3:30 a.m. THE LAW AND THE LADY (1951) with Michael Wilding & Fernando Lamas

5:15 a.m. JULIUS CAESAR (1953) with Marlon Brando

*_MARCH 25_*

8 p.m. STRANGE LADY IN TOWN (1955) with Dana Andrews & Cameron Mitchell

10 p.m. HER TWELVE MEN (1954) with Robert Ryan & Barry Sullivan

11:45 p.m. SCANDAL AT SCOURIE (1953) with Walter Pidgeon & Agnes Moorhead

1:30 a.m. SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO (1960) with Ralph Bellamy

4 a.m. THE SINGING NUN (1965) with Debbie Reynolds & Ricardo Montalban

Wow, talk about a month to skip for us fans of the more hardboiled flicks. But after Stanwyck and Young, I can't really be doing much complaining.

Just for reference, are there any movies on that list that *aren't* either costume dramas, films set in the 19th century, harmless light comedies, or blue chippers like Mrs. Miniver, Random Harvest, or Goodbye, Mr. Chips that have been played to death over the years? Garson seems like a very good actress who mostly got cast in genres I can't stand, so I'm hoping to find an exception or two to console me, perhaps set in the present and with a bit of an edge.

Using your criteria, you may want to check out DESIRE ME. Released in late 1947, it is a different kind of film for her. It's set during the present day, shortly after WWII, and is about a husband (Robert Mitchum) imprisoned by the Germans. She did not have a good time filming that one (she was badly injured on location), but I think her efforts pay off handsomely. It's a most underrated picture.

>AndyM108 posts:

> Garson seems like a very good actress who mostly got cast in genres I can't stand

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking. Oddly enough, you get the best idea of how good an actress she was in her worst movies. Perhaps she was ghettoized because of her exceptional beauty and the sense of self-composure she conveyed.

I agree with Andy and you as it relates to Garson and the genre movies she made. Not really my cup of tea, but I will say that when I see a Garson performance in one of these period movies I cannot think of another actress that does this type of role better than Garson. Only Bette Davis had a better run of best actress nominations than Garson.

I also see the point Fiance is making; My wife saw Garson and commented on how beautiful she was. Why I can see the beauty there is also a lack of sex appeal. I used to think this was mostly because of the period settings and associated costumes but even in a modern role like in Adventure with Gable, I found Blondell a lot more sexy than Garson.

I also see the point Fiance is making; My wife saw Garson and commented on how beautiful she was. Why I can see the beauty there is also a lack of sex appeal. I used to think this was mostly because of the period settings and associated costumes but even in a modern role like in Adventure with Gable, I found Blondell a lot more sexy than Garson.

IMO sex appeal is directly proportional to the amount of warmth and/or joie de vivre an actress conveys. I'll take even a slightly chunky middle aged Blondell or Garland over a stoneface like Garbo any day of the week, even though my general preference for women is sizes 0 through 2. In fact I'd take Esther Blodgett over nearly any Hurrell subject in a blink. Beauty is great, but in the non-kinky world it's kind of hard to form a relationship with a picture.

Not every lead actress is going to be a starlet or a sexpot. Greer's class and intelligence make her performances a delight to watch. I think her films have a timeless quality to them, a special magic. Who else could have played Mrs. Miniver so well?

Yeah, another excuse to trot out a lot of retreads that have been shown endlessly (nothing against Greer). But I guess they have to show a certain amount of "old favorites" in their SOTM series........

RaquelVixen wrote

*With today's airing of Strange Lady in Town (1955) it appears there is not a single TCM premiere of a Greer Garson film for the entire month of March. It would be quite an understament to call this schedule underwhelming.*

Hibi wrote:

*Yeah, another excuse to trot out a lot of retreads that have been shown endlessly (nothing against Greer). But I guess they have to show a certain amount of "old favorites" in their SOTM series........*

Well, Greer Garson made maybe two dozen films in her career, so TCM doesn;t have a whole lot to choose from, especially for a month-long salute. With 6 movies per night (assuming it's four nights and not 5), all her movies can conceivably be shown (I haven't seen the actual schedule). Hopefully there won't be any padding, such as her several cameo appearances.

I think there are Greer Garson fans and enthusiasts, not necessarily completists. She elicits admiration, not fanaticism. And there's absolutely nothing wrong it.

On another note, I think there is some false logic being applied to this thread about Greer and her movies, but because emotions tend to run high during the holiday season and there may be some touchy readers, I am not going to comment on these items till closer to March.

I LOVE Greer Garson. Way more than I like this month's SOTM. But I recognize that Greer Garson's films are widely known and widely shown, and that there are not that many of them, compared to American actresses who started very young and worked into old age. Greer got her college degrees, studying in England and France. She took a job, worked in the theater for a while, and was discovered by Louis B. Mayor. She began her first film at the age of 34, unlike many of the American ladies like BS who went from babyhood to showgirl to films at an early age. And to me, (and I know this invites criticism), although I like -- and even love -- many of BS's films, I think she was always basically a showgirl. Every one of her roles is some version of that.

So, the film output for Greer is less, but her films are bigger and better. Mrs. Miniver had a huge impact, not only as a great film, but as an important piece of propoganda for the U.S. market.