Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Cold Blood case reopened

MovieMadness

There are news stories out today about the murder case portrayed in the movie *In Cold Blood* played on TCM. Apparently they are checking into a family in Florida that was also murdered, those two guys traveled through the area after the murders portrayed in the movie happened.

Here is an excerpt of why they think they are involved-

The possibility that the pair was involved in the Florida murderers has been considered since 1960, according to records released by the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.

After Smith and Hickock killed the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas, on Nov. 15, 1959, they fled to Florida in a stolen car. They were spotted at least a dozen times from Tallahassee to Miami and points in between. On Dec. 18, the two men checked into a Miami Beach motel and checked out the next day.

The Walker family, who lived in the small community of Osprey on a ranch some four hours northwest of Miami near Sarasota, was killed on Dec. 19. Cliff Walker was shot to death, his wife was beaten, xxxxx and then shot. Three-year-old Jimmie was shot to death and his 2-year-old sister was shot and drowned in a bathtub.

That same day, the men bought items at a Sarasota department store. On Dec. 21, witnesses say they spoke with Smith and Hickock in Tallahassee.

McGath said that there's evidence that extends beyond the duo's road trip. Before their death, the Walkers were considering buying a 1956 Chevy Bel Air, which was the kind of car Smith and Hickock had stolen and were driving through Florida. McGath thinks that somehow, the Walkers and the killers met because of the car.

The detective found witness statements — and talked to people who are still alive — who said they saw Smith and Hickock in the Sarasota area around the time of the Walker murders. One witness said the taller of the two men had a scratched-up face.

Sooooooooo...........the murderers can be killed twice?

And Capote can write another book from the grave?

Ohhhhhhhh, I forgot.........the media can take advantage of it all, and make money.

Money makes the world go 'round, the world go 'round, the world go 'round...............

Silly me.

Whoa!

I've read Truman Capote's book, in addition to seeing the film half a dozen times.

Few stories have affected me so deeply. Extra creepy because I've lived in Tallahassee and now can just imagine the main streets where they might have travelled.

Perhaps there wasn't a better way to put it, but it sounds like the Clutter case

itself was reopened. That really would be something. The Florida case is inter-

esting too. Before DNA there would likely be years of speculation about it, but

if they can obtain DNA, it will be known fairly soon if they are guilty of the Florida

murders or not. I'd give it a 50/50 chance at this time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings