Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, she starred inThe Three Penny Opera in 2006 and she was very good in that. She auditoioned for Sweeney Todd that same year and the producers loved her but Patti Lupone got the part. Then when they filmed it she wanted the part so bad but Helena Bohnam Carter got it because she is married ot the director and yes she is an amazing actress but I wished it would have gone the other way. I heard she was offered Cabaret a few years ago but tuned it down. I saw it with Gena Gershon and she was very good in it. Now Cyndi Lauper wrote the whole score for Kinky Boots a musical baed on an english movie. The show played in Chicago and got great reviews. I hope she does do another show where she can sing herself. I understand why you have your doubts about her in Gypsy, most people don't know or forget that she has one of the most powerful and beautiful voices as great as any other Diva then and now. The reason is becuase her label Sony blacklisted her because she fought to make the music she wanted and they basically said they will never promote her. KIlls me some of the singers who have sold milliosn of records now and today can't even hold a note. Like when they lipsync.

We've been talking about Merman and others as Rose, but we haven't delved into the real Rose.

Here's a picture of her.

8255454452_cf55d20963_t.jpg

And the movie wasn't the end of the story. It's reported that Gypsy rented both a farm and a lesbian boardinghouse for her mother to look after and Rose (who apparently turned to preferring women after the breakup of her marriage) shot and killed a lover/guest of the boardinghouse.

Even her last moments on this earth were bitter. Here is what was written in a review of the book "American Rose":

On her deathbed in 1954, the psychotic Rose Thompson Hovick told her two daughters: “This isn’t the end. Wherever you go, as long as either of you lives, I’ll be right there.” And she added, “When you get your own private kick in the ***, just remember: It’s a present from me to you.”

I wonder if the "Wherever you go..." inspired Stephen Sondheim with the Gypsy song, "Together Wherever We Go"?

I like Roz Russell in Gypsy, it works for me. I knew Arthur Laurents pretty well. He wrote the book for the musical Gypsy and later directed three of the Broadway revivals -- with Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, and Patti LuPone.

I remember sitting with Arthur in the Green Room one time, I had just heard that Bernadette Peters was going to play Mama Rose, which I thought odd. I said to him, "What do you think of Bernadette Peters as Mama Rose?" "It was my idea," he responded. He said she was most like the real Mama Rose.

Arthur was a man of very strongly held opinions. He hated the film of Summertime, which was based on his play, The Time of the Cuckoo. He said they took the plain, dowdy Brooklyn woman, played so well by Shirley Booth in the play, and glamorized her into the part Katharine Hepburn played in the film, thus changing the whole theme, he felt.

Two of his books are worth reading. His autobiography, Original Story By... is his totally outrageous memoir. More to the point of this thread, his 2009 book Mainly on Directing: Gypsy, West Side Story, and Other Musicals, contains many fascinating stories about Gypsy and Merman.