Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greer Garson: The Star of the Month for March

Guest obrienmundy

What do you think about the POV that Garson might be the least known, most nominated actress of the golden (studio), era? Of course I don't have polling data but while people with limited knowledge of studio era movies know the names of Davis, Hepburn (both), Monroe, the stars of Gone With the Wind and other famous actresses of the era, I have yet to meet many that know who Garson was.

But as you must know, no actress, other than Davis, was nominated for best actress as many times in such a short period as Garson. My guess is that her pictures are not as popular because mostly they are period films. So while I find Garson somewhat limited as an actress no one did the type of pictures she was known for better than Garson.

Well, Garson sort of semi-retired. She did some tv stuff in her later years, but chose not to work as much as Davis and Hepburn, who worked well into their golden years. Greer stayed on her ranch and endowed theaters in Dallas and Santa Fe. She was more active in philanthropy than film.

I do agree that staying in the game (so to speak), does increase the odds an actress, artist or musician will be known by future generations. Take Davis; While a lot of her latter work wasn't half as good as her 30s - 40s work, many so-so classic movie fans know Davis for her horror type films. e.g. Baby Jane. Kate is known for Coming Home and other late work.

As for Garson's TV work; Just this week I saw the YouTube videos of her in Laugh-In. So yea, she did do some TV work! Garson looked great for her age and it seeing her with those Laugh-In kooks was something.

That sounds great -- I'll have to look at that! But much as I love Greer, her films, which are fewer in number than most stars of her ilk, have been shown fairly regularly. I wish they would have thrown in a TV thing or two. The Little Foxes with Greer as Regina Giddons sounds intriguing.

The Law and the Lady, Greer's version of The Last of Mrs. Cheyney is not considered a great film, but I like it. There are very good scenes with Greer, Michael Wilding, and Marjorie Main.