Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE LOCKET and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER tonight!!! Groove!

markbeckuaf

Don't miss these two totally groovy flix in prime time tonight!!! THE LOCKET is a really cool noir from 1946, starring Lorraine Day, Mitch, Brian Aherne and my main man, Ricardo Cortez!!! Flashbacks within flashbacks, and it's been a while since I've seen this gem, so wow!

Followed by DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, an often overlooked classic horror film from the latter 30's Universal cycle, from 1936 and starring Gloria Holden in the title role, as well as Otto Kruger, Nan Grey (hotcha!!), my main man Edward Van Sloan (as Prof Van Helsing, who else??), and Irving Pichel as a creepy macabre manservant! How they ever got the seductive scene between Gloria and Nan past the censors is anybody's guess, but I'm glad they did!

After a tough week of work, this evening is welcome to the maxxxxx!!! Thank you, TCM!! You're the bomb-diggy!

THE LOCKET is one of the best noirs ever made. A unique story and a great cast.

It really does contain a flashback within a flashback within a flashback.

You were right, it really is one of the best noirs ever. Surprisingly, considering all the flashbacks, not that hard to follow and kept me mesmerised, wanting to believe she didn't do it.

It was Laraine Day's best performace that I have ever seen.

*Dracula's Daughter* is one of the great horror films. Also on tonight/wee hours is *Five Million Years to Earth* (aka Quatermass and the Pit), one of the great horror/sci-fi films, really intelligent, well done film, with some truly creepy scenes and an intricate, well thought out story.

Ah, another actor who only improved with age! I mean Otto Kruger who is much better looking in the 50s in such movies as *High Noon* as he is here. That wonderful unmistakable voice is just the same though. I finally recognized Gloria Holden as the woman who loses her husband and son to the outlaws of *Dodge City.* She does have a strange beauty that fits the character. I almost didn't watch this but am glad I did.

Interesting fact about the younger actress in Dracula's Daughter -- Marguerite Churchill: Her daughter Orin O'Brien (with George O'Brien) has been a double bass player with The New York Philharmonic since 1966. She was the first woman orchestra member of the NYPhil.

That has happened to me too in the past Janet, watching a movie that I have been dying to see only to fall asleep. However, I ALWAYS record movies that I like...something you may want to consider, well worth it!

P.S. Don't you hate when that happens!!!:)

Never noticed the brief appearance of Bela Lugosi (albeit his likeness) on a tapestry hanging in the castle near the end of *DRACULA'S DAUGHTER*. This was pointed out by another poster, in another thread in this forum. I had to rewind the dvr to find it, but there it was. I've seen this film many times over the years, and tonight was the first time I ever noticed it.

>DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936) & THE WOLF MAN (1941) - UNIVERSAL HORROR CELEBRATION BREW & VIEW Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 7:00pm

>35mm UNIVERSAL HORROR CELEBRATION $10 double feature. Both films will be screened with correct aspect ratio projector lenses.

A bunch of us are going to attend this fantastic 35mm double feature at a vintage neighborhood theater. Although I've seen The Wolf Man on the big screen before, I've never seen DD.

Even though it's a weeknight, I better NOT fall asleep!

I'll look for that Lugosi tapestry! Thanks for the heads up.

>It was Laraine Day's best performace that I have ever seen.

I agree. She was so good in this film. I've never seen her better than this, and this was very outstanding.

I think the director did a great job, because I noticed so many clever scenes, the staging was good, the camera movements were just right. The lighting was good. The expressions on the faces of the men when they realized she was crazy. And I think the whole cast did a great job, especially the mean lady.

I hadn't seen Dracula's Daughter before and I was impressed by Kruger. First time I can remember seeing him in a staring role. I of course know him from Murder My Sweet and HItchcock's Saboteur as well as many other movies.

But you must like your men on the older side. Kruger was born in 1885 and made his first movie in 1915! So by the 50s he was in his mid to late 60s.

Gloria Holder was perfect for her role as well. The only thing I wondered about was how an arrow killed her. Didn't Van Helsing say it took a stake to kill a vampire. Oh well.

As for The Locket; I agree with those that say this is Day's best performance. I felt the comment RO made about her (something like being beautiful but boring ), was on target, but in The Locket we see her display more emotion and of course when the part called for that frozen face look Day had that down pat.

Regarding THE LOCKET.... That scene near the end, of her looking down at the music box, with the camera looking up at her face on the inside of the veil, is just remarkable. What a clever way to photograph it. And it is one of the most beautifully photographed scenes in all movie history.

Let me ask everyone a question. Wasn?t that locket she was given at the end of the movie the very same one she had received as a child? That mean old lady earlier in the film was the same lady that gave her the locket at the end of the film. Same music box too. So, turns out she was marrying into the family in which the matriarch was the same mean old lady.

With regards to your question: I wondered the same thing! Your question was the very reason I pulled out the book Film Noir (Ward Silver), to see if I could get an answer from the book (e.g. the names of the characters having the same last name or something like that ), and I couldn't find anything.

I think that Nancy only sees what she believes is that original locket and cigarette music box. i.e. the locket and box are different but because of the trauma she sees what she believes to be the original locket and box. To me this makes more sense than those actual items coming back into her life all those years latter.

What I did find out from the book was that Olivia DeHavilland and Joan Fontaine's mother was in the movie. Lilian Fontaine played the role of Lady Wyndham (the women whose necklace was stolen).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Dec 1, 2012 2:16 PM

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Dracula's Daughter...

> Gloria Holden was perfect for her role. The only thing I wondered about was how an arrow killed her. Didn't Van Helsing say it took a stake to kill a vampire. Oh well.

Maybe it was "an arrow" escape and they were planning to bring her back for another sequel.

That was EXACTLY what I took away from it, that the locket was the same one she received (or stole) as a child and that she was marring into the same family...isn't that why she became unhinged as she was walking down the isle, because that realization came to her and caused her to faint...the different expressions she showed as she was walking down the isle were priceless!

I felt the exact same way Fred, when the camera looked up her face inside her veil, that shot just gave me goosebumbs, soo breathtaking!

It truly was a remarkable movie with a lot of credit going to Miss Day!

As far as her being 'crazy', more like 'crazy likea FOX'.....

Well Fred and you might be correct after all; In the book Film Noir it does say 'Just prior to the ceremony, however, the locket is given to Nancy,,,'. Note it say 'THE locket' and not 'a locket'.

So the use of 'THE' implies it is the same locket. One other thing; Nancy appears to NOT remember that she was married twice before. While she admits she knows who Blair is, she clearly says he was NOT her former husband. Was Nancy just lying or did she really forget that Blair was her husband as a way to put the past behind her?

Anyhow if the plot was written to have the locket be THE locket I think this is a flaw in the storyline. Instead a more psychological storyline would have Nancy NOT remember her former husbands since they tie her to her past and her illness and the site of seeing her former husband along with seeing a locket LIKE the one from her past trigger her trauma.

I knew a lady, years ago, who had multiple personalities. She would change whenever it suited her. I think she realized each personality, but she became experienced at lying to keep multiple stories going. At times I think she did NOT know what another personality did, but other times I'm sure she did know. But she was a good liar like Nancy.

Nancy would have to acknowledge knowing the men, since many people saw them together, but she could lie about being married to them. If caught in that lie, such as someone turning up the preacher who married them, then she could jump into another lie and say that it's true, she was married to them, but it was such a bad experience she wanted to forget all about it.

I think this movie is mainly about multiple personalities. I think the good Nancy knew the other Nancy stole the jewelry, but the good Nancy covered up for the bad Nancy because.... well, they were sisters.

And I think Nancy did kill the guy in the bedroom, so she could steal his wife's necklace, which the man had in the bedroom.

Katherine Emery played both the mean mother of the rich little girl, and also Gene Raymond's mother, Mrs. Willis. I didn't fully realize this until I saw the movie again this time.

http://images.zap2it.com/images/celeb-81809/katherine-emery-1.jpg

When she gave Nancy the locket at the wedding, she told her she once had a daughter about her age who was going to wear it at her wedding, but she died young, so she's giving the locket to Nancy. That's why I think it is the same locket, and the same music box, and the same tune. In fact, it's probably the same house.

Little Gloria Donovan played the rich little girl, who died later. That was her locket the mean mother took back from Nancy, and then gave back to Nancy at the wedding. This is why the locket was so valuable and had to be taken back from 10-year-old Nancy, since it had been in the family for years. We didn't learn that until the end of the movie. And I didn't realize it until my 5th viewing of the movie, this last time. :)

http://www.childstarlets.com/lobby/bios/portraits/gloria_donovan12.jpg

Well call me a sap, but I think the good Nancy was NOT aware of the actions of the bad Nancy. Thus when she said Blair wasn't her ex-husband she really meant it. i.e. that good Nancy really believed she had never been married before. The good Nancy was unaware that bad Nancy was a thief etc...

Thus the femme fatal in the movie is the bad Nancy (just to keep the noir theme going!). It wasn't only the lives of the men in her life that the bad Nancy destroyed but the good Nancy as well.

So at the end when the good Nancy does realize there is a bad Nancy (due to the locket), the good Nancy completely breaksdown. This explains the breakdown. Because if each side of Nancy knew about the other all along, there was no reason for Nancy to have a breakdown. The good Nancy would of just covered for her 'sister'.

You might be right about the two separate Nancy personalities, and the nice Nancy not knowing about the bad Nancy. I'm basing my judgment on my own personal experience with one person. Your theory about it fits more into the Three Faces of Eve type of situation. But even in that movie, Ms Black knew Mrs. White but Mrs. White didn't know Ms Black. The Jane character came out later and seemed to be the most normal one.

My way of thinking about Nancy is based on the way the good Nancy so quickly confessed to Robert Mitchum that she did steal the first bracelet. She tried to justify it by telling of her early childhood experience. But after Mitchum reacted badly, then the good Nancy began to deny there was a bad Nancy, but I think she still knew about her but just didn't admit that she continued to steal jewelry.

..So at the end when the good Nancy does realize there was a bad Nancy (due to the locket).the good Nancy breaksdown. This explains the breakdown. Because if each side of Nancy knew about the other, there was no reason for Nancy to have a breakdown.

jamesj: As I mentioned in a reply to FredC, I felt the moment she saw the locket when her MOTHER-IN-LAW to be handed it to her, she realized she was marring into the family and THAT is the reason she had the breakdown, realizing she was marrying into the family. The fact that her Mother-in-law to be handed it to her is signifficant to that conclusion, it just seems to fit...

Yes, I understand that Fred and you have a different POV and your take may indeed be the correct one, but to me it is very farfetched. i.e. that Nancy would just happen to marry into the family that her mother worked for 20 or so years ago.

So while the mother-in-law to be handed her a locket that doesn't mean, per se, that it was the same locket. Either way as I said if your take is the correct one to me that is a flaw in the storyline. Just too much of a coincidence for me.

I'm prepared to go either way with either theory. The only reason I think it was the same locket was because the same actress played the mean lady and the last groom's mother, and she mentioned that the locket had belonged to her young daughter who had died. And the cigarette case was the same and had the same tune.

I think the good Nancy, at that point in time, and having just been fussed at by her former husband, suddenly was shocked into realizing what a bad girl she had been when she was a kleptomaniac. I think the good Nancy knew all along that she was a kleptomaniac. I think that is common with kleptomania.

Regarding such odd coincidences in movie plots, my feeling is that if we didn't have such odd coincidences, which occasionally do happen in real life, then there would be no story to tell, and no movie, because the good Nancy would have married her second husband and continued on as before, as a kleptomaniac, instead of having the breakdown at the end of this movie.

According to Wikipedia: ",,, she (Nancy) becomes engaged to the son (Raymond) of the woman who'd accused her of thievery,,,,".

So yea, Fred, this is one of those odd coincidences, which has you noted do occur in real life but clearly occur more frequency in the movies!

I guess I just like my plot idea better. Oh well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings