Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arturo

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

As a fan of the Warners biopic Gentleman Jim, I had long been curious to see THE GREAT JOHN L., a 1945 Bing Crosby Productions film portrait of John L. Sullivan. I finally had a chance to see a print of the film, Arturo, albeit a dark, inferior image which failed to do the film much justice.

It seems to me that Linda Darnell, while unquestionably attractive, no surprise, is also largely wasted in the role of a musical stage performer who marries Sullivan when he is on the rebound after failing to get the "love of his life" (played by Barbara Britton) to marry him. Greg McClure is, physically, closer to the real John L. than was Ward Bond in the Warners film. However, while Bond was enthusiastically boisterous and brought real heart to the role of the heavyweight champion, the stoic McClure is clearly emotive-challenged.

Bond brought down the house when he bellowed, "I can lick any man in the world" while the deadpan delivery of the same line by McClure threatens to put those closest to him asleep.

However, The Great John L. does have nice Gay '90s atmosphere with its costumes and sets, as well as at least one enthusiastic scene set in a bar while Sullivan is visiting Paris. In this scene he is unexpectedly challenged to a fight by a mincing flamboyant individual who looks more like a ballet dancer than a fighter. Sullivan initially laughs at the challenger only to find out that the man is a kick boxer, inflicting significant damage upon the Boston Strongboy before the latter finally puts him away with the first two punches that finally land on him.

The other thing that I found interesting about The Great John L., as well, is the film's greater historical accuracy than I expected to find in a Hollywood production. McClure is muscular but not as tall as was Bond as Sullivan. Historically accurate, as the real John L. was only 5'10", an incredibly strong fighter with fast hands and a deadly right hand.

Sullivan's parents in the film are a, seemingly, physical comedy mismatch, with a giant stocky mother and an undersized father with a fiery temper, the latter opposed to his son being a boxer. All true, though.

Darnell's character is a show biz performer named Annie who has a loveless marriage with the boxer. The real John L. married a chorus girl named Anne for a troubled marriage that was over within about a year.

Following John L.'s defeat in the ring to Jim Corbett (played by a young Rory Calhoun) he gives a brief speech to the crowd in which he expresses gratitude that he at least lost the heavyweight crown to a fellow American. Well, the real John L. did do exactly that in the ring at the time of his loss of the crown.

The final reel of the film depicts John L.'s alcoholic downward spiral after losing the crown. Again, McClure's lifeless performance fails to bring pathos to a portrait of a proud man bent on self destruction, but it made me think that, with the right director, cast and script, the real story of John L. Sullivan could be a highly effective one for the screen.

The film ends with John L. a temperance man (historically accurate) and hooked up, finally, with the girl that he had always loved (Britton) for a happy ending - pure Hollywood bunkum.

Bottom line, The Great John L. is a curiosity piece more than it is a really effective screen portrait, with lovely Linda in another window dressing role. She does, however, have the opportunity to at least look physically fetching in costume in one or two scenes in which she sings before a crowd (well, at least, I expect she does if I can ever find a decent looking print of the film).

400px-GreatJohnL1_zpsnqcsdq78.jpg

Tom, great writeup in which I concur. Question: where did you see this film? About a year ago, I found a dvd for sale on ebay (I think), and bought it. Yes the quality is prettg bad, but at least I got a chance to see it. I did notice that the running time seemed to be some 9 minutes less than what is listed for the film, and there are some choppy transitions. So I'm thinking the cuts were made for tv timeslots.

I sure wish I could get a decent copy, if only to see Linda clearly. But oh well, for now.

Thanks Tom, that's a great shot; I don't think I've ever seen it.

Yup, brunette or blonde, Darnell was still a knockout.

[media]

[media]

Would you know if that was Linda's own's singing voice in this scene, Arturo?

One of my favourite scenes in this film is when Ward Bond whinnies like a horse at Darnell as she walks past him and she responds by throwing a pitcher of beer in his face.

Tom, great writeup in which I concur. Question: where did you see this film? About a year ago, I found a dvd for sale on ebay (I think), and bought it. Yes the quality is prettg bad, but at least I got a chance to see it. I did notice that the running time seemed to be some 9 minutes less than what is listed for the film, and there are some choppy transitions. So I'm thinking the cuts were made for tv timeslots.

I sure wish I could get a decent copy, if only to see Linda clearly. But oh well, for now.

I got the DVD from a private collector, Arturo, and, as I said, the image was pretty rough. The only game in town, unfortunately, for me.

• Like 1

Arturo, just a thought, if only Bing Crosby Productions could have snatched up Ward Bond to play the title role in The Great John L.. There were some sparks (not to mention beer in the face) in his scenes with Linda in My Darling Clementine. Okay, I know, the Crosby Productions film didn't have John Ford at the helm but it still would have probably been a lot more memorable.

• Like 1

walls%20of%20jericho-set_zps4prnsmqn.jpg

I found this shot of Linda on the set of The Walls of Jericho that I thought might interest you, Arturo, in case you hadn't seen it before. Looks like Kirk's helping out her hair stylist.

Then, again, maybe he's just saying, "Is that a grey hair?" ;)

Seems like Kirk.could be pointing at.her cleavage, and looking.downward past.the hair. Seems like a.possibility.

Yup, brunette or blonde, Darnell was still a knockout.

[media]

[media]

Would you know if that was Linda's own's singing voice in this scene, Arturo?

One of my favourite scenes in this film is when Ward Bond whinnies like a horse at Darnell as she walks past him and she responds by throwing a pitcher of beer in his face.

In MY DARLING CLEMENTI.E, it.appears to be Linda's voice; she had a fair singing voice. However, I know she was dubbed for the musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER. I'm not sure if she did her own singing in HANGOVER SQUARE or THE GREAT JOHN L.

Later, in the early 60s,.husband No. 3, Merle Robby Robertson, having taken over managing her career, urged her to do.a.nightclub act. She prepared.for it, but felt inadequate, thinking that her singing voice.was.****. Despite being terrified of.live audiences.with what she felt.was.a substandard.show, and which caused her to resume.drinking, she got.decent.reviews.and did well.around the country. Unfortunately, the drunk Vegas crowds did not care for the show, and she never played there again after her two week stint. She would discard the act after.separating.from her husband.

• Like 2

FOREVER AMBER will be shown again on FMC, around the 19th or 20 th of this month. There are at least two showings. I will post the times later.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow, Saturday, 12/19 at 10:30 est, and Sunday, 12/20 at 3:30 am est.

Although largely forgotten today, in its day this movie, and the racy bestseller it was based on, were quite well-known, even notorious. Some years later, there was a play on the title in an episode of I Love Lucy. This is the one where Lucy decided to write a novel, and changes the names of her husband and the Mertzes but slightly, and describes them rather negatively. She settled on the title "Real Gone With the Wind".Incensed, Ricky, Ethel and Fred find the copy she hid and burn it. Not knowing she made multiple copies, a triumphant Ethel says, "We changed the title from 'Real Gone With the Wind' to 'Forever Ember'". Of course, audiences of the day would have gotten the reference.

I Love Lucy was the number one show on TV because of its innovative techniques, great writing, and marvelous players. It is timeless, capturing succeeding generations in it's thrall, unlike say, Hazel, with it's dated lowbrow humor, despite its star.

• Like 1

Arturo, I came across a website that had a writeup on Linda Darnell. You might be interested in it.

http://jake-weird.blogspot.fr/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-11-18T19:33:00-08:00&max-results=50&start=22&by-date=false

About her 1950 western, Two Flags West, it said:

'Two Flags West' was shot near the San Ildefonso reservation, some fifteen miles northwest of Santa Fe. Linda hated making westerns, particularly since she was allergic to horses. Gradually the crew came to refer to the picture as "Two Fags West," as tempers began to flare. "Cornel is seemingly trying to be halfway decent," Linda wrote, "but I still avoid him as much as possible. Joe Cotten is an awfully stuffed shirt, and a lush to boot, but Jeff Chandler is a dreamboat, good actor, and a real down-to-earth guy."

I gather from that comment of Darnell's that she was not too crazy about her Forever Amber co-star. I had never heard any reference to Joseph Cotten having a drinking issue before, and her comment further substantiated the impression that I had of Jeff Chandler as a person.

dd897318-616a-4d34-8e7f-6f8940edd4db_zps

They seem to be getting along well in this shot, at least.

Arturo, I came across a website that had a writeup on Linda Darnell. You might be interested in it.

http://jake-weird.blogspot.fr/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-11-18T19:33:00-08:00&max-results=50&start=22&by-date=false

'Two Flags West' was shot near the San Ildefonso reservation, some fifteen miles northwest of Santa Fe. Linda hated making westerns, particularly since she was allergic to horses. Gradually the crew came to refer to the picture as "Two Fags West," as tempers began to flare. "Cornel is seemingly trying to be halfway decent," Linda wrote, "but I still avoid him as much as possible. Joe Cotten is an awfully stuffed shirt, and a lush to boot, but Jeff Chandler is a dreamboat, good actor, and a real down-to-earth guy."

I gather from that comment of Darnell's that she was not too crazy about her Forever Amber co-star. I had never heard any reference to Joseph Cotten having a drinking issue before, and her comment further substantiated the impression that I had of Jeff Chandler as a person.

Thanks for that.link Tom. I recognized.the passage above as from her biography, "Hollywood Beauty"; almost everything in that article was from that book. The article was interesting, but it had some faults. Nice pictures accompany it, but the passages jump around, separate events are lumped into one paragraph, and there is little context in the way of dates.

Linda made four films with Cornel Wilde: CENTENNIAL SUMMER (1946), FOREVER AMBER (1947), THE WALLS OF JERICHO (1948), and TWO FLAGS WEST (1950). Interestingly, all were costumers. In all but the last, Linda chases after Cornel, scheming to accomplish this, but doesn't get him. In TFW, it is Cornel who is after her, along with Jeff Chandler and Joseph Cotton.

There was at least one other projected vehicle for the pair, WALTZ INTO DARKNESS, based on a Cornell Woolrich story. It was to have been made in 1949, and would have been another costume drama. In it, Linda would have been a mail-order bride, arriving in 19th Century New Orleans, with Cornel as the plantation owner husband. He begins to doubt that she is the person with whom he had corresponded and contracted marriage. This intriguing noirish premise would have been a perfect vehicle for the two, too bad it wasn't filmed. The story was made into a movie in the late 60s,.a.French production with Catherine Deneuve; it took place in modern times in a.tropical French colony (Reunion?). It was also done about a dozen years ago as ORIGINAL SIN, with Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas; the location was Cuba in the 19th Century.

• Like 1

'Two Flags West' was shot near the San Ildefonso reservation, some fifteen miles northwest of Santa Fe. Linda hated making westerns, particularly since she was allergic to horses. Gradually the crew came to refer to the picture as "Two Fags West," as tempers began to flare. "Cornel is seemingly trying to be halfway decent," Linda wrote, "but I still avoid him as much as possible. Joe Cotten is an awfully stuffed shirt, and a lush to boot, but Jeff Chandler is a dreamboat, good actor, and a real down-to-earth guy."

Tom,.as.to the "stuffed shirt" comment of Linda's re. Joseph Cottonm,I read.somewhere (a bio on Cotton?), that there were some in Hollywood who doubted Cotton's sexuality. When he was assigned to be in TFW with Linda, they wanted to see if he would respond to her in that manner. Apparently, he did not. I think she claimed, maybe in another anecdote, that his kissing was perfuntory, at best. Maybe this is where the "stuffed shirt" depiction came from.

Tom,.as.to the "stuffed shirt" comment of Linda's re. Joseph Cottonm,I read.somewhere (a bio on Cotton?), that there were some in Hollywood who doubted Cotton's sexuality. When he was assigned to be in TFW with Linda, they wanted to see if he would respond to her in that manner. Apparently, he did not. I think she claimed, maybe in another anecdote, that his kissing was perfuntory, at best. Maybe this is where the "stuffed shirt" depiction came from.

I've always been a big fan of Joseph Cotten, particularly during the '40s. He appeared in (and enhanced) as remarkable a collection of film titles during that decade as any other actor in Hollywood, even if he wasn't always the star of the production. I don't know much about his personal life, outside of his friendship with Welles and later marriage to Patricia Medina, and anything else that Wikipedia may choose to mention. Yeh, who knows the basis for Linda's comment about him, except that it's a reflection of the fact that they obviously didn't connect as people.

By the way, for what it's worth, there is no mention on Wiki of Cotten having any personal demons on any kind.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow, Saturday, 12/19 at 10:30 est, and Sunday, 12/20 at 3:30 am est.

Although largely forgotten today, in its day this movie, and the racy bestseller it was based on, were quite well-known, even notorious. Some years later, there was a play on the title in an episode of I Love Lucy. This is the one where Lucy decided to write a novel, and changes the names of her husband and the Mertzes but slightly, and describes them rather negatively. She settled on the title "Real Gone With the Wind".Incensed, Ricky, Ethel and Fred find the copy she hid and burn it. Not knowing she made multiple copies, a triumphant Ethel says, "We changed the title from 'Real Gone With the Wind' to 'Forever Ember'". Of course, audiences of the day would have gotten the reference.

I Love Lucy was the number one show on TV because of its innovative techniques, great writing, and marvelous players. It is timeless, capturing succeeding generations in it's thrall, unlike say, Hazel, with it's dated lowbrow humor, despite its star.

I caught most of FOREVER AMBER yesterday as I was waking up. It seems that the colors were a bit more vibrant than when I last saw it on FMC a couple of months ago. And the ending has part of the spoken denoument, which was added along with a similar prologue, denouncing the wages of sin, in order to appease the Catholic Legion of Decency. Cornel Wilde basically says, that haven't he and Amber caused enough sin and suffering. The film ends there, rather anticlimactically, since a further scene was cut out.

Anyway, I have not noticed this spoken passage since pre-AMC days, when regular TV broadcasts included it. I think they were removed when the first VHS videotape was released. All showings since, and all dvd copies that I have (I think), have this removed. Now I will have to check.

OK, so I started this thread some 3 years ago. I "get" that as a long-term 20th Century Fox star, Linda Darnell may have most of her films not readily available to TCM. However, a number of her Fox films have been shown on the channel, including at least two that have been Essentials, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES and ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM. And, at least two other stars with long-term contracts at Fox have been recent SOTM, Shirley Temple and Susan Hayward. Plus, many of her non-Fox films have been shown. So this is totally do-able. Come TCM, let's Linda Darnell Movie one of the months on 2016.

• Like 4

I'm completely on board with Linda Darnell for SOTM.  I am not familiar with her work at all and I would love to know more about her and her career.

2016 should be the year of the Fox Stars! 

Linda Darnell

Marilyn Monroe

Betty Grable

Don Ameche

Dana Andrews

Tyrone Power

So many more.  This would be a great collection of stars for a SOTM tribute. 

I want to see more of those fabulous Fox Noirs.

• Like 3

I'm completely on board with Linda Darnell for SOTM.  I am not familiar with her work at all and I would love to know more about her and her career.

2016 should be the year of the Fox Stars! 

Linda Darnell

Marilyn Monroe

Betty Grable

Don Ameche

Dana Andrews

Tyrone Power

So many more.  This would be a great collection of stars for a SOTM tribute. 

I want to see more of those fabulous Fox Noirs.

If only....at least two or three of these Fox stars. And don't forget, among others, Gene Tierney. And speaking of Fox noirs, Richard Widmark.

• Like 1

Well,.I forgot to post here earlier, to mention that Linda Darnell would be seen late Monday on TCM,.as part of Lee J. Cobb's SUTS, in ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946). She plays the decorative, if decidedly brief role of Tuptim, reluctant concubine to the king. She is suitably exotic, wearing the Siamese.version of the sarong. During thr filming of the burning sequence, she was burned slightly, causing her to comment that she preferred dying.on screen (she usually ended up dead on film at this time) by shooting or strangling; ironically, she would be burned while filming three different movies.

This expensive movie, the first of the postwar blockbusters without the wartime restrictions on sets, costumes, etc., needed the boxoffice insurance of Darnell,.along with Dunne; Harrison meant next to nothing in America up to this point. Linda's image in the costumes and makeup were featured prominently in the promotional materials for the film, and in the fan magazines, to help sell the movie. Her role was probably substantially larger originally. Darryl Zanuck did his usual job of editing, especially with its long running time, and must've cut out much of her role.

Ok,.I again missed.posting.that.TCM would.be showing..ANNA.AND.THE KING.OF SIAM tonight (in fact,.it's on right now). For some.reason, when I look at.the Directv.ProgramGuide's Cast and Crew function, which lists an artist's.upcoming features, this film.doesn't pop up for Linda Darnell, although her name is on the program's cast list. Anyway, although I wanted to post since yesterday about this, I was unable to due to failing internet connections.

Upcoming.on TCM later this month, are BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE.and NO WAY OUT (thanks Speedracer). More on those later, internet permitting.

Two movies with Linda Darnell.will be on TCM in the next few days, including one later today.

Today, Tueday, 1/19 @ 6:15 pm est:

BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE (1952): The first film Linda did at RKO, where ex-lover Howard Hughes was intent on revealing as much of Linda (or her cleavage at least-this is the man who brought us Jane Russell) as the period costumes and the media watchdogs of the time would permit. Here she is a damsel in distress, becoming a pawn between the titular character and the governor of Jamaica. With a hammy Robert Newton, and a not far behind William Bendix, Keith Andes, Torin Thatcher,.and Irene Ryan. Directed by Raoul Walsh. Not a classic swashbuckler, but colorful and fun.

Sunday, January 24 @ 10 pm est:

NO WAY OUT (1950): One of Darnell's best films.and acting, this harrowing racial drama still hits a hard wallop. Pulling no punches, it features a uniformly strong cast, excellent.writing and direction; the latter by Joseph Mankiewicz. Featuring.Sidney Poitier's film debut, and Also starring Richard Widmark and Stephen McNally, with Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, among others.

Also, upcoming Linda Darnell.appearances:

TCM.will.show FOREVER AMBER on Tuesday, 1/26 @ 8;40 am est.

And EncoreWesterns, in their airing again of the classic tv show, Wagon Train, will have the first of two episodes with Linda, "The Dora Gray Story", on Friday, 1/29 @ 2:15 pm, and the first season finale, "The Sacramento Story", where she cameos the Dora Gray character, on Saturday, 1/30 @ 11 am.

More.on these later.....

• Like 3

Tonight, at 10 pm.est, TCM will show NO WAY OUT (1950), starring Linda Darnell, Richard Summary, Stephen McNally, and, making his film.debut, Sidney Poitier. Directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, this is a searing drama of racial strife, featuring excellent writing and acting. Widmark is a racist sociopathic hoodlum, who, convinced that intern Poitier intentionally killed his brother, foments a race riot. Darnell plays his ex-sister-in-law/girlfriend, who is unwittingly instrumental in starting the riot, and ending up saving Poitier from Widmark. A very good film dealing with racial tensions, something that still lingers in this country.

NWO was one of Linda's best films, and gave her one of her best acting opportunities. By contrast, on Tuesday, 1/26@ 8:40 am est, Fox Movie Channel will show Linda's most prominent film, the once controversial FOREVER AMBER (1947). Despite the overblown and hyped project falling short of expectations, this is a colorful sumptuous production, much better than its surviving reputation. However, Linda is not given much of an acting opportunity here, but is game as the blonde hussy climbing up social from.man to.man,.reaching the court of King Charles II as his mistress.

• Like 1

Tonight, at 10 pm.est, TCM will show NO WAY OUT (1950), starring Linda Darnell, Richard Summary, Stephen McNally, and, making his film.debut, Sidney Poitier. Directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, this is a searing drama of racial strife, featuring excellent writing and acting. Widmark is a racist sociopathic hoodlum, who, convinced that intern Poitier intentionally killed his brother, foments a race riot. Darnell plays his ex-sister-in-law/girlfriend, who is unwittingly instrumental in starting the riot, and ending up saving Poitier from Widmark. A very good film dealing with racial tensions, something that still lingers in this country.

NWO was one of Linda's best films, and gave her one of her best acting opportunities. By contrast, on Tuesday, 1/26@ 8:40 am est, Fox Movie Channel will show Linda's most prominent film, the once controversial FOREVER AMBER (1947). Despite the overblown and hyped project falling short of expectations, this is a colorful sumptuous production, much better than its surviving reputation. However, Linda is not given much of an acting opportunity here, but is game as the blonde hussy climbing up social from.man to.man,.reaching the court of King Charles II as his mistress.

It was good.seeing Linda Darnell.the other night on TCM, in it's showing of NO WAY OUT. It was also good hearing Robert Osborne mention her in the intro, as the appearances of her films.on TCM are scarce enough. I agree with Osborne's assessment of NWO still packing a wallop, and how it must've been when it was released in 1950.

Now, if TCM can only round up 1 1/2 to 2 dozen more Darnell.movies,.and they can do that SOTM tribute.

• Like 1

A post on the Home Theater Forum says that today's showing of Forever Amber on FMC contained additional scenes/dialogue not present in previous FMC/home-video versions.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330361-fox-cinema-archives-debuts-18-new-classic-films-on-dvd-starting-march-18/page-24

A post on the Home Theater Forum says that today's showing of Forever Amber on FMC contained additional scenes/dialogue not present in previous FMC/home-video versions.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330361-fox-cinema-archives-debuts-18-new-classic-films-on-dvd-starting-march-18/page-24

Thanks for the interesting link. I mentioned this same thing here; scroll below to my comments on 12/20/2015. The extra ending voiceover was added to the movie, after the release, when condemnation by the Catholic Legion of Decency, and boycott of FOREVER AMBER by them, led to the insertion of this dialogue to appease the organization. Some scenes were also cut short or excised.

It was good.seeing Linda Darnell.the other night on TCM, in it's showing of NO WAY OUT. It was also good hearing Robert Osborne mention her in the intro, as the appearances of her films.on TCM are scarce enough. I agree with Osborne's assessment of NWO still packing a wallop, and how it must've been when it was released in 1950.

Now, if TCM can only round up 1 1/2 to 2 dozen more Darnell.movies,.and they can do that SOTM tribute.

I have seen the film before so this time most of my focus was on Linda and her performance.    See was very good and convincing

• Like 2

I have seen the film before so this time most of my focus was on Linda and her performance. See was very good and convincing

I agree that Linda Darnell was very good in NO WAY OUT, and was very proud of her contribution in this film. She loved the fact that she didn't have to play a glamorous role, and boasted something along the line of, "My wardrobe cost like $30.00, and most of it was in black and blue marks". Contrast this to the wardrobe budget for FOREVER AMBER, close to $100,000.00.

Darnell actively sought out other acting challenges while under contract at Fox, and afterward. Unfortunately, studio head Darryl F.Zanuck preferred giving her assignments where her glamor and physical attributes might constitute the bulk of her contribution. This led to bitterness and resentment towards Zanuck on Linda's part, sentiments encouraged by NWO director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, with whom she was having an intense affair. So Linda became vocal about her dissatisfaction with the subsequent roles she was given, even going on suspension in order to not do at least one.

• Like 1

FOREVER AMBER will be on twice tomorrow morning on FMC, @ 3:30 am, and 12:40.pm.. So we can compare.which version is being shown on the channel.

Tonight, TCM will.air ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM @ 10 pm.est. Linda Darnell's role as the tragic Tuptim is rather small, but she looks great as this exotic concubine. Her burning at the stake was one of three times she actually got burned slightly while filming. This is where she developed her lifelong fear of fire, ironic in light of her actual death.

On Saturday, 2/20 @ 8 pm, TCM will show the searing racial drama NO WAY OUT, in which she first helps start a race riot, and later is instrumental in saving Sidney Poitier's life. This powerful film is still relevant in today's America.

• Like 1