Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Music" may have trounced Gypsy at the Tonys that year (they dont always get it right), it proved to have the longer shelf life (on the stage at least). It's had a half dozen revivals on Broadway so far (all hits). I cant recall the last time "Music" was on Broadway........

I agree. It took time for Gypsy to achieve its place in the canon. Alot has been written about it. Superlatives began appearing in print about it 20 years after its initial run. At the time, I think it was seen as just another good show about show business, and those sorts of musicals were not given the credit that the more serious R&H musicals were accorded. But around 1990, Frank Rich wrote something to the effect that Gypsy was Broadway's brassy answer to King Lear !

The Sound of Music is not one of my favorites. I don't like the movie much. The show does get performed once in a while, e.g. in London next summer. I love the original Broadway cast recording with Mary Martin.

Regarding Broadway revivals, there has only been 1 revival of The Sound of Music to 4 of Gypsy.

<And of course no matter who plays Auntie Mame, the role will always belong to Rosalind Russell, as will the role of Ruth in Wonderful Town.>

Might I add? . . . as well as the role of Sylvia Fowler in "The Women" (1939).

I didn't mean she was a lousy actress, just not a very good one, particularly for film. In the theater, in the days of poor miking/sound systems, to be able to belt was very important. You must have seen her in films, such as There's no Business Like Show Business. Listen to her speech -- there's very little nuance there. She was super-famous for her portrayal of Annie Oakley in the original production of Annie Get Your Gun but was not seriously considered for the film role. It was just felt she was not right for film.

Barbra Streisand probably will get to do it even though she is like 10 years too old for the part. Ethel Merman must have been great to see in the role. Rosalind Russell was bad as Rose. Bette Midler was pretty good in the tv version. I saw Bernadette Peters on Broadway as Rose, but if I ould cast Rose in a movie remake or even broadway I woukd go with Cyndi Lauper.

LOL. I remember in Ethel's memoirs. She had a blank chapter page that said something like my marriage to Ernest Borgnine...........Did it last a month? I cant remember.........

Yup, something like that. When Borgnine did a sit-down with RO, he shared the anecdote about it. I think he said something about EM not liking the attention Borgnine received while they were on their honeymoon (or something like that).

You seemed surprised I mentioned Cyndi Lauper, well because she is an amazing singer and a very funny actress. She has a big voice and be great in it. Bernadette Peters was great in the role but most critics thought she was too young at the time and miscast. I saw Cyndi on Broadway once before and she actually has a big musical coming next year she wrote the entire score for.

I've never even seen a Broadway show, but to have seen something that iconic? Totally jealous. I grew up on the cast album, so it will always be Merman for me too. It doesn't seem as if some people are questioning her musical chops, but are maybe wondering about how she carried the dramatic scenes and whether, given that huge talent and personality, she may have "taken over". The best point of reference we probably have for how she would have handled the movie role may be "There's No Business Like Show Business". She played a different sort of mother in that, but the thing that strikes me is what a great ensemble player she was. She partnered with Dan Dailey believably and related appropriately to each of her children. She's one of the things I like most about that movie. Speaking of Dan Dailey, what a great Herbie he could have been.