Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screen size in HD

torrone

Since TCM went to HD I no longer get a full screen picture on my TV. It is cropped about 6 inches on the sides. I have tried all of the different screen formats my TV offers but all have the teruncated screen. On my other, non-HD, DVR I get a full screen picture. Is there any way to get a full screen picture with an HD DVR? Most, if not all, of the movies shown on TCM are not HD anyway, so why the change?

My DVD recorder does that to 4:3 films if I record them off TCM HD. There are borders on all sides.

To get around that, I use the TCM SD channel when recording the oldies. I've got upscaling anyway on playback, so it ends up being the equivalent.

> {quote:title=torrone wrote:}{quote}

> I have DirecTV. The only channel offered is channel 256 which is TCM HD. I don't see a listing for the channel TCM SD. What service do you have and where is the SD channel?

I have DirecTV too and get both TCM and TCM-HD. Whoever set up your box has it set to only show the HD version of channels that are available in both SD and HD, which is how most people want it. Here's how to change that.

Push "menu" on your remote then click on "settings and help".

When you see the next list click on "settings" then "display" and then "preferences"

Arrow to the right and click on where it says "hide SD duplicates" and change that to "show all channels". You'll then see a message that tells you that it will take a few minutes for the changes to take affect Press "OK" then exit out and you're all set. After that the program guide will list both TCM and TCM-HD and will show each as being on 256.

Keep in mind that doing this will also bring back the SD versions of other HD channels too and not just TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings