'd been taken to the hospital because of food poisoning or something.

They went on to live together at the Dorchester in London for a long while, but she was still not happy about it. Eventually he caved and they got married, and then he was all possessive and "my wife" this and "my wife" that. I think he really loved her and wanted to be married to her, but he was an alcoholic AND a neurotic, and couldn't manage it.

I've often wondered why she wanted him so badly. He was a mean drunk, and referred to her in shameful ways in public and to the press as time went on. I saw some of it, in TV interviews. I couldn't believe he could humiliate her like that and she'd still come back for more. He must have had buckets of charm.

His wife Sybil made out a lot better than he did. She went on to be married to a younger man, Jordan Christopher, opened a successful night club in New York and settled down to a happy life. More than could be said for the Burtons, I guess. Of course no one knows what goes on in anyone else's life, or marriage. I thought the movie was about as good as could be made, under the circumstances. No worse than a lot of other biopics. I wish they'd done something better with the ending. They skipped over his other two marriages (except for the day he died) and the time they worked together in "Private Lives." As I recall, before she died Elizabeth said she'd had love letters from him right up to his death.

Not to worry, it will be re-run to death! I noticed it was on again last night! I watched most of it (between commercial breaks while watching other programs and rewinding the dvr using picture in picture...) It was pretty bad, but then it's Lifetime. Lohan was bad, but the movie was so poorly written and edited, I doubt anyone could've done much better, but she could've at least tried to sound like Taylor. The actor who played Burton came off better. It was just cliche after cliche. Trying to pare down their 20 year relationship into 90 mins. They spent most of their time on their first few years, then tried to cram the rest into a half hr. I hated how they tried to stitch it together with that mock interview. Cheesy. Then Burton dies and it's just Liz (did he die during the interview?)

I really felt sorry for Theresa Russell, a talented actress who made some good films in the 70s and 80s, stuck playing Lohan's mother in a few scenes. I didnt recognize her at first, but then I recognized her voice. I guess she needed the money..........

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 27, 2012 10:59 AM

It HAD to be "cliche after cliche" Hibi. Burton and Taylor's life, after all, was one BIG cliche after another! I only managed to catch about ten minutes of it somewhere in the middle, until my wife grabbed the remote and proclaimed, "That's enough of THIS sh**!" So I can't really judge it fairly.

To be fair to Lohan, there isn't ANY actress who can portray Taylor convincingly. She was one of a kind. The best they could hope for was to at least get some of the LOOK, through hair pieces and make up. Taylor DID have the distinction of being able to, naturally, display the kind of behavior it now takes actresses huge amounts of pills and gallons of booze to achieve, something Lohan has been working on fervently of late. So maybe she WAS the right choice?

Sepiatone

>Far less entertaining than the real life Burtons........

That's the way it is with any bio movie. The original people are always more interesting. That's why a bio movie is made about them.

But I liked this made-for-TV film. It showed all the major gossip stories that I read about in the old days, regarding the real people.

I thought Lohan and the guy were both pretty good.

:( I came in just before the wedding and fell asleep a few minutes before the ending. The bridal costume did look the way I remember it in the photos but, really, how do we know this is the way the rest went down? It was a series of vignette that somehow didn't seem linked together despite being about the same two people. If you miss seeing it you haven't missed very much.

The most interesting part of the story was Jenkins/Burton's relationship with his brother, which I was not aware of, and how Ivor's death effected him. Did he blame Elizabeth for that rather than himself? Indeed did be believe the entire scandal was her fault despite his deep feelings for her and the fact that it takes two? This is what I took out of the movie.

I see this as a superficial movie made for titillation, on the cheap and quick, and with little regard with quality. I doubt it will revive Lindsay Lohan's career as she seems determined to self-destruct. Comparing her to LT is revolting; for all her faults and perceived moral lapses Ms. Taylor never had the kind of negative press "LiLo" has and made her last years court in her vocal and financial support of many charitable causes. Elizabeth deserved better and Burton probably did too.

Oh My Gosh! (sorry to sound so young) but I saw it and, I am so confused...I don't know whether I hated it or...no it was really bad. Why-oh-why would they cast Lohan? I don't feel as if they got any of their story across, they just seemed to be two crazy rich people. I love Elizabeth Taylor and the story of her romance with Richard Burton but come on, that movie did not do it justice. I'm at a loss...

Edited by: Jezebelle on Nov 29, 2012 1:23 PM

Good point, but to be fair she wasn't the only thing wrong with the movie (even though her acting was so robotic. You can tell she's been out of it for a while) The script was also pretty bad with their corny lines and whomever's job it was to gather info about the relationship did it last minute it seemed. There was hardly any in the movie; just the two of them looking...uh..."fabulous" (if they want to call it that)

It should've been more in depth and probably longer if they wanted a good movie. But hey it was Lifetime, they had to work with what they had.

I think it was based on a recent book about their relationship. But trying to cram that into a 90 min movie doesnt give much time for details. No doubt they probably took some liberties too. I agree, the writing was bad.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings