Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How about a forties female month?

Every night they can showcase a 1940's actress. Here are my choices.

Ann Sheridan

Veronica Lake

Betty Grable

Rita Hayworth

Dorothy Lamour

Hedy Lamaar

Paulette Goddard

Lana Turner

Judy Garland

Gene Tierney

Jeanne Crain

Claudette Colbert

Bette Davis

Barbara Stanwyck

Ingrid Bergman

Greer Garson

Ginger Rogers

Katharine Hepburn

Myrna Loy

Rosalind Russell

Joan Crawford

Joan Blondell

Betty Hutton

Olivia Dehavilland

Joan Fontaine

Linda Darnell

Alice Faye

Loretta Young

Ida Lupino

Jane Wyman

Lucille Ball

This is a great idea. Question: Would the concept concentrate on showing their 40s movies, or include some from other decades. If the former, then the chosen stars woud have to have enough movies to cover a 24 hour period (assuming that each would get 24 hours). If possible, I would include a few other names here,and to make room for them, remove some of the superstars with decades-long careers, since they are always going to be spotlighted, like Bette Davis,Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Claudette Colbert and Kate Hepburn so that we can have the likes of:

Eleanor Parker

June Haver

Alexis Smith

Susan Hayward

Lizabeth Scott

Jane Greer

Ava Gardner

Esther Williams

Theresa Russell

Eleanor Powell

Joan Leslie

Deanna Durbin

Maria Montez

Yvonne De Carlo

Gail Russell

Not to mention the numerous "lesser" lights who toiled in mostly unheralded productions, including

Lois Albritton

Adele Jergens

Janet Blair

Evelyn Keyes

Marguerite Chapman

Lynn Bari

Nancy Kelly

Evekyn Ankers

Gloria Jean

Vivian Blaine

Mary Beth Hughes

Virginia Gilmore

Carole Landis

Frances Langford

Nina Foch

Marjorie Weaver

Susannah Foster

Simone Simon

.....Among others. The list is endless, Maybe it could be a year round tribute lol.

I like the idea as a concept, especially if it were centered on noirs and femmes fatales, but I don't think you could find enough 40's femmes who made enough 40's movies to make it into a SUTS-length tribute. OTOH if you chose three or four of their best movies without dragging in too many Same Old / Same Olds, it'd be a perfect idea for prime time. Of course you'd have to choose a month when the SOTM was a woman, but that shouldn't be too hard with Ida Lupino around. (hint, hint)

That's a great list of ladies, it includes almost everyone. However, I don't think it's a particularly good programming idea. Because it's so general, it will end up being a re-packaging of movies that have been shown quite often, in the guise of a "new series." But regarding a tribute to *Ida Lupino*: maybe that would provide an opportunity to show, finally, *The Light that Failed*.