Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christmas Wish List

EugeniaH

If you could have one film-related Christmas gift this year, what would it be? You can include "wishful thinking" items also, like the release/restoration of a lost film, or a remake of an old film with your preferred stars.

Since I'm still waiting for a new DVD release of *City Lights*, that would be my own personal item #1.

Good provocative question, Eugenia.

I'd wish for DVD availability of what I think was a made-for-TV program that I remember as a kid -- circa late '60s or early '70s. It featured an African-American inner city boy who befriended a stray kitten. He went to the local mom and pop grocer and acquired cans of tuna to feed the kitten -- and charged it to his mom/aunt's bill. When discovered, he then worked in the shop to pay off the bill. It was a very cute story.

Exactly... since my thread gave you the idea, SansFin, if you get this theater I claim the front row, middle seat. ;)

On a related note, I would also wish for more movie houses in my neck of the woods to show regular classic movie revivals.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Dec 3, 2012 11:21 AM

No, but I wish I had... instead I was reminded that in school we read an excerpt from the story "Black Boy" by Richard Wright, in which he kills a kitten. :( Though I'm sure the story has a lot of symbolism, we weren't at an age to understand that and it ended up being pretty awful for us gradeschoolers...

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}

> I like how you think!

If you ask for a coin then you might be given a coin.

If you ask for a million coins then you might be given two coins.

There are a few movies which do not feel right when there is not an audience with whom to share the viewing.

It would satisfy also my list for power. I could show three movies in a row and have the middle one be a movie I wish people to see but which they would never watch if it were not that they deeply wish to see the first and last but it is an all-three-or-nothing situation.

Four sequences from *The Wizard of Oz* (1939):

The triumphal procession through the Emerald City after they capture the Wicked Witch's broomstick.

Hickory tinkering w/ his wind machine in the early Kansas scenes.

The Tin Man's beehive experience.

And, of course, The Jitterbug dance sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

I would wish that there'd be a way of restoring the destroyed section of film from the movie "Lost Horizon". Thankfully they still have the audio portion of that lost footage and tried to use still photos to replace the missing video. But, I would love to have been able to see it in its full complete version.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I wish for a home movie theater room with a fifty-foot screen and seating for at least two hundred people and an adjacent climate-controlled vault containing nearly every movie ever made.

LOL, sounds like the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}If you could have one film-related Christmas gift this year, what would it be? You can include "wishful thinking" items also, like the release/restoration of a lost film, or a remake of an old film with your preferred stars.

>

>

>

> Since I'm still waiting for a new DVD release of *City Lights*, that would be my own personal item #1.

I think since I already have so many movie titles, my ideal Christmas gift would be getting a well-paying job doing something I would love at the greatest film studio of all time, Warner Bros.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings