Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!! Week of Mon Dec 3-Sun Dec 9

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove To!!! Week of Mon, Dec 3-Sun, Dec 9!!!

Rock it! TCM starts us off the right way with a couple of early 30's flix on Monday morning, CYNARA (1932), directed by King Vidor, and starring Ronald Colman and the luscious Kay Francis!!! This is followed by DOWN TO THEIR LAST YACHT, a just after code enforcement 1934 flick with Polly MOran, Mary Boland, my main man Ned Sparks, Sidney Fox, Sterling Holloway and Sydney Blackmer!! I've not seen that one before, so I'm def down with checking it out! Later, at 10:30am, I'll be checking another flick I've not seen before, MARINE RAIDERS from 1944, not always a big war film dude, but this one looks like it has an interesting cast: Pat O'Brien, Robert Ryan, my man Barton MacLane, another of my main men Frank McHugh, and Ruth Hussey! Tough to miss with that cast!!! Then it's Tom Conway and Mona Maris in THE FALCON IN MEXICO (1944)! Dig it!! And though it didn't get a good review, I'm down with checking in on Greer Garson, Dana Andrews, and Nick Adams in STRANGE LADY IN TOWN (1955), which airs at 5:45pm EST!! And...before checking in on prime time stuff, don't miss William Demarest in a silent short hoot, THE NIGHT COURT (1927)!!!

And silents our on our mind as TCM pays tribute to one of the major child stars of the silent era, Baby Peggy!!! Wooohhooooo raisin' the roof over this one!! A 2010 documentary, BABY PEGGY, THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM bookends the tribute on Monday night, once at 8pm and then an encore showing at 11:30pm!! In between, catch Baby Peggy in CAPTAIN JANUARY (1924), BUBBLES (1930), CARMEN JR (1923), SUCH IS LIFE (1924), PEG O' THE MOUNTED (1924), and BABY PEGGY: THE CHILD WONDER (1929)!!! Dig it hard! Most of these are shorts, but they are rockin'!!! TCM keeps up with the kid star theme for the rest of the night, starting with a rare screening of Cagney in WINNER TAKE ALL (1932) a pre-code gem with Marian Nixon, lil Dickie Moore, Guy Kibbee, Virginia Bruce, and Alan Mowbray!!! Followed by a really awesome "private screenings" with Child STars, from 2006, it's one not to miss if you haven't seen it before!! Margaret O'Brien, Jane Withers, Dickie Moore and Darryl Hickman show up to discuss their careers!!! Wowza!!!

Wee hours of the morning (4:45am EST to be exact) finds us with a WWII programmer that looks pretty coolio, ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY (1943) with Pierre Aumont, Susan Peters, Signe Hasso, Reginal Owen and Richard Whorf!!

Then on Tuesday morning at 6:30am kicks off a huge block of flix directed by William Seiter, including lots of precodes and early talkies!!!! Yowza!!! First up, Seiter directs the lovely Corinne Griffith, Grant Withers, and Montagu Love in BACK PAY (1930)!!! Gotta check this one out!!! Then it's Marilyn Miller, and Lawrence Gray in a very rare screening of SUNNY (1930)!!! Then Phillips Lord, Effie L Palmer and Frank Albertson show up in WAY BACK HOME (1932), and finishing off this pre-code block, Helen Twelvetrees, Eric Linden and Arline Judge in YOUNG BRIDE (1932)!!! Totally rad, daddio!!! And, before we hit prime time, we check in with a lite noir entry, at 6:45pm, Mitch, Melvyn Douglas and the radiantly gorgeous and sexy Ava Gardner in MY FORBIDDEN PAST (1951)!!

4am EST finds a gem in the darkness, with the hard-hitting noir, NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950) and though TCM has been screening this one often lately, it's always worth a watch, directed by Jules Dassin and starring Richard Widmark, Googie Withers, and the lovely Gene Tierney!!

Noir you say, well TCM delivers with a double punch to the gut at 10:30am on Wednesday, with THEY LIVE BY NIGHT (1949) directed by Nicholas Ray, and featuring Cathy O'Donnell, Farley Granger and Howard Da Silva, followed by the lusty, crazy Peggy Cummins with John Dall in GUN CRAZY (1950)!!! Carnivals and circuses seem to be part of the daytime theme with that one, plus the rest of the day, with Bogie himself showing up in the somewhat rare, WAGONS ROLL AT NIGHT (1941) with Sylvia Sidney and Eddie Albert!! Followed by an awesome pre-code mystery/detective gem, THE CIRCUS QUEEN MURDER (1933)!!! With Adolphe Menjou as detective Thatcher Colt, Greta Nissen, and my main man, Dwight Frye, this is one not to miss!!! Then it's wow, did you really go there, Joan, with Miss Joan Crawford her own bad self, looking harsh and looking bad-*** in BESERK! (1967)!!! Don't mess with this dame!!!

OMG...and now, it's TIME!!! Babs Stanwyck is this month's Star of the Month, and TCM is treating us with a 24 hour block of her flix every Wednesday night and Thursday daytime throughout the month, and wowwwwwwwza!!!! She is SO awesome, and there will be TONS Of pre-code flix throughout the tribute!!! TCM seems to be mixin' it up a bit different this time instead of doing a more or less chronological presentation of the star's film work, it's sort of mixing it all around, but that's fine, as we do kick off with a very rare Frank Capra directed pre-code, LADIES OF LEISURE (1930) with my main man Lowell Sherman, Ralph Graves, and Marie Prevost!!!Hotcha-cha-cha!!! Director William Seiter gets into the Babs show with Robert Taylor and Victor McLaglen in the very cool crime flick, THIS IS MY AFFAIR (1937)!! Up next, it's Babs with David Nive and Richard Conte in THE OTHER LOVE (1947), then Wallace Beery and John Boles join the BAbs party in A MESSAGE TO GARCIA (1936), John Boles is hanging with us and Babs in STELLA DALLAS (1937), then another Capra pre-code with David Manners (in perhaps his finest role ever!), and Russell Hopton in THE MIRACLE WOMAN (1931)!!!

We're well into Thursday at 6:45am and Babs is still rolling strong in SO BIG (1932) with Bette Davis, George Brent, Guy Kibbee, Alan Hale and the pesky Dickie Moore!! Followed by THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (1932) with Nils Asther, followed by the pre-code of all pre-codes, the sexy, scandalous BABY FACE (1933) with George Brent (why does he get all the fun??!!), Margaret Lindsay, Douglas Dumbrille, and even The Duke in an early non-western role!!! Then it's Adolphe Menjou and William Holden with Babs in GOLDEN BOY (1939), followed by the Capra classic, MEET JOHN DOE (1941)!!! Not to be outdone, Babs shows up in the mid-50's with William Holden again along with June Allyson, Frederic March, Louis Calhern, Walter Pidgeon, Shelly Winters, Paul Douglas, Nina Foch in a heavy hitters cast list directed by Robert Wise, EXECUTIVE SUITE (1954)!! Wow! It's on a lot, but still, it pretty much rocks! Then something a bit different from Miss Babs Stanwyck in WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (1962) with Laurence Harvey, Capucine and Jane Fonda!! Wrapping up this week's Babs tribute is the outstanding 1991 documentary, BARBARA STANWYCK: FIRE AND DESIRE!!! Not to be missed!!! Groovalicious!!!!

Lee Child is the guest programmer on Thursday night and while we all know it by heart by now, hey you gotta check out Bogie and Bergman along with an awesome cast in the legendary CASBLANCA (1942) at 8pm EST!!

Friday, Dec 7, the day that will live in infamy, is being honored by TCM with a day long block of WWII flix, and while those aren't really my cup of tea, those who dig 'em will be groovin' for sure!!

Director Ernst Lubitsch is being honored on Friday night, and what a killer lineup!!! First up, it's the very rarely screened silent, THE LOVERS OF PHARAOH (1922) with Emil Jannings!!! Wow!!! Followed by another rare flick, THE SMILING LIEUTENANT (1931) with Maurice Chevalier, Miriam Hopkins and Claudette Colbert!!! Wowza Yowza!!!! Rock 'n Roll!!!!! And to wrap it up, the seasonal favorite, THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) with Jimmy Stewart, Frank Morgan (in one of his best performances among many!!!), and Margaret Sullavan!!! Always a tear-jerker for me! :)

Saturdays are always groovin' on TCM and this week is no different as we rock with Lucille Ball, Chester Morris, Wendy Barrie, John Carradine, Allen Jenkins, and Joseph Calleia in FIVE CAME BACK (1939)!!! I totally dig this flick!!!! This is followed by a flick I've not seen before, with Robert Taylor and Wallace Beery in STAND UP AND FIGHT (1939) which looks more interesting than the title kinda sounds, so I'm gonna check it out! At 10:45am, TCM is presenting some oaters for our entertainment consumption and this week it's THE RETURN OF THE DURANGO KID (1945) with Charles Starrett and Tex Harding! Followed by the noon airing of a "Saint" flick, this time it's George Sanders in his final appearance in the role, THE SAINT IN PALM SPRINGS (1941) with Wendy Barrie, Jonathan Hale and Paul Guilfoyle!!

Saturday night is a seasonal theme, and I'm gonna be groovin' to a Joan Crawford flick I've not seen before, AUTUMN LEAVES (1956) with Vera MIles, Cliff Robertson, and Lorne Greene!

Sunday will have a Christmas theme, hey it's Dec 9th, gotta get crackin' on that!!! Starting it off is a Dickens classic come to life in DAVID COPPERFIELD (1935) with W C Fields, Lionel Barrymore and Maureen O'Sullivan, along with lil Freddie Bartholomew!! Dig it! Followed by one of my seasonal faves, TENTH AVENUE ANGEL (1948) with Margaret O'Brien, George Murphy, and Angela Lansbury!!! Yeah, it's hokey, but I'm a sentimentalist!! :) At Noon, check out the documentary, A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES: MERRY CHRISTMAS (2011)!! Then it's a (kind of) Christmas season 2-fer for the evening with WE'RE NO ANGELS (1955) with Bogie himself, along with Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, John Bennett, Basil Rathbone and Leo G Carroll!!! Followed by the Christmas noir, LADY IN THE LAKE (1947), also featuring the rare and unique point of view perspective throughout! Starring Robert Montgomery, the sexy Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan and Leon Ames!! This week's Silent Sunday Feature is the King Vidor classic, THE CROWD (1928) with Eleanor Boardman, James Murray and Bert Roach!!! Dig it!!

Wow, what a week!! Thank you for all these groovy flix, TCM!!!

I have to work tomorrow, so I'll be recording "Down to Their Last Yacht", but I'm curious about this one too - never heard of it or seen it, but the cast makes it sound intriguing.

As for "Back Pay" you have to chalk that one up to so bad it is good. The film is only 50 minutes long and there are so many unanswered questions. Why is it 1913 yet all of the women are walking around in short dresses when this could have gotten you arrested for indecency at the time? What is up with Grant Withers and that curly blonde wig? Why does the film open with Corrine Griffith (as Hester) singing and no back-story whatsoever?? Who is this guy Hester's aunt calls "the boss" who is eating them out of house and home when Hester gets home after the picnic?? And on and on it goes. Such is the fun of the early talkies.

I think you'll like Autumn Leaves. It deals with all kinds of code-busting material - mental illness being just another illness that needs to be treated like any physical ailment rather than a stigma, post traumatic shock, incest, and the problems that come with marrying in relative haste and May/December relationships thrown in for good measure. And Ruth Donnelly shows she still has it after all these years as Joan's sassy and loyal friend.

Thank you, WBF!!

Calvin, what did you think of DOWN TO OUR LAST YACHT??? I had it pegged as a wild and wooly all over the place early talkie musical where the plot didn't really matter too much, it just went off into all kinds of wild directions!

Thanks for the comments about AUTUMN LEAVES!!! Looking forward to it! Ruth Donnelly is always a fave!!!

This has been a very good old classic movie day on TCM.

I've been noticing that TCM has added a lot of new old movies during the past two or three years. Lots of new old films, new dubs of old films that have not been seen for 60-80 years. Most of the Baby Peggy films seem to have come out of vaults in Europe. Captain January is 88 years old and is finally on TV, thanks to TCM.

More great movies tomorrow! Yay!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Thank you, WBF!!

>

> Calvin, what did you think of DOWN TO OUR LAST YACHT??? I had it pegged as a wild and wooly all over the place early talkie musical where the plot didn't really matter too much, it just went off into all kinds of wild directions!

>

> Thanks for the comments about AUTUMN LEAVES!!! Looking forward to it! Ruth Donnelly is always a fave!!!

I liked DOWN TO THEIR LAST YACHT Mark. You didn't know what weird stuff was going to happen next. This one was released right after the production code went into force, and imdb says they reshot about 1/4 of the movie before release, so maybe it would have been more of a straight up precode if it had been released the year before. A similarly themed RKO film from the same time frame - minus the music - is "We're Rich Again". A country cousin shows up just in time for the wedding of a previously rich family. The cousin seems to be a real bumpkin, but at the end of the film you figure this gal had to know what she was doing all along. I highly recommend it if it ever comes your way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about DOWN TO OUR LAST YACHT, calvin!! I pretty much agree with you and also feel the same as you, that most of the film was probably completed pre-code and they probably had to edit a few things in order to get it past the new censors. I loved it though! I find a lot of flix from 34 and even into 35 have a pre-code feel to them even if they don't cross certain lines they may have previously, probably edited a bit, but still carry with them that somewhat rougher and more mayhem-ish edge to them, like this one!

Dig it!

Hey mark, what did you think of They Live By Night?

I can't remember seeing Cathy O'Donnell before, but she was very good. No false eyelashes, but very pretty and a very good actor.

Typical ending, but a good movie nonetheless.

Looking forward to Adolph as a private dick!

WBF, I am not home to check these today, but I've always loved THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, a good noir, I'd say! Often with noir, I have to suspend the ending a bit as the code and all that, but quite often to that point, the code is shredded pretty well a lot of the time!! And that's just groovy to me! :)

As for THE CIRCUS QUEEN MURDER, it's rockin' IMO! Hope you enjoy! Technically, I guess Adolphe is a DA not a PI, but hairs to split, cos it amounts to about the same! I am a total pushover for those old school mysteries and this one has a pretty good cast!

Peggy's character in this film is very interesting. She's very realistic. Her main personality is of a sweet nice good looking beautiful exciting but average American girl. And she gets a thrill out of occasionally robbing banks. And I get a thrill out of watching her and listening to her. Her voice is so soft, her smile is so alluring, her eyes are so sparkling.

I don't know why she didn't become more famous as an actress. She would have been a big hit in American films in the 1950s.

2478726614_f38fbd1ac1_z.jpg?zz=1

Faye Dunaway could have learned a lot by watching her.

Her Bonnie was a sledgehammer to Peggy's insanely psycho dame.

Dall did a lot of pictures like this, right? He's good, but Peggy is outstanding.

Too bad she shot got ignored in Hollywood.

mark, no joke, you rock. TCM shoulda had this film on their *YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS FILM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!* on their site's slide show.

Very interesting ending - did Dall shoot Peggy?

Interesting, albeit racist, movie Fred. Although I had to change the channel during the whipping of the horses (no CGI there, by gum) in the mud and leave altogether at the dog with the cut throat, I was afraid they would show it.

For those who can abide animal cruelty, though, it seemed to be a unique little flick. I liked the dynamic between Adolph and his assistant. Too bad they never saw fit to put both of them in New York with venetian blinds and their shadows.

LOL, you can't put that kind of stuff in movies today! :) It was indeed odd to see. It was a 1933 pre-code. It showed Dwight Frye shooting and killing himself at the end, and it showed the Congo cannibals locked up in chains like slaves, as if that was a normal thing to do with them in America 1933.

Remember "Ummmm, eat um up, eat um up!"

That was a famous scene of a cannibal, from a now-censored and politically-incorrect Little Rascals short. I saw it on TV as a kid, but it has not been shown anywhere for decades.

OMG, this is such a coolio lil flick! Dwight gets amazing amounts of dialogue and screen time here and the cannibals, woah!!!

I totally forgot how hotcha I thought Ruthelma Stevens is, as the assistant, and not only is she sexy gorgeous but a very effective assistant too!!! What a ****!!! Wow! Something about her really gets me going into a groove!!! :)

I'd LOVE to see the other flick these two did together in the same roles, from 1932, NIGHT CLUB LADY! Hopefully TCM can show that one as well sometime soon!! Would dig it long time!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}THE DURANGO KID, Yay! I used to see Durango Kid movies in the late 1940s and early 50s. Along with Lash LaRue and Tim Holt, and others.

That's awesome!!!

Yes, I'm also digging on the late Saturday morning screenings of "The Durango Kid" flix!!! Today's was very cool!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings