Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arturo

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

I believe Linda had a number of affairs with some her costars over the years. Although they were never in a movie or tv show together, I wonder if she and Flynn may have hooked up at some point. Obviously, thry would have met at charities and industry functiions around town, not to mention parties.

Who knows, Arturo. Flynn was quite discreet about his dailliances with ladies, both famous and not so famous. If Darnell was the same way regarding her affairs we'll probably never know.

Arturo, I assume that you've seen this Biography feature on Linda, but still thought it would be appropriate to post it here:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZwzPUXhlg'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZwzPUXhlg'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZwzPUXhlg'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZwzPUXhlg[media]

Arturo, I assume that you've seen this Biography feature on Linda, but still thought it would be appropriate to post it here:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZwzPUXhlg[media]

Thanks Tom.for.sharing.that. I first.saw Linda's Biography episode when it first came out, 1999 I think. I would look out for it when it.would replay,.and finally taped.it on VHS. A few years ago, it came.as.an extra.of the dvd A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, which I bought, of course. I enjoy watching this occasionally, but wish it had been longer; there was so much to cover, and it can be rather cursory, but good anyway.

I see that this documentary is on youtube. The one I would like to find is one for Darnell on A.J. Benza's execrable Hollywood's Mysteries,.Scandals.and Lies (or whatever it was.called). Despite its rather disrespectful tone, it does have some stills and footage I seen nowhere else. I also taped it back in the day, but on VHS, which is stored among thousands others in the garage. It was on youtube a couple or so years back, but haven't been able to find it since.

am I the only one who ever got that barb she threw at Robert Newton in Blackbeard the Pirate?

they're in blackbeard's cabin and he grabs her by the upper part of her dress and says

"little robin redbreast. I be a great lover of nature."

then she shoots back...

"if I had a pistol, I'd shoot out your gizzard-pin!

:lol:

• Like 1

am I the only one who ever got that barb she threw at Robert Newton in Blackbeard the Pirate?

they're in blackbeard's cabin and he grabs her by the upper part of her dress and says

then she shoots back...

then she shoots back...

Yeah, I always figured that the censors missed it, thinking it was just.an anachronism. It wasn't the only double entendre in this enjoyable swashbuckling romp.

One of the Linda Darnell's best roles in perhaps her most acclaimed movie will be seen on TCM this Wednesday, 3/25 @ 8 am est. A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949) is the leadoff film in that night's Ann Sothern's SOTM tribute. This is the second time Darnell and Sothern were costars in a movie together, the first having been nearly 10 years earlier, in (ELSA MAXWELL'S) HOTEL FOR WOMEN (1939), which was Linda's first movie role, having just arrived in Hollywood. Interestingly, both films had a sort of multi-episode structure.

In the earlier picture, Linda is an innocent newly arrived in NYC from Upstate New York. She ends up staying in the titular joint, and meets other aspiring actresses and models, etc., including Sothern, who help her learn the ropes, in this take on the STAGE DOOR type film. Darnell got the lead, especially after Sothern's part was cut for choosing to sign a long term contract with MGM and not Fox.

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES had two of 20th's top stars at that time, Jeanne Crain and Darnell, with Sothern rounding out the third wife. As the husbands, were three promising actors: former WB contractee Jeffrey Lynn, Kirk Douglas, just prior to achieving stardom in CHAMPION, and Paul Douglas, fresh from his Broadway sucess in Born Yesterday. Rounding out the cast were some great performances from the likesI of Thelma Ritter, Connie Gilchrist and Florence Bates, plus the omnipresent voice of Celeste Holm, narrating the piece and her mischief. Memorably witty dialogue plus the stellar cast makes for a top notch film.

I can't believed I missed it, and forgetting to post here.........two weeks ago, on April 10, it was the 50th anniversary of Linda Darnell's tragic death in 1965. She was only 41 at the time, although some reports, to this day in fact, have her as having been 44. The reason for that is when she first starting in movies in 1939, 20th Century Fox added a couple of years to her age so that the 15 year old could more believably play leading lady to the likes of Tyrone Power or John Payne. In any case, she died much too young and far too tragically.

then she shoots back...

TCM will.rebroadcast the 1952 swashbuckler BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE this Saturday, 5/9 @ 4:15 pm est, double entendres and all. Another, rather heavy handed stab at this is when Linda Darnell tells Keith Andes while in her cabin aboard ship, "It's infuriating. The treasure is not more than 20 feet from here". To which he replies, "Never mind the measurements", obviously referring to Darnell's build. He then proceeds to help her out of her gown and petticoats (or whatever), allowing for much gratuitous jiggling and bouncing. I'm sure director Raoul Walsh happily followed Howard Hughes' orders to get as much flesh here as the censors allowed (he would later do the same with Jane Russell in THE TALL MEN, a role that would've fit Darnell to a tee....).

Hughes would have less success a year later in exploiting Linda's physical assets in 3D in SECOND CHANCE. Darnell feeling overweight, refused to wear whatever revealing outfits HH wanted her to wear as she ran from Jack Palance throughout Taxco. So she spent most of the movie wearing and running in a tight black suit, that showed no cleavage or allowed any bounce.

Tomorrow, 5/13 @ 8 am eastern, TCM will air ZERO HOUR (1957) as the leadoff film for that night's Sterling Hayden SOTM lineup. This was one of the last films Linda Darnell did; she would spend the next few years doing tv, stage programs, even a nighclub act. She must've been discouraged by the movie offers she was now getting; ZERO HOUR did not give her.much to do.

This programmer has since become rather well known, with the DVD even marketed as a Camp Classic. This is actually not intentionally so, but as the source material of AIRPLANE, with frequent identical dialogue, ZH has taken on this latter day rep. Apparently, some people cannot view it without laughing hysterically.

Based on a Canadian television drama, ZERO HOUR stars Dana Andrews as the scarred WW2 pilot afraid of flying, who is called to help land a plane whose pilot and copilot come down with food poisoning. Darnell plays his estranged wife, no longer willing to put up with his inability to get his life together. Hayden is the pilot on the ground who must guide Andrews on how to fly and land the commercial plane. The location remains in Canada (the flight is from Winnipeg to Vancouver), probably because of the relatively infrequent locations of airports.

Zero Hour is a good movie, Arturo, but unfortunately I can never watch it now  without thinking of Airplane ! and laughing.

Linda Darnell is pretty good in it.

By the way, I have a copy of Letter to Three Wives and watched it the other night. Strange co-incidence:

I watched it the night of Saturday May 2nd, the first Saturday in May.

And in the movie, they mention several times that it's the first Saturday in May !

By the way, Linda is just stunningly gorgeous in this film (LTTW). Maybe even more than usual.

• Like 1

Zero Hour is a good movie, Arturo, but unfortunately I can never watch it now without thinking of Airplane ! and laughing.

Linda Darnell is pretty good in it.

By the way, I have a copy of Letter to Three Wives and watched it the other night. Strange co-incidence:

I watched it the night of Saturday May 2nd, the first Saturday in May.

And in the movie, they mention several times that it's the first Saturday in May !

By the way, Linda is just stunningly gorgeous in this film (LTTW). Maybe even more than usual.

I agree that ZERO HOUR is a good.movie, and Linda Darnell is good in it; she just doesn't have a whole lot to do. And yes, she is gorgeous in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, but I actually think not quite as beautiful as in some of her films before and after. It seems that it has to do with the hairstyles, or something. If you see her in SLATTERY'S HURRICANE or EVERYBODY DOES IT, both Also released.in 1949, she seems.even more stunning than in ALTTW, although the movies aren't nearly as good.

I agree that ZERO HOUR is a good.movie, and Linda Darnell is good in it; she just doesn't have a whole lot to do. And yes, she is gorgeous in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, but I actually think not quite as beautiful as in some of her films before and after. It seems that it has to do with the hairstyles, or something. If you see her in SLATTERY'S HURRICANE or EVERYBODY DOES IT, both Also released.in 1949, she seems.even more stunning than in ALTTW, although the movies aren't nearly as good.

I think you're right about how her hairstyles didn't do her justice.   e.g. in Zero Hour.   But I can kind of see why that is since she wasn't playing a showgirl or glamour type role (unlike some of those earlier films).    Still gorgeous no matter the hairstyle.   

I think you're right about how her hairstyles didn't do her justice. e.g. in Zero Hour. But I can kind of see why that is since she wasn't playing a showgirl or glamour type role (unlike some of those earlier films). Still gorgeous no matter the hairstyle.

Linda Darnell is one of those actresses, like Ann Sheridan, whose looks were diminished substantially by the short, curly hairstyles of the late 40s and the 50s. They didn't flatter them. Linda, always trying to be fairly up to date with hairstyles (she wore many of those upturned dos of the war years), would cut her hair short, starting in early 1948. At that point, she did it to get rid of the last of the reddish blonde she had worn over a year, initially for FOREVER AMBER, and then for the following film, THE WALLS OF JERICHO. Anyway, she would alternate the short cuts with the longer styles that suited her better. The style that seemed to work least on her was a short, tight fitting cut, with curls framing her face. When she was a little full in the face, that look seemed to exacerbate this significantly. In any event, she never wore this short style in a movie, but.there are.plenty of photos, and she did a.few.tv.shows.in the second.half of the 50s with variations of this cut; while the prevailing style, it didnt suit her.

Ok, so I finally broke down and purchased a film to stream from Amazon, BLACK SPURS (1965) As the only Movie with Linda Darnell for which they offer this service which I don't have, I have despaired that BS will ever be released on dvd. This movie was Darnell's first film in several years, and her last film. She .filmed it a few months before she died, and it was released posthumously May 1965.

This lowbudget western was one of A. C. Lyles economy features he did during the 1960s, featuring many old timers. This one is no exception; besides second billed Linda, there is top billed Rory Cahoun, Terry Moore, Scott Brady, Lon Chaney Jr.,.Bruce Cabot and Richard Arlen. The story has Linda as a saloon hostess, with not much too do; despite being billed lower, Terry Moore had a more substantial part. As for her looks,.she is definitely heavier than her last screen appearance, although it is not clear by how much. With the picture going from my laptop to my tv, it might suffer from the full.widescreen of anything on the laptop. She is more mature looking, but still.very attractive, and she looks good in most of her costumes. except for one, with a train or tail, which seems to emphasize her girth. However, as mentioned, it may be due to screen distortion. Overall, I am glad I made this purchase.

On Wednesday, 6/3, @ 6 am est, FMC will air the second film Linda Darnell ever made, DAY-TIME WIFE (1939). She was not yet 16 when she made it. Costarring for the first of four times with 20th Century Fox' top male star, Tyrone Power, she inherited a part that had been tailor-made for Loretta Young, who had refused to renew her contrsct with Fox.

This amiable screwball comedy has Linda as a young bride who wants to know why her husband is spending so much time at the office, and decides to find out by getting a job as a secretary; her boss is roguish cad Warren William. Also in the cast are Wendy Barrie, Binnie Barnes and Joan Davis.

Ok, so I finally broke down and purchased a film to stream from Amazon, BLACK SPURS (1965) As the only Movie with Linda Darnell for which they offer this service which I don't have, I have despaired that BS will ever be released on dvd. This movie was Darnell's first film in several years, and her last film. She .filmed it a few months before she died, and it was released posthumously May 1965.

This lowbudget western was one of A. C. Lyles economy features he did during the 1960s, featuring many old timers. This one is no exception; besides second billed Linda, there is top billed Rory Cahoun, Terry Moore, Scott Brady, Lon Chaney Jr.,.Bruce Cabot and Richard Arlen. The story has Linda as a saloon hostess, with not much too do; despite being billed lower, Terry Moore had a more substantial part. As for her looks,.she is definitely heavier than her last screen appearance, although it is not clear by how much. With the picture going from my laptop to my tv, it might suffer from the full.widescreen of anything on the laptop. She is more mature looking, but still.very attractive, and she looks good in most of her costumes. except for one, with a train or tail, which seems to emphasize her girth. However, as mentioned, it may be due to screen distortion. Overall, I am glad I made this purchase.

Ok, I just edited the quoted post. I cannot believe I didn't mention the name of the movie I was referring to, other than its initials (no, it's not called BS). So I am referring to BLACK SPURS.

Since purchasing this film, I have watched it a.few.more times. I was able to get the Smart part of my Smart.TV to work, and the film looks good there, better than through my laptop, with its constant pauses as it tries to find the signal.

First off, the color is very vivid (it is Technicolor). And on a more normal dimensioned screen format, Linda Darnell.doesn't looked compressed anymore, and therefore, not as heavy as on first viewing. I refer to this because this was the purported boon to her career, where her weight gain caused her to not get anymore viable film offers. But she looks good, sure somewhat thicker than before, but not inordinately so. Her face.is puffier, but there are glimpses.of her beauty still. the point is, that her looks couldn't have been the main reason why she hadn't made a feature film in several years.

This film has some parallels with her most renowned western, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. Here she is also a woman of loose morals, trying to make money plying the saloon. There is also a lawman, who has had a change of heart, and tries to clean up the town of its unsavory elements, thereby making thr town bearable for the decent folks. Just some parallels between the two films; quality-wise, there is no comparison.

On Wednesday, 6/3, @ 6 am est, FMC will air the second film Linda Darnell ever made, DAY-TIME WIFE (1939). She was not yet 16 when she made it. Costarring for the first of four times with 20th Century Fox' top male star, Tyrone Power, she inherited a part that had been tailor-made for Loretta Young, who had refused to renew her contrsct with Fox.

This amiable screwball comedy has Linda as a young bride who wants to know why her husband is spending so much time at the office, and decides to find out by getting a job as a secretary; her boss is roguish cad Warren William. Also in the cast are Wendy Barrie, Binnie Barnes and Joan Davis.

Day-Time-Wife is a film I'm hoping MOVIES-TV shows since I read about it in Lover and Lunatics (a book about comedies of the 30s and early 40s).

With that strong cast and what I assume to be a very radiant Linda it must be worth seeing.

Day-Time-Wife is a film I'm hoping MOVIES-TV shows since I read about it in Lover and Lunatics (a book about comedies of the 30s and early 40s).

With that strong cast and what I assume to be a very radiant Linda it must be worth seeing.

It's.an enjoyable comedy, with a very young Linda. If you have FMC, it will be repeated June 25. Also,.the second of four films she did with Power, the historical epic.BRIGHAM YOUNG,.will be on this channel this Monday and Tuesday.

It's.an enjoyable comedy, with a very young Linda. If you have FMC, it will be repeated June 25. Also,.the second of four films she did with Power, the historical epic.BRIGHAM YOUNG,.will be on this channel this Monday and Tuesday.

Arturo, have you seen two more beautiful people? I loved them together.

057-tyrone-power-theredlist.jpg

• Like 2

Arturo, have you seen two more beautiful people? I loved them together.

057-tyrone-power-theredlist.jpg

I agree, although I think it's.a shame they never made any made any films.once Linda became.an adult; she was between 15 and 17 when they did their four films. Despite several near misses, they never did anymore after.he came.back from the.war,.and her image.had changed.from a sweet young thing to that of a femme.fatale. That could've beeninteresting.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a dvd I ordered from Amazon, for the film GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI / THE LAST FIVE MINUTES (1955). I had been eying this for months, as it was one of the few films with Linda Darnell for which I didn't have in any form. I had not purchased it because it is an Italian import, and a.Region 2 dvd; this meant that it would not be compatible with most dvd players in the US or Canada, which are Region 1. When the listing on Amazon stated "only one copy left", I started.to feel I needed.to get.it. I did minimal research, and found out that Bluray players could supposedly play all regions. So I purchased one at Frye's, recommended by the.salesperson as one that should play all regions.

I was pleasantly surprised when it arrive in like ten day, about a month earlier than they said it would. Unfortunately the Bluray could.not.read it. Somehow I vaguely remembered that my laptop should be able to play it, so I tried it there. I was prompted to change the Region from 1 to 2, which is apparently a finite option. It worked beautifully, and the picture looked great, especially as my laptop is hooked up to the tv in my room. I was so happy with this, that I decided to leave the Region 2 as the default player on my laptop. This way, not only could I continue to play this film.at any time, I could get some more of those Region 2 rarities and watch this way.

I have since ordered several other Region 2 dvds, including three with Linda Darnell. More on that later.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a dvd I ordered from Amazon, for the film GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI / THE LAST FIVE MINUTES (1955). I had been eying this for months, as it was one of the few films with Linda Darnell for which I didn't have in any form. I had not purchased it because it is an Italian import, and a.Region 2 dvd; this meant that it would not be compatible with most dvd players in the US or Canada, which are Region 1. When the listing on Amazon stated "only one copy left", I started.to feel I needed.to get.it. I did minimal research, and found out that Bluray players could supposedly play all regions. So I purchased one at Frye's, recommended by the.salesperson as one that should play all regions.

I was pleasantly surprised when it arrive in like ten day, about a month earlier than they said it would. Unfortunately the Bluray could.not.read it. Somehow I vaguely remembered that my laptop should be able to play it, so I tried it there. I was prompted to change the Region from 1 to 2, which is apparently a finite option. It worked beautifully, and the picture looked great, especially as my laptop is hooked up to the tv in my room. I was so happy with this, that I decided to leave the Region 2 as the default player on my laptop. This way, not only could I continue to play this film.at any time, I could get some more of those Region 2 rarities and watch this way.

I have since ordered several other Region 2 dvds, including three with Linda Darnell. More on that later.

Since receiving.the dvd of GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI / THE LAST FIVE MINUTES (also released in some English speaking countries as IT HAPPENED IN ROMA), I have watched it several times. I was thrilled with this purchase.

First of all, it looks great, with crisp, clear black and white images. Secondly, I had always heard the film was terrible, but it definitely is not, as far as I can tell. My imperfect Italian has not yet allowed me to catch all.of the dialogue, especially when they go into rapid fire speech, which is quite often. However, it is obviously a good romantic comedy, and the players are great.

Vittorio de.Sica.and Linda Darnell both wish to rent the same apartment in Rome near the Vatican. Their solution, is they get married, wigh the understanding that Linda can continue to look for Mr. Right. Naturally, De Sica finds fault.with all her potential mates, and revels in pointing it out to Darnell. He tags.along with her and the champion speed boat racer on the racers vessel, and pulls something in the engine which leaves them afloat for hours; later he saves the day. The French Shakespearian thespian he shows to be quite a bore, and the musician has another woman fawning over him. But it is the playboy, Rossano Brazzi, who proves effective in possibly winning Linda for good. De Sica realizes he loves her, and ends up pointing out her own feelings for him, in literally, the last five minutes of the title, on a very ancient elevator cage.

The playing is quite good, with De Sica droll and amusing at all times, Darnell giving as good as she gets, and all others quite effective. Director Giuseppe Amato added some deft directorial touches,.and opened it up a bit,.from its stagebound predecessor. All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised.

GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI (1955) is a movie I am coming to view as a lost treasure, a superb vehicle for Linda Darnell at a time when her movie career was about to decline severely. Perhaps because she plays a woman of means, she is given the glamor treatment not in evidence in her several previous films. She is given a glamorous wardrobe, and is always impeccably coiffed and made up, and she hadn't look this beautiful on film since 1951 or so. Plus, in general she lolks more slender than she has in years; there is a scene or two where her extended stay in Italy, with the pasta-rich diets she preferred, where she has noticeably gained a bit of weight, the bane of her later career, but still looks great.

Unfortunately for Linda, and her career, this film was.never released in the US. I feel that with a suitable dubbing, or with subtitling, and with a fairly wide release, it could have been a hit for her, provided it got a decent review from Bosley Crowther. That could have been a game changer for her, giving her somd.much needed exposure on screens when the long gap between films.was making the offers from Hollywood start to dry up. Her previous films, THIS IS MY LOVE, an overwrought noirish soap, did not do well when released in the fall of 1954, and DONNE PROIBITE, Linda's first foray into filmmaking in Italy, with the same producer as GUCM, had been done in mid 1953, but only released in the US in late 1956, and then spottily; these two had not done much to keep her name up on marquees.

So, GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI exacerbated this; she was away in Italy for six months, not only doing this film but putting the final touches in realizing her dream project, establishing a Girls Town of Italy. While that might have been fulfilling personally, it kept her away and out of the spotlight for a lengthy and crucial time. And with this film not released here, Darnell would not be seen on the screen until mid 1956, in DAKOTA INCIDENT, an exciting, if unprestigious western done at Republic.

I mentioned here recently that, with my unexpected and surprisingly good experience buying a Region 2 dvd for the Linda Darnell movie GLI ULTIMI CINQUE MINUTI, I have purchased several other European Region 2 films,.to play on my laptop. Three of these films.are with Darnell, and I have since received and played them. I have these already, in dvds of varying quality.

One, SECOND CHANCE (1953), I have in dvds I made from TCM. My recent purchase was from Denmark, and was of mixed result. The picture was clearer and crisper than what I already had, even occasionally giving a bit of illusion of the 3D of the original release. But the color was substantially more faded than what TCM has shown. With Robert Mitchum.and Jack Palance also featured, I don't understand why this thriller was never given an official release here.

The other two were made while Linda was under contract to Fox, THE WALLS OF JERICHO (1948) and TWO FLAGS WEST (1950). Both are offical releases in Spain, and go by the titles MURALLAS HUMANAS ("Human Walls"), and ENTRE DOS JURAMENTOS (roughly " Between Two Flags"). The quality of these was great, especially TWO FLAGS WEST, where the depth perception was.amazing. I was most thrilled by TWOJ, as.I only had this in a washed out bootleg copy I bought online a few years ago. I have happily watched each a few times.since.receiving the discs.

What is obvious is that these are.labelled.as Fox Cinema.Classics, with deluxe packaging, if not many extras. They were released.in 2009, the year that series was suspended here in the US. So it seems.reasonable to assume that they were meant for release.here also, when.Fox suspended release of its classics. This is a shame, as both are good.films, and with the very good visual quality, it seems that they could get the Fox Cinema.Archives DVR treatment, at.least,.and viewings.on FMC.and TCM.

Next, I plan to order the Spanish release of FOREVER AMBER, which seems.to be another of that discontinued series.

Well,.I forgot to post here earlier, to mention that Linda Darnell would be seen late Monday on TCM,.as part of Lee J. Cobb's SUTS, in ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946). She plays the decorative, if decidedly brief role of Tuptim, reluctant concubine to the king. She is suitably exotic, wearing the Siamese.version of the sarong. During thr filming of the burning sequence, she was burned slightly, causing her to comment that she preferred dying.on screen (she usually ended up dead on film at this time) by shooting or strangling; ironically, she would be burned while filming three different movies.

This expensive movie, the first of the postwar blockbusters without the wartime restrictions on sets, costumes, etc., needed the boxoffice insurance of Darnell,.along with Dunne; Harrison meant next to nothing in America up to this point. Linda's image in the costumes and makeup were featured prominently in the promotional materials for the film, and in the fan magazines, to help sell the movie. Her role was probably substantially larger originally. Darryl Zanuck did his usual job of editing, especially with its long running time, and must've cut out much of her role.