Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

calvin (& others) the March schedule is in place...

TopBilled

I will let calvin give us the full run-down, because she does such a good job with that.

I noticed that Dean Stockwell gets an evening. There is a birthday tribute for Edward Everett Horton. Also, Lori will be pleased to note that John Garfield gets a full day.

images-216.jpg

Speaking of Garfield, I am disappointed that TCM did not make him SOTM. Next March is the centenary of his birth. Surely, Mr. Garfield deserves more than just a day for such a milestone and so many of his films are in the Turner Library.

images-412.jpg

There is not one bit of recognition for the late great Macdonald Carey who also has a 100th birthday in March. While most of his films were at Paramount, he did make EXCUSE MY DUST at MGM and a few Columbia pictures that TCM could have acquired if it was a priority. Plus, this would've been a great opportunity to get SHADOW OF A DOUBT from Universal. Yes, Macdonald Carey should have had an evening. And John Garfield should have had the whole month.

Thank you TopBilled for the wonderful information. Well at least to me and other John Garfield fans it is wonderful info.

Actually, John Garfield was born on March 4, 1913 so this coming March 2013 will be the 100^th^ anniversary or centennial of his birth. I am hoping that his all day tribute is on March 4^th^.

I do appreciate your suggestion that he would be SOTM in 2014. Maybe in 2014 John Garfield can be honored as the SOTM since a friend of mine and fellow Garfield fan told me the last time Garfield was SOTM was in 2009. I think he is due up for that honor, at least in IMHO.

However for now, I am very happy he is getting a full tribute day.

Thank you again.

Lori

P.S. I am hoping that our friend "ginnyfan" gets his wish and Virginia Weidler gets her tribute day. I believe her birthday falls on March 21st.

Edited by: Lori3 on Nov 29, 2012 11:55 AM

Thank you again TopBilled. I know someone who has been requesting "Saturday's Children" so she will be happy with the news that film will be shown (I like it too), and I have been requesting "Pride of Marines" so I happy about that film.

Oh heck, I am just very happy they (TCM) will be airing some of his films on the 100th anniversary of his birth.

Wonderful news for me and other John Garfield fans, and of course his daughter Julie I am sure will be happy and appreciate the TCM programmers.

Thanks

Lori

Thanks TopBilled. I am working on the schedule now and should have something by late tomorrow.

I can tell you SOTM is Greer Garson. So strange that there are so many actresses in a row that are SOTM - Constance Bennett, Barbara Stanwyck, Loretta Young, and now Greer Garson. Monday will be her night.

Rather a safe choice for TCM since she made so many movies at MGM.

I am a woman. calvinnme -> Calvin AND Me. So I am not using a guy's name. Calvin is a deceased and beloved Birman cat (1991-2005). TopBillled has the correct information. Although I don't mind if you guys call me calvin.

My Current kitty is a Norwegian Forest Cat.

Calvinnme, thank you for the information about March! So glad about Greer Garson as SOTM! I'm not that big a fan of BS, who is worshipped on this board, though I love many of her films; and I actually don't like Loretta Young, but Greer! I love her and her movies. (In fact, I have a friend in the UK whose father was her first husband.) Teresa Wright once told me a very funny story about Ms. Garson, which I will share in March.

Regarding your name, when I learned you were female, I thought, well, you must be a Calvinist. And maybe you are, but the story you tell is far more enchanting.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> calvinnme -> Calvin AND Me. So I am not using a guy's name. Calvin is a deceased and beloved Birman cat (1991-2005).

I do sincerely hope that you can forgive me that I now have a mental image of you being a tiger. The association comes from Calvin and Hobbes being one of my all-time favorite comic strips. Hobbes is intelligent, helpful, erudite, sophisticated, fun-loving and has retractable claws. I see most of those traits in your posts. :)

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

>

> My current kitty is a Norwegian Forest Cat.

>

They're beautiful! I'm sure you're enjoying him/her.

My "little buddy" is a ragdoll cat with coloring and markings that make some think he's Siamese. He's peacefully and adorably slumbering in my lap at this very moment.

And oh yeah, he's only the most beautiful creature in the entire universe! (But I'll be glad to give you equal time to say the same about your kitty!)

>. I am working on the schedule now and should have something by late tomorrow. I can tell you SOTM is Greer Garson.

Thanks calvin, can't wait to see it. I will probably create a separate thread about Greer as SOTM, so there is a discussion that focuses entirely on her.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings