Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Christmas Movie

ERROL23

No doubt about it. Hands down, my favorite Christmas movie is "Remember the Night." Although this is not a well-known movie, TCM does manage to show it often. For anyone who loves Christmas movies, don't let this one pass you by. Stanwyck and MacMurray are wonderful, as is the supporting cast. A real feel-good movie.

Terrence.

It was done for TV in the late sixties and it's under an hour (for commercials probably), but I hope "A Christmas Memory" with Geraldine Page qualifies, because it's definitely my favorite. It's based on a Truman Capote story and he does the narration. The story touches something very deep inside me and Geraldine Page is transcendent. PBS and A&E have both shown it in the past, but it hasn't been around recently. There's a newer (expanded) version with Patty Duke, but the original is in a class by itself.

Since we're also now moving into TV territory, I'd like to mention that I also love to watch the Christmas episode of "The Honeymooners". It's the perfect mix of humor and a touch of the sentimental. I also love to see that Twilight Zone Christmas episode with Art Carney ("Night of the Meek").

Watching the classic Christmas movies/TV episodes really puts me in the holiday spirit. I have a bunch of things I try to see one after the next if there's time. Then, when I'm sufficiently in the spirit, I go out and buy myself presents. ;)

{font:Times New Roman}Since TV movies are being included in the mix I want to include *Stubby Pringle’s Christmas* which was a *Hallmark* movie starring Beau Bridges and Julie Harris many years ago. For some reason it hasn’t been shown since and I’d love to see it again. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Stubby is a cowhand on a 1800s ranch who is held in great regard by the family. Each year the nearby town has a Christmas Eve party to which the hands are invited. The previous year he had met a young woman there and for the last year has dreamed of nothing but meeting her again. He has even ordered a box of chocolates to present to her which gets him ridicule from the other hands.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}

He starts off for town but sees a light and investigates. He discovers an ailing woman and her two children alone while her husband has gone off seeking work. He helps her clean up her place, chop and decorate a tree and finally seeing that they have nothing for themselves shares the candy. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}

He finally leaves for town again hoping he’s in time for the party but wondering if the woman even remembers him. Here the story cuts to the party where we see a beautiful, wholesome-looking wonam singing a carol while her eyes look for something or somebody. These few seconds is why you end up remembering the film. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Stubby arrives after the party has ended; the only thing left is a piece of-what else-fruitcake. From that brief party scene we know that his acts of kindness have cost him dearly. We are left hoping that this lovable fellow gets another chance with the lady who knows quality when she sees it. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I have a tape of *A Charlie Brown Christmas* and the sequel and watched them Wednesday night as it’s not Christmas without it.{font}

That's Mr. McGoo, and you're right, it's not bad.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Christmas films. I do like the classics, like *It's a Wonderful Life*, and *Miracle on 34th Street*. I like *Holiday Affair*, mostly because of Mitchum, and Janet Leigh. I like *We're No Angels*, showing on TCM this month.

One holiday film I would really like to see, is the last cartoon produced by Max Fleischer, 1948"s Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I don't think I've seen it since the 50s.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

VX, your mention reminded me of all the great Rankin-Bass animated Christmas TV specials in the 1960s: the stop-motion "Rudolph", and the others. Then there was "Frosty the Snowman". Oh how I cried when he melted in the hothouse! :^0

My favorite is It's A Wonderful Life, but I also love Pocketful Of Miracles, which I don't think anyone has mentioned. It is a remake of Lady For A Day. Frank Capra made both movies, the second one being with Bette Davis and Glenn Ford. But it also has a great supporting cast including Thomas Mitchell and Edward Everett Horton. Peter Falk was nominated for a Supporting Oscar and is hilarious. It was Capra's last movie and seems to be forgotten at Christmas. I don't know why because it takes place entirely at Christmas and it is a great story.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings