Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRIGHTON ROCK

Sepiatone

Sounds like the title of some "British Invasion" movie doesn't it?

I actually wanted to bring this up yesterday, but got too wrapped up in other threads.

I've seen this movie before, and it made me snicker. Made me snicker the other night when I watched it again! It's not that the movie was so bad it made me laugh. It's actually quite good.

It's RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH that makes me snicker.

Rick's a fine actor. And he did quite well in this movie. It's just that he looked so YOUNG. He seemed to look like a 15 year old trying to be tough. NOT the menacing homicidal maniac he was portraying. More like British film's answer to ELISHA COOK JR. if you ask me. And he was SO small and slight, I fancy my five-year-old niece could put the "whoop-azz" on him. Giving his character the nickname "Pinky" didn't really help, either.

My wife thought his visage then was a far cry from the guy who played Kris Kringle in the '90's remake of *Miracle on 34th Street.* Indeed, I have trouble with the connotation too.

Sepiatone

Rick's a fine actor. And he did quite well in this movie. It's just that he looked so YOUNG. He seemed to look like a 15 year old trying to be tough. NOT the menacing homicidal maniac he was portraying.

Well, he WAS supposed to be playing a 17-year-old, same age as his girlfriend. You remember the references, one when he wanted to marry her to shut her up and one of the other mobsters said, "You're both under age." I couldn't visualize him as 17, with that hat on, however.

Whoa, he didn't play Kris Kringle, DID HE? Ew.

Bad enough to find out that Gwenn was a horrid actor in other movies and it's a stretch to accept Gwenn with his rug, but Dick as KK? Ew.

I've not seen BR before, but I did see a remake, I'm pretty sure, with possibly Tom Hardy, and hoo boy was it brutal and much better. WISH I could remember the name. Won't my face be red if it were Brighton Rock? :)

I hope mark's seen it by now, but what did you think of the ending, Sepiatone? Made me puke. THE RECORD SKIPS so Little Miss Starry Eyed never knows her beloved is a psychopathic misogynistic nutter who, luckily for her, is dead as a doornail, hoping against hope that he didn't survive the fall?

Wow, what a typical cop-out ending, where the stupid female is left to her stupid fantasies about her stupid choices in men.

Thanks, helenbaby. Odd, for the life of me I don't remember Helen Mirren and don't know Sam Riley, but he was incredibly evil.

I doubt the 2010 version ended as the old one did? I can't believe I saw it, and promptly forgot it.

mark, zoweee, did you see The Judge Steps Out today? Again, if not for your Groovy Movie News and Ann Sothern, I never ever woulda bothered with this sleeper.

WHAT A GEM! Right until the last second. I've not sure if I've ever seen Alexander Knox before or just never paid any attention to him, but he was absolutely excellent in the part.

I hope you saw the movie or DVR'ed it. It was simply perfect.

Thank you also to TCM. If not for some of their programming, I never would have the pleasure of having seen gems like The Judge Steps Out and Impact.

That's kinda part of my point, Dothery. Attenborough was 24 when he made this flick, but LOOKS somewhat younger than the 17 year old you say his character's supposed to be( must have missed that referrence in all the heavy British.).

I also thought the ending was out of place. One can imagine the poor girl got around to placing a shilling or something to the tone arm of the phonograph and hear him call her a ****, but it left me a bit frustrated at that point.

Don't "eww" too much folks. The 34th street remake wasn't TOO bad, and Rick did pretty well as Kris Kringle. As most of the people who worked on the original had a hand in the Mara Wilson/Attenborough remake, I'm not going to question their direction of plot line. Rick's "Kringle" isn't fully up to Edmund Gwenn's snuff, but still comes off as truly likeable. I'd say he lies somewhere between Gwenn and Sebastian Cabot.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Thanks, helenbaby. Odd, for the life of me I don't remember Helen Mirren and don't know Sam Riley, but he was incredibly evil.

>

> I doubt the 2010 version ended as the old one did? I can't believe I saw it, and promptly forgot it.

>

>

>

>

>

> mark, zoweee, did you see The Judge Steps Out today? Again, if not for your Groovy Movie News and Ann Sothern, I never ever woulda bothered with this sleeper.

>

>

>

>

>

> WHAT A GEM! Right until the last second. I've not sure if I've ever seen Alexander Knox before or just never paid any attentiion to him, but he was absolutely excellent in the part.

>

>

>

>

>

> I hope you saw the movie or DVR'ed it. It was simply perfect.

>

>

> Thank you also to TCM. If not for some of their programming, I never would have the pleasure of having seen gems like The Judge Steps Out and Impact.

>

I know how you feel, watching a movie then forgetting things about it. Like last night, I'd seen the Gabin film before but didn't remember how it ended, even though I liked it a lot when I saw it a few years ago.

I loved the movie this am as well.

Edited by: helenbaby on Dec 1, 2012 10:24 AM

If you want to see a completely different Knox, watch for the film None Shall Escape. Had he not been playing the type of character he played in the film, I say it was Oscar worthy. I won't go into details lest I spoil it, but it's a good, almost great little film. There's another film where he's as charming as he was in The Judge Steps Out called Over 21, with Irene Dunne. It's cute and they make a believable couple. It's about a newspaper man who's drafted into WW2 and his wife, who is also a famous author, follows him to basic training, living in modest off base housing.

This February, one of the few things that I'm looking forward to seeing is Knox starring in WILSON. Years later, he would play the President of the U.S. once again in an uncredited bit in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. Ironic thing is that being born in Canada, he could never have been elected had he gone into politics.

His Van Weyden in THE SEA WOLF is also worthy of mention.

I first saw *Brighton Rock* (the original) back in the 80s, actually when I was on my honeymoon in Britain. ( On an ancient TV in an equally ancient bed and breakfast....it was fun.)

I was hugely impressed by it. The story, the "toughness" of the characters, and Richard Attenborough's performance.

It made me want to read the Graham Greene novel, which I did as soon as I returned to Canada. I found it completely engrossing and very moving. The film version is a pretty faithful rendition of Greene's novel.I remember being both appalled and fascinated by the character of Pinky White. Cruelty and guilt wrapped up in one messed-up young man.

Also...I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet: Graham Greene, a devout Roman Catholic, was concerned - almost obsessed - with Catholiscm all his life, and this is reflected in most of his work. Evelyn Waugh was another "Catholic on steroids" - except I believe in Waugh's case it was a conversion.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings