Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arturo

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

Well what do you know:  MOVIES is showing Fallen Angel tonight.   Good thing it is the first noir film for their Saturday night noir series so I'll be awake!  

After this is The Line-up.   That is a really hardnosed noir film,  but I have seen it.

Did you get to.see.FALLEN ANGEL last night?

• Like 1

Did you get to.see.FALLEN ANGEL last night?

Oh, yea,  and I really enjoyed it.   I liked how the film was shot especially the scenes in the diner and the nightclub.    Great use of lighting and just the right vibe.       Darnell looked fantastic and she was very sexy in this role.   I like how she was hard but one could still see that she really didn't like being that way.   Still I felt just like the Andrews' character;  One look and I was hooked!  

Andrews was really a cad.    Ok, I wasn't expecting a heroic type figure but I was surprised that he had few redeeming qualities.  Yea,  near the end after he was married with his wife in the hideaway room he kind of explains why he is what he is,  but to me he really doesn't pull it off (of course his wife accept this at face value).

The other actors were also find.   Alice Faye did a good job as the sweet gal.    I was somewhat surprised by Cabot.   While he was never a major star this was a very secondary role from the WB westerns I knew him from (not made that many years before this one).

Brickford always is a nice addition to a film.    The scene where he beats up Cabot was rather shocking.    The scene didn't hold back any punches,  just like Brickford!     

• Like 1

Oh, yea,  and I really enjoyed it.   I liked how the film was shot especially the scenes in the diner and the nightclub.    Great use of lighting and just the right vibe.       Darnell looked fantastic and she was very sexy in this role.   I like how she was hard but one could still see that she really didn't like being that way.   Still I felt just like the Andrews' character;  One look and I was hooked!  

Andrews was really a cad.    Ok, I wasn't expecting a heroic type figure but I was surprised that he had few redeeming qualities.  Yea,  near the end after he was married with his wife in the hideaway room he kind of explains why he is what he is,  but to me he really doesn't pull it off (of course his wife accept this at face value).

The other actors were also find.   Alice Faye did a good job as the sweet gal.    I was somewhat surprised by Cabot.   While he was never a major star this was a very secondary role from the WB westerns I knew him from (not made that many years before this one).

Brickford always is a nice addition to a film.    The scene where he beats up Cabot was rather shocking.    The scene didn't hold back any punches,  just like Brickford!     

I agree with your overall summary.  Andrews WAS a cad, and Darnell was conditioned to act hard due to her experiences with men.  As for Bruce Cabot's role, I don't know if he might have been in many scenes that were trimmed or cut out; most scenes that were removed apparently featured Alice Faye, and Cabot's character doesn't fit in with that storyline.  But Faye made such a fuss over the cutting of a good part of her role, that could be why,  Other scenes not including her could also have been cut, especially with Darryl Zanuck's propensity to do so.

Yesterday I received a copy of a dvd I had bought on ebay last.week, featuring Linda Darnell, the Republic western DAKOTA INCIDENT (1956). I wanted to replace the washed out copy I had, transferred from vhs.

I was very pleased with the quality of the dvd. The Trucolor looked great, not the washed out color of my other copy; Linda's dress and lips never looked redder lol. The sound was also decent. As for the story, it is a strong western, despite being a programmer of the type so common at the time. It has a gritty storyline, plenty of action, solid performances from.a familiar cast (Dale Robertson, John Lund, and.Ward Bond, besides Linda), and above average writing.

The film, being a programmer from Republic, did well, but did nothing to halt the decline in Linda's movie career. Having been away from Hollywood for over two years, due to filming in Italy as well.as.semi—retirement during her second.marriage, Linda was not getting very many movie offers, especially with the ongoing retrenchment of the movie studios at that time. When she returned in late 1955, she cut her asking price in order to get work. Republic mogul Herbert Yates bit at the offer. But Darnell found it expedient to take.work doing television.dramas, and started doing stage work at this time as.well.

However, the latter day view that her career slowed down at this time.due to her heavy drinking, and weight gain and deterioration of looks, is not borne out here. She looks great, and her waistline looks no bigger, and might even be less, than in late 1940s films such as A LETTER TO THREE WIVES or NO WAY OUT. She also does well.with her role of a dance hall girl out west, on a stagecoach chasing after the fiance who took $27,000, with great timing and acid delivery of her lines to keep the men at bay on the carriage, and suitably dramatic after the ambush by a band of Native Americans. All in all, not a classic western, but a very good one. It's been awhile since it's aired on Encore Westerns (forget.AMC), but I don' t know if TCM has ever shown it, but it would be great if they could, ESPECIALLY as part.of a Linda Darnell SOTM.

Yesterday I received a copy of a dvd I had bought on ebay last.week, featuring Linda Darnell, the Republic western DAKOTA INCIDENT (1956). I wanted to replace the washed out copy I had, transferred from vhs.

I was very pleased with the quality of the dvd. The Trucolor looked great, not the washed out color of my other copy; Linda's dress and lips never looked redder lol. The sound was also decent. As for the story, it is a strong western, despite being a programmer of the type so common at the time. It has a gritty storyline, plenty of action, solid performances from.a familiar cast (Dale Robertson, John Lund, and.Ward Bond, besides Linda), and above average writing.

The film, being a programmer from Republic, did well, but did nothing to halt the decline in Linda's movie career. Having been away from Hollywood for over two years, due to filming in Italy as well.as.semi—retirement during her second.marriage, Linda was not getting very many movie offers, especially with the ongoing retrenchment of the movie studios at that time. When she returned in late 1955, she cut her asking price in order to get work. Republic mogul Herbert Yates bit at the offer. But Darnell found it expedient to take.work doing television.dramas, and started doing stage work at this time as.well.

However, the latter day view that her career slowed down at this time.due to her heavy drinking, and weight gain and deterioration of looks, is not borne out here. She looks great, and her waistline looks no bigger, and might even be less, than in late 1940s films such as A LETTER TO THREE WIVES or NO WAY OUT. She also does well.with her role of a dance hall girl out west, on a stagecoach chasing after the fiance who took $27,000, with great timing and acid delivery of her lines to keep the men at bay on the carriage, and suitably dramatic after the ambush by a band of Native Americans. All in all, not a classic western, but a very good one. It's been awhile since it's aired on Encore Westerns (forget.AMC), but I don' t know if TCM has ever shown it, but it would be great if they could, ESPECIALLY as part.of a Linda Darnell SOTM.

DAKOTA INCIDENT is my favorite film of hers, and I agree it should air on either TCM or Encore. 

By the way, I don't understand why people focus on the weight of stars so much. But that's a topic for another thread I'm sure!

DAKOTA INCIDENT is my favorite film of hers, and I agree it should air on either TCM or Encore.

By the way, I don't understand why people focus on the weight of stars so much. But that's a topic for another thread I'm sure!

Well, during the studio era, and even in today's Hollywood, one of the main selling point has been glamorous stars. Stars that were known for their looks had to maintain them for the most part. For those with the image of a sex symbol, gaining too much weight could.be detrimental to your career. In the late 5Os, Marilyn Monroe was criticized for gaining what was considered excessive.weight. In the kid 60s,.Epizabeth Taylor would half seriously say that she would allow herself to gain so much weight, that she would no longer get movie offers, and she could just be a hausfrau to Richard Burton. Of course, she had already started the process, and would gain some 25 lbs. intentionallly for the filming of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF,.and would.subsequently have issues with weight for.decades.

Linda Darnell's ongoing frustration careerwise was that she was perceived more for her beauty than for her acting, and the consideration for roles based on this. The reason I have focused often on Linda's weight/looks, were because the standard take on her career decline has been the deterioration of her beauty, and increase of her weight, both due basically to her heavy drinking (Note: the heavy drinking was not the issue in and of itself; Linda never was unreliable making a movie or doing a play, no matter how heavy her drinking). Linda had a tendency to fluctuate in size throughout her career, and like many other stars, would gain quite a bit between films. While she was shooting FOREVER AMBER in late 1946/early 1947, Fox had made her adhere to a strict diet. I have read an article.where the studio had an ongoing push for her to maintain a certain weight, at least.a couple of years before and for a number of years after this film. However, I have also read a brief interview she did while promoting FA in 1947, where she states that in ten years, she would like to let herself go, and not worry about weight gain. This seems to have happened in around that time frame (1957). However, it was not by much more than at other periods, and she would still lose it for a film or TV show. Of course, viable film offers for her were drying up, and she focused more on TV.

Linda's face.was.also affected; in fact, weight gain or loss registered.most there. She could look like she had a gaunt and long face, or a full round one; she also had prominent cheeks on those occasions. As her drinking grew heavier, this may have contributed to all this, but not too much. A bigger reason for her supposed fading beauty was just that when she gained weight, deepening.lines made it more obvious. Additionally, and most importantly, she was doing TV, filmed quickly on low budgets. There was no care in the lighting, to see what would work most advantageously, as was de reguier in movies. Additionally, she was working with makeup artists and other technicians who were new to her; the consistency she had while under contract, using the same personnel.from one production after.another, was not there. So they experimented with her makeup, and seemed to have compensated.for the small.screen by applying it more heavily. So her looks began to change substantially from show to show.

This has become obvious to me just recently. As I bought DVDs of some of her TV shows, as available, I found myself surprised at the weight gain on occasion. T Much later, I realized that I had been watching these shows in wide or zoom mode; when I changed it to the correct format for the TV shows (duh!), suddenly she looked just about how she always had,.at.least sizewise.

Anyway, my focus on all this, is because these factors were not as pronounced as I had been led to think, and therefore, not the main cause for the drying up Darnell's movie career.

Anyway, my focus on all this, is because these factors were not as pronounced as I had been led to think, and therefore, not the main cause for the drying up Darnell's movie career.

Interesting comments. I read something a few days ago, and I forget what source it was (online) that said casting directors now don't want too thin. They still don't want too fat, but now they also don't want too thin. When I lived in West Hollywood in the early 2000s, in my neighborhood we all were a bit anorexic-- myself included-- even the ones who went to the gym around the corner religiously didn't really bulk up. Being too thin was better than being too fat. But now even that will prevent someone from getting parts. Only in Hollywood!

I recently.posted here on the western DAKOTA INCIDENT, with Linda Darnell, a good if unheralded film. A much more renowned.western with Linda Darnell will be airing tomorrow, 11/16, on the Encore Western channel, John Ford's classic MY DARLING.CLEMENTINE (1946). It will be on twice, at 6:25 am and 3:20 pm. A further showing.will be on Friday, 11/28 @ 6:20 am.

MDC is considered one of Ford's purest westerns, mythologizing in the Old West. It has an excellent cast, headed by Henry Fonda, Darnell and Victor Mature, along with newcomer Cathy Downs, and a full panoply of members of Ford's stock company. The film has Fonda as Wyatt Earp, thrust into the role of marshall of Tombstone AZ, clashing with the Dalton Gang, and a morally complex Doc.Holliday. It contrasts Linda as Chihuahua, a mixed Apache/Mexican saloon singer, with Downs, as the prim Bostonian. Both are in love with Mature's Doc Holliday. The climax, of course, is the shootout at the OK Corral.

Linda.is fiery as Chihuahua, clashing with Earp, fighting with and for her man. She also sings a bit of two songs. This role convinced studio head Darryl Zanuck that she was the right actress to take over the troubled production of FOREVER AMBER, which was seen as a potential superstar making role.for Linda.

By chance, I came across a dvd on ebay for one of the few Linda Darnell movies which I don't have, THE GUY WHO CAME BACK =1951). I have been searching for awhile online for this movie, which I have not.seen in literally decades. I happened.to google it, typing the title, year.and "dvd". It popped.up as being on ebay. I clicked into it, only to find that it had apparently just expired without a sale. I was emailing the seller, when it got relisted. Since it was a "buy it now" item, I did just that, and now.look forward for it to.arrive within the next.week.

The interesting thing about this find was that it wasn't listed on items for Linda Darnell,.which I check at least once a week for affordable rarities. I guess the reason for this was that it was listed.under the two other stars, Paul Douglas and Joan Bennett. So I got lucky with the specific way I googled it. I'm just happy I found it, and hope that the quality is fairly decent.

Also through the internet,.I have been debating whether to buy two dvd sets of 50s tv.series, Shlitz Playhouse of the Stars, and the game show, .What's My Line. You probably wouldn't be surprised that I want them because of them (possibly) featuring Darnell. I have been in contact with the seller, but he couldn't give me a list of titles of episodes on the Schlitz set, hoping that Linda's episode is included. However, it may still be a worthwhile buy, as.it features many other stars, including, apparently, James Dean's last.acting job. As for WML, of the several sets for sale, one seems to have Linda's charming March 1956 appearance as the Mystery Guest. I check it out on youtube periodically. But as a completist, with an obsessive streak about it, I feel.I need to have it in physical form. Since WML doesn't seem to be coming back to the Game Show Network anytime soon, buying something similar to this set may be my best option.The thing that is holding me back is that I really dont.want complete.episodes of the show,.but would.rather just have a bunch of the clips of the stars.featured as.Mystery Guests. So I haven't decided to purchase these yet, and will.probably decide go do so after.the holiday season.

So I finally received the DVD of THE GUY WHO CAME BACK (1951), which I had purchased on Ebay. I was wrong when I stated on my earlier post that it wasn't listed on Ebay under Linda Darnell, but under the other two stars, Paul Douglas and Joan Bennett. It was well back into Darnell's listings,.something like page 20 or 25. I must've missed it somehow originally.

Anyway, the quality of the picture is ok, but somewhat dark. As with most of these less than official releases,.that can be a big.variable. This one looks like it was copied from a TV print of it, with a couple of pauses for commercials noticeable.

The film was basically conceived as a vehicle to to reteam Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas, after their earlier successes, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES and EVERYBODY DOES IT. Linda refused to do it, and was put on suspension by the studio. The reason for this was that she viewed it as the same old role all over again, the glamorous other woman who tempts the hapless man from his wife. Additionally, the studio wanted her to bleach her hair to a platinum blonde, which she refused. While she remained on suspension, Fox tested, among others, rising starlet Marilyn Monroe for it. Unfortunately, Linda was getting a divorce at that time, and her husband was demanding a payment of $125,000.00 to not contest it. So her financial situation did not allow her to hold out. So she gave in and did the film, although she won the battle over her hair color.

As released, TGWCB is a showcase for Paul Douglas more than anyone else. He sings and dances, wrestles,.and even plays football for the marines, spurred on by mistress Darnell, as he attempts to find a career after his days as a pro football player are over. His relationships are also dealt with; his son, well played by Billy Grey, who idolizes him; Bennett, his wife, who knows that his various entertainer schemes are embaerassing if not degrading; and Darnell, the mistress who brainstorms new career ideas for him, falls in love, znd gives him up when she realizes he needs his family and football. The storyline is a little disjointed, with Linda's character not fully fleshed out. Its possible that Zanuck cut out some of her scenes, possibly to get back at her for her initial balking at doing it.

Now if Fox.would release a clean and clear.version on dvd, even as part if the Fox Cinema Archives dvdr series.

Now if Fox.would release a clean and clear.version on dvd, even as part if the Fox Cinema Archives dvdr series.

Does that mean you would buy it again? I am still waiting for CENTENNIAL SUMMER...why is that film so neglected? I am sure it would be a big seller if only people were allowed to (re)discover it.

Does that mean you would buy it again? I am still waiting for CENTENNIAL SUMMER...why is that film so neglected? I am sure it would be a big seller if only people were allowed to (re)discover it.

Topbilled, I most definitely would buy it, along.with her other movies at Fox which I have in less than pristine condition. Here they are:

HOTEL FOR WOMEN (1939)*

RISE AND SHINE (1941)

CENTENNIAL SUMMER (1946)

THE WALLS OF JERICHO (1948)*

TWO FLAGS WEST (1950)

THE THIRTEENTH LETTER (1951)*

THE GUY WHO CAKE BACK (1951)*

NIGHT WITHOUT SLEEP (1952)*

The titles with asterisk I have bought from online vendors in the last couple of years or so, of varying middling qualify. I would buy an authirized release of all these films. R&S, I messed up trying to record when it was on TCM during Linda's SUTS turn in 2011; I programmed the dvd to start.15 minutes too late. Both THE WALLS OF JERICHO and TWO FLAGS WEST have official release in some European countries, but wont work here. This was also true of FOREVER AMBER, which got released here under the Archives series a few monfhs ago; I am hoping the same for the others. The latter titles I have decent copies of, which I taped off of FMC, TCM and/or Encore Westerns, but will still purchase an official release.

As.for CENTENNIAL SUMMER, I have a fair copy I transferred from vhs, but hope it is released.officially. I love this film, despite the.so so reviews it got. I agree it should be better known.

As.for.Linda's movies away from Fox, I have rather poor copies of

CITY.WITHOUT MEN (Columbia/1943)

THE GREAT JOHN L. (UA/1945)

THE LADY PAYS OFF (Universal/1951)

I have decent copies recorded from cable for

BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE (RKO/1952)

SECOND CHANCE (RKO/1953)

Again,.I would buy any of these if released officially,.as.well as the three Darnell films I don't have:

DONNE PROIBITE (1953)

GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI (1955)

BLACK SPURS (1965)

I have official releases of all else, or in the case of THIS IS MY LOVE (RKO/1954), and DAKOTA INCIDENT (Republic/1956), very good unofficial copies.

The two Italian ventures have European releases; again, I dont have the dvd type to play them.

TWO FLAGS WEST is one I recorded when it was on Encore...and I see that it is coming back to Encore in January 2015. They usually air a very nice print of it. 

As for CENTENNIAL SUMMER, the cast is exceptional-- Walter Brennan, Constance Bennett, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain and Linda-- we're talking major A-list talent. If Tyrone Power had been in Cornel's role, or if Marilyn Monroe had a bit part in it, then it would surely have been released on home video by now.

TWO FLAGS WEST is one I recorded when it was on Encore...and I see that it is coming back to Encore in January 2015. They usually air a very nice print of it. 

As for CENTENNIAL SUMMER, the cast is exceptional-- Walter Brennan, Constance Bennett, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain and Linda-- we're talking major A-list talent. If Tyrone Power had been in Cornel's role, or if Marilyn Monroe had a bit part in it, then it would surely have been released on home video by now.

I guess my post wasn't clear re. TWO FLAGS WEST.  I do have good prints recorded of it, I think one from TCM and one from Encore.  If it does get an official release, I will buy it.

As to CENTENNIAL SUMMER, i have wondered about why it hasn't been released, and I'm hoping it will be in the near future.  I hope its not tied up with a rights issue, maybe over the songs.  A year or so back, it was on Youtube in like ten installments, but I can't watch movies that way (unless I'm really desperate).  Don't know if it was taken down.

I guess my post wasn't clear re. TWO FLAGS WEST.  I do have good prints recorded of it, I think one from TCM and one from Encore.  If it does get an official release, I will buy it.

Okay, thanks for explaining. I hope people who haven't seen it before get a chance to catch when it returns to the Encore Westerns Channel. I think TWO FLAGS WEST is very well made, and what a great cast!

Okay, thanks for explaining. I hope people who haven't seen it before get a chance to catch when it returns to the Encore Westerns Channel. I think TWO FLAGS WEST is very well made, and what a great cast!

TB, I totally agree.with everything you say here. TFW had actually been a movie John Ford thought of making, and would have fit in with his cavalry trilogy (quartet?), but ultimately passed on it. I think its great as is. Thanks for the heads up on its upcoming showings.

TB, I totally agree.with everything you say here. TFW had actually been a movie John Ford thought of making, and would have fit in with his cavalry trilogy (quartet?), but ultimately passed on it. I think its great as is. Thanks for the heads up on its upcoming showings.

You're welcome. It's interesting you mention John Ford, because I was thinking that if he had directed TWO FLAGS WEST-- it would have already been released on home video as part of the Ford at Fox series.

• Like 1

In the next couple of days, Fox Movie Channel will show BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940), the second of four movies pairing Linda Darnell with Tyrone Power. Although top cast, they were a peripheral love story fo the main telling of the westward Mormon trek, done obviously as boxoffice duty, to help this expensive epic with paying customers. The studio needed.all the help here it could get, as the fim was its costliest feature until then, and 1940 was a rocky year for movies. In an effort to stress the action of the westward trek over the religious aspect, they added —FRONTIERSMAN to the title. It did well enough, actually a big grosser, but it barely broke even due to its high cost. It has come down in history as a flop.

Dean Jagger played the title role, and BY—F also featured such stalwarts as Mary Astor, Vincent Price, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, and Brian Donlevy. It has some breathtaking scenery, filmed on location. It is better than its semi forgotten status would lead you to think. As for the principals, they do well enough with what they are given to do, with Linda having a second role in a row where she played close to her real age of 16 when it was filmed. With long hair in her first period film, she looks more beautiful than ever. All in all, a worthwhile two hours spent watching this, imho.

Btw, the showings are tomorrow, Friday, 12/19, @ 9:40 am.EST, as the second of four consecutive movies with Power; the others being his first starring role LLOYDS OF LONDON (1936) before BY, and following BY, A YANK IN THE R.A.F. (1941), and KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES (1953).

and Saturday, 12/20, @ 6 am est. with the preceding film, SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943), having Darnell in a cameo as the Virgin Mary.

Several recent ebay purchases of Linda Darnell items are quite revealing.

A.photo in a fan magazine from 1949 is a still of her as a Spanish dancer in a nightclub scene, with musicians behind her. I have seen other stills of Linda in this getup, and had assumed,.due to her hairstyle and overall look, that it could've been intended for the 1949 film SLATTERY'S HURRICANE. The copy confirms this to be so, and that a scene was filmed.with her performing. As released, the film has Linda reentering Richard Widmark's life in Miami, some years after they had been involved in San Diego. She is now married to John Russell, although Widmark tries to renew the affair, and thereby dumping current girlfriend Veronica Lake. As much of the film has Widmark recalling the story in flashback, there seems to have been early scenes of his relationship with Darnell while in San Diego, where she apparenty was a nightclub performer.

The film as released is rather unsatisfactory, with holes in the plot. Part of this was due to having to soft peddle Widmark working for drug smugglers, part to downplay Lake being a drug addict; it is unclear what ails her other than a broken heart. But maybe crucial scenes were cut out, as the early ones of the Darnell—Widmark relationship.. Darryl Zanuck could've been the culprit here, known to ruthlessly edit films to focus on the action, plus he didn't care for Linda, and was none to happy that she hated this assignment (see a few posts.down.re. similar treatment of her part in THE GUY WHO CAME BACK). Or it could've been the director Andre DeToth who got rid of these scenes, who as husband to Lake, might've wanted to have her to have the better female role, Lake's being the second lead. In any case, it seems a shame that the scene(s) was/were removed, as Linda looks splendid as a dancer, exposing her very sexy legs.

Several movies with Linda Darnell will be shown in the next few days (more descriptions of the films by scrolling below):

Sunday, 1/04:

On FMC @ 3 am est:

The epic of the Mormon Trek, BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940).

On Encore Westerns @ 11:40 am and 6:30 pm:

The above average western, TWO FLAGS WEST =1950),

Also on Tuesday, 1/13 @ 6:35 am and 8:45 pm.

Tuesday, 1/06:

On Encore Westerns @ 5 pm and 11:40 pm:

The classic John Ford western, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946),

Also on Saturday, 1/10 @ 1:30 pm and 10:20 pm.

Sunday, 1/11:

On Starz on Black @ 3:40 am and 10:35 pm:

The classic drama of racial.strife, NO WAY OUT (1950).

Two outstanding classic films featuring Linda Darnell tomorrow, with other showings over the next.week or so.

NO WAY OUT (1950). Joseph Mankiewicz' searing drama of racial.tension in mid 20th Century urban America. Hard hitting, incisive writing, playing.and directing. This harrowing story has sociopathic hoodlum Richard Widmark race baiting doctor Sidney Poitier (in his film debut), accusing him of deliberately killing his brother, and fomenting a race riot over this. Darnell plays Widmark's sister in law/sort of girlfriend, who is the unwitting dupe in getting the riot started. Excellent film, highly recommended.

Encore Black channel:

Sunday, 2/15 @ 4:50 am & 5:10 pm.

Friday, 2/20 @ 2 am & 10:35.am.

Wednesday, 2/25 @ 4:45 am & 2:10 pm.

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946): John Ford's pure poetic western, filmed in Monument Valley, relating the story of shootout at the Gunfight Corral. This rendition of Tombstone is generously populated by members of Ford's stock company, and the cast is headed by Henry Fonda playing Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature as Doc Holliday, and Linda Darnell playing the half breed Chihuahua. A perfect.western.

Encore Westerns:

Sunday, 2/15 @ 9:20 am.

Monday, 2/16 @ 2:45.am.

Thursday, 2/19 @ 5 pm.

Friday, 2/20 @ 12:05 am.

Arturo, here's a couple of photos of your favourite gal, along with some other Hollywood stars during the late war years, I would say, based on their appearances. The top pix comes from Joe's Candids thread last year, he listing it as a charity event of some kind. In the top photo (the only shot I have ever seen of Linda and Errol Flynn together) they are leaning on a piano.

Wish I knew more about the event. Possibly you know something about it.

e6cca295-3ae2-4e20-9ebc-aa15f3a9acbf_zps

8a1c7239-b414-424a-a6c0-06eaaced9229_zps

Arturo, here's a couple of photos of your favourite gal, along with some other Hollywood stars during the late war years, I would say, based on their appearances. The top pix comes from Joe's Candids thread last year, he listing it as a charity event of some kind. In the top photo (the only shot I have ever seen of Linda and Errol Flynn together) they are leaning on a piano.

Wish I knew more about the event. Possibly you know something about it.

e6cca295-3ae2-4e20-9ebc-aa15f3a9acbf_zps

8a1c7239-b414-424a-a6c0-06eaaced9229_zps

Thanks Tom, for the great pics. I have seen them on ebay, along with a couple others of the same event; I believe some with Linda with movie crooner Dick Haymes are from this day. I wish I knew what the benefit was for, and when it took place, but seems to definitely be mid 40s.

I believe Linda had a number of affairs with some her costars over the years. Although they were never in a movie or tv show together, I wonder if she and Flynn may have hooked up at some point. Obviously, thry would have met at charities and industry functiions around town, not to mention parties.