Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MilesArcher

Theme Songs

Isn't this strange, muddy? It's Eddie Duchin's theme music, but you have an updated lyric and title. Duchin's theme was called "My Twilight Dream". Here it is.

Eddie Duchin died from leukemia in 1951. His son Peter carried on the family tradition and he also used "My Twilight Dream" as his theme song. Obviously, the Chopin melody was a popular one, because "To Love Again" was another version in the mid-fifties. By the way, It was Tyrone Power who starred in "The Eddie Duchin Story". You're up next, skipper.

Thanks, Miles....I was in grade school when "The Eddy Duchin Story" came out so the only adaptation of Chopin's Nocturne that I know is "To Love Again". I just assumed the song originated with him...

Now, there's a band leader whose theme song was an old lively Italian ballad that was featured in a Jane Powell movie. Also, a famous crooner had a famous but slower version of the song in the forties....

Name the band leader, the song, the Jane Powell movie, and the crooner...

Let's see now. In order, Harry James, "Ciribiribin", "Hit The Deck", Frank Sinatra. Here is the clip from "Hit the Deck".

And here is Harry James .

And Frank.

Take your pick.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Dec 8, 2012 3:46 PM

I sometimes do resist temptation for a while to give someone else a chance, but in this case, you were right. Now, classical music themes have always been popular in radio, movies, TV and popular songs. Since most of them are in the public domain, the users don't have to pay rights fees. You may remember a sixties song called "Lovers Concerto" by a group called "The Toys". It was based on a theme by Bach. Another big band had a hit with an arrangement of a classical theme. It was so popular that it became their theme song. They even performed it in a movie that starred George Murphy. Can you name the band, the song, and the movie in which they performed it?

While you're thinking about it, here is Bach's "Minuet in G Major".

And here is "Lover's Concerto". Enjoy!

It's been two days so here are some hints. The original classical piece was composed by a Russian. The band that I referred to later had a singer who went on to host a TV game show, and then a talk show.

Well Miles--I studied classical piano, but I could barely play that one:

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert No. 1--Tonight we love--Freddy Martin's Band--Merv Griffin (Judy use to sub for him during the holidays and sang Merry Little Xmas) gave it away.

Cujas, you got everything but the movie. It was called "Mayor Of 44th Street" and featured George Murphy and Anne Shirley in 1942. Here is a clip:

Merv Griffin, who sang with Freddie Martin at one time, had some small parts in movies in the early fifties, before hosting a game show called "Play Your Hunch". Of course, he is credited with inventing the game show "Jeopardy". Do you remember who his announcer/ sidekick was on his talk show? By the way, it's your turn, cujas.

Miles--before I ever went to England, I got a thing for Fish & Chips because Arthur Treacher, Hollywood's favorite butler, had a franchise in my hometown. And they tasted like the real thing!

Next: Famous theme song for a famous solo musician. The song came from a 40's wartime drama about 2 star-crossed lovers: a girl with a criminal record and a shell-shocked soldier.

Hint: it was also the the name of the movie.

The song "I'll Be Seeing You", composed by Sammy Fain and with lyrics by Irving Kahal, from the movie starring Betty Grable and Joseph Cotten, was always sung by Liberace after each performance....

Miles--I'll be looking at the moon, but I'll be seeing you!

(PS--very big difference entre Ginger Rogers and Betty Grable).

Miles is next--

Edited by: cujas on Dec 17, 2012 4:10 PM

This instrumental trio from the 1940s and 50s, supposed to be a favorite of Mamie Eisenhower, adopted their first hit as their theme song....Later, The Platters' version of the song also became a big hit....Name the group and the song...

Well, I don't know who Mamie Eisenhower liked, but I'll guess that it's The Three Suns. I believe that their theme song was "Twilight Time". They also had a popular version of "Peg O' My Heart". When I was much younger, back when I was known as Half A Mile Archer, my father had a small dance band that played in most of the local clubs. Although I inherited no musical talent, I did learn a lot about the music of the pre-rock and roll era. If I were to look hard enough, I think I would find that I still have a record album by The Three Suns. I remember that I used to get confused with the titles of "Peg O' My Heart" and "Sleepy Time Gal". This is just from an ever fading memory, but I think that the trio was made up of two brothers and a cousin. They played guitar, accordion, and organ. If I'm right, I'll have to go looking for that record album.

The Three Suns, with Artie Dunn on the organ, Al Nevins on the guitar, and Morty Nevins on the accordion, first started playing in 1939. Their first theme song was really "There Are Such Things", but they changed their theme song to "Twilight Time", after this became their first hit in 1944. By the early 1950s several changes occured in their line-up, and by the late fifties and early sixties,the Three Suns pretty much faded from the scene....In 1958, the Platters covered "Twilight Time", resulting in one of their big hits...

Here's The Three Suns' version:

Your turn, Miles...

Thanks. Burns and Allen had a radio show in the forties. When they had their own sitcom on TV in the fifties, they used the same theme song from those radio days. It had originally been in a Broadway show in the twenties. Can you name that tune?

I'm sure that's the version of the tune that was intended for the audiences to relate to while hearing the movies' main titles - the idea of the "Bowery Boys" gang's all here.

But that actually was not the original title of the tune. On the official Music Cue Sheets provided by Monogram Pictures (and later Allied Artists) for legal documentation of all the music used in the films, the title is given as "Come Friends Who Plow the Sea" written by Arthur Sullivan. It's a song from the 1879 Gilbert & Sullivan opera "The Pirates of Penzance". The cue sheets indicate that the tune was arranged for the Bowery Boys movies by Marlin Skiles, then later by Arthur Morton.

The song "Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here" was written (with the tune by Sullivan) in 1917 by D.A. Estron and Theodore Morse.

Let's get back to something a bit simpler that maybe more people can answer. What was Arthur Godfrey's theme song? I'll give you a hint. It had first been recorded by Guy Lmbardo And His Royal Canadians.

Yes, It was "Seems Like Old Times". I had several more hints to give. It was the title of a movie written by Neil Simon and starring Goldie Hawn. It was also sung by Diane Keaton in a much slower version in "Annie Hall'. Good job Terrence. Now it's your turn to post. Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you not familiar with the song, here is Guy Lombardo's recording of it. For those of a certain age, New Year's Eve always brings memories of Guy Lombardo.

And as a New Year's bonus, here is Guy with his famous theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ncPPArxEk

Ok, Terrence, you're up.