Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DEANNA DURBIN FILM FESTIVAL IN PALO ALTO, CA THIS DECEMBER

d120421

As a salute to Deanna for her 91st birthday this December 4th, and as part of its' ongoing salute to Universal's 100th birthday, the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, CA will be holding a month long Deanna Durbin Film Festival during which it will show all of her films.

Here is a link to the program/schedule:

http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/calendars/Deanna%20Durbin.html

And here is a link to an article in the San Francisco Classic Voice about the Festival and Deanna:

http://www.sfcv.org/article/deanna-durbin-is-alive-and-well

The Stanford Theatre is my home away from home as I live just 20 minutes from Palo Alto. They have been running a Universal Film Festival, and the Deanna Durbin tribute is just part of that lineup. I plan to attend most of the double bills of her films as this would be a once in a lifetime chance to see them on the big screen. In fact, I just got home tonight from seeing Donald O'Connor and Peggy Ryan in CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, along with another of our board members Countessdelave.

markus21 - do you live in the SF Bay area? I would encourage everyone who lives in the area to attend this festival and support all the effort made to put this program together.

markus21 - do you live in the SF Bay area? I would encourage everyone who lives in the area to attend this festival and support all the effort made to put this program together.

Hi Jezebel38:

Unfortunately, like ginnyfan, I live on the wrong coast, otherwise I'd make a point of attending as many screenings as I could. I agree that it's important for classic film fans to support programs like this one.

I love Deanna Durbin. My first exposure to her was at a friend's who used to run 16mm films in his living room on Sunday nights. When I got home, I told my pop about the movie I'd just seen and he told me that he was madly in love with DD when he was a kid going to the movies.

I bought a CD collection of her most popular songs years ago and crank it up every now and then.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> > They have been running a Universal Film Festival, and the Deanna Durbin tribute is just part of that lineup.

> What other Universal favorites are getting the spotlight?

They are showing films chronologically - James Whale and Margaret Sullavan were some highlights of previous screenings:

http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/calendars/Universal%20Part%201.html

> {quote:title=Jezebel38 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> > > They have been running a Universal Film Festival, and the Deanna Durbin tribute is just part of that lineup.

> > What other Universal favorites are getting the spotlight?

> They are showing films chronologically - James Whale and Margaret Sullavan were some highlights of previous screenings:

> http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/calendars/Universal%20Part%201.html

All these and many, many more should be on TCM...MADAME SPY (Fay Wray), CHEATING CHEATERS (Fay Wray), THE COUNTESS OF MONTE CRISTO (Fay Wray), PRIVATE JONES (Lee Tracy), I LIKE IT THAT WAY (Gloria Stuart), THE LOVE CAPTIVE (Gloria Stuart), THE GREAT IMPERSONATION (Edmund Lowe), HALF A SINNER (Joel McCrea), NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (Alan Mowbray), SHE GETS HER MAN (ZaSu Pitts), AFFAIRS OF A GENTLEMAN (Paul Lukas), ONE EXCITING ADVENTURE (Binnie Barnes), CHINATOWN SQUAD (Lyle Talbot), DESTINATION UNKNOWN (Ralph Bellamy), AFRAID TO TALK (Eric Linden), SCANDAL FOR SALE (Charles Bickford), et al.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings