Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone see the new Anna Karenina?

Jezebelle

I saw it last sunday and I must say I was pleased. Keira Knightly did a fabulous job as Anna, I really did feel her heartbreak and confuson throughout the whole film. But I think the most Kudos goes to Jude Law. He really made me feel bad for the husband, someone who I've never really felt bad for before. I wouldn't say that he got the short end of the stick but the stick he did recieve wasn't an all too pleasant one. I've seen three versions of Anna Karenina, the silent LOVE with Greta Garbo, the 1935 one also with Garbo and the 1948 one with Vivien Leigh. Up until now Vivien Leigh was my favorite version but I think this one takes the cake. The acting, directing and the stage and set set-ups were all so beautifully breathtaking and thought provoking. I think that this is a movie any Anna Karenina lover should go see. Because of this movie I am determined to read the book.

Edited by: Jezebelle on Nov 29, 2012 1:12 PM

I think it opens here this wknd, but I may not see it till next wknd or so. Glad to hear it's good. I did read the novel many years ago....

Be prepared for a long read (Its much more involved than the movie adaptations. Part of it due to one of the male characters (forget who) getting back to the land.........)

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 29, 2012 1:21 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have to answer a resounding NO! I just saw it last wknd and HATED IT! UGH. What was with all that pretentious theater? It ruined it. IMO. Kyra, is no Garbo or Leigh. Had it not been for the breathtakingly beautiful actor playing Vronsky, I would've walked out. Even so, I was bored through most of it. Should not have been remade. The only aspect handled a bit better than the other versions is it expanded the Levin role a bit more...........Thankfully I had a free pass and didnt spend any money to see it, just time........

A work colleague told me about that part. He liked it. I have been dubious. I so rarely see films in the theater anymore, so I wait until I get some good feedback.

I think "Lincoln" was worth seeing on the big screen. I can wait for "AK" to come to TV -- which I predict it eventually will since Oxygen shows "Pride & Prejudice" with Keira Knightly every other weekend, it seems.

I didnt understand what Stoppard was trying to say, as parts of the film were filmed outdoors. It just made for a weird juxtaposition. And it ruined the ending. I thought Kyra was out of her depth, but otherwise, technically it was well made..........not my cup of tea ( I liked the two other versions...flawed though they may be. At least they were filmed as a film........)

Yeah, either one way or the other. For awhile I started to accept it, and then they'd go outdoors. Did they run out of production money? (LOL) I started getting very tired of that ballroom set........and what was wrong with the sound? I dont know if was my print, but I couldnt hear a good deal of the dialogue, it was so low. (turn up the volume when it hits tv, dpompper!)

Edited by: Hibi on Dec 17, 2012 1:43 PM

why would you when you have Garbo in it twice - the silent LOVE and Anna Karenina in which she breaks your heart and you feel the pain of a mother being torn from her child in that scene with Basil Rathbone yelling at her as she descends down the staircase like her heart has been ripped out of her chest - see the Garbo version please!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings