Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

I find it peculiar that Darnell would have such a small role in Anna and the King of Siam (a sign of faltering faith by Zanuck?), and yet get the lead in a major production like Forever Amber the following year. Were some kind of studio politics involved, I wonder, based on the mood of the studio boss.

I find it peculiar that Darnell would have such a small role in Anna and the King of Siam (a sign of faltering faith by Zanuck?), and yet get the lead in a major production like Forever Amber the following year. Were some kind of studio politics involved, I wonder, based on the mood of the studio boss.

Never read the book, so I don't know how prominent Linda's character is in the book. But the film is quite long as.released, and studio boss Zanuck was not one to deal with talky scenes very well. He was also ruthless when editing, and might've cut out many of Darnell's scenes in order to make the main story move along faster. I think much of Darnell's part night've suffered due to this.

Additionally, I have mentioned that AATKOS was the first epic made by Hollywood in the immediate postwar period. Nothing was spared in the making of the sets, costumes, etc., all the things in short supply or outright forbidden during the war. With this expensive venture, risk was involved, and as one of the two leads, Rex Harrison, was barely known in th U.S., the practice of boxoffice insurance was put into play; Darnell was cast to do boxoffice duty. Her name meant something to audiences, along with that of Irene Dunne, and could be counted on to bring in patrons. Linda's image in the exotic get-up was used prominently to advertise the film in the Fan magazines of the time.

Yes, Zanuck could be capricious in his decision-making. He did not care much for Linda, whatever the reason, and seldom gave her worthwhile assignments. But she did have a following, and a new image at this time. The studio did exploit this very salable image. Ironically, Linda.faced a similar situation shortly before, during the filming of Preminger's FALLEN ANGEL, except it was Alice Faye who had good chunks of her scenes cut out, ostensibly to build Linda's role.

• Like 2

I assume this is mostly just the result of how the studio system treated any actress that wasn't a super star (e.g. a Davis, or Hepburn type).  Most contracts required the studio to pay an actor regardless of if they were in a film or not.    So why not use someone under contract as much as possible.

E.g. the same year,  1946 Linda had second female billing in My Darling Clementine (to Cathy Downs),   as well as Jeanne Crain in Centennial Summer.

Of course I'm sure studio politics also applied in the cast of Linda.   (e.g. why Ann Sheridan was given the minor role in Dodge City,  since Warner found her to be difficult,   or why DeHavilland was cast second to Davis in Essex to put her in her place after GWTW).     But how much only the studio bosses know and they aren't telling!

• Like 1

I assume this is mostly just the result of how the studio system treated any actress that wasn't a super star (e.g. a Davis, or Hepburn type). Most contracts required the studio to pay an actor regardless of if they were in a film or not. So why not use someone under contract as much as possible.

E.g. the same year, 1946 Linda had second female billing in My Darling Clementine (to Cathy Downs), as well as Jeanne Crain in Centennial Summer.

Of course I'm sure studio politics also applied in the cast of Linda. (e.g. why Ann Sheridan was given the minor role in Dodge City, since Warner found her to be difficult, or why DeHavilland was cast second to Davis in Essex to put her in her place after GWTW). But how much only the studio bosses know and they aren't telling!

Linda Darnell WAS billed second in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, but it was to Henry Fonda. Third billed was Victor Mature. Cathy Downs, new to the studio, was billed fourth, below the title.

Originally, Zanuck had wanted Crain for the part of Clementine Carter (played by Downs), but after her huge 1945 hit, STATE FAIR, he decided the role was not important enough for her; the interim LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN would be her last supporting role. So because of the hit SF, Zanuck gave bigger billing to Crain than Darnell, but their roles were about of equal size. Of course, the higher billed girl got the top-billed Cornel Wilde.

Who knows how it would have gone if another choice for Clementine, Anne ,Baxter as far as billing. But as another one to suffer Zanuck's whims, she would've probably gotten fourth billing, but above the title.

Linda Darnell WAS billed second in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, but it was to Henry Fonda. Third billed was Victor Mature. Cathy Downs, new to the studio, was billed fourth, below the title.

Originally, Zanuck had wanted Crain for the part of Clementine Carter (played by Downs), but after her huge 1945 hit, STATE FAIR, he decided the role was not important enough for her; the interim LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN would be her last supporting role. So because of the hit SF, Zanuck gave bigger billing to Crain than Darnell, but their roles were about of equal size. Of course, the higher billed girl got the top-billed Cornel Wilde.

Who knows how it would have gone if another choice for Clementine, Anne ,Baxter as far as billing. But as another one to suffer Zanuck's whims, she would've probably gotten fourth billing, but above the title.

Thanks for the clarity.   I forgot that Wiki doesn't list the actors in the order as shown on the actual credits.   IMDB does that better and I need to remember to use that when discussing who got what billing.

• Like 1

NO WAY OUT (1950), one of Linda Darnell's best movies, and containing some of her best acting, will be on TCM this Saturday evening, at 8 pm est. This is the slot usually reserved for the weekly Essential film. I don't know if the Essentials have started for the year, or if they play Essentials during this month, but this film would definitely qualify as one, imho. This racial drama is one of the best films of its kind, and is excellent in all categories: acting, directing and writing. Truly an essential.

If NWO is on this Saturday as an Essential, then this would be the third movie with Linda Darnell in it to be so spotlighted; the other two being A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), and ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946). Other films with her that could.be so designated could.include the swashbuckler THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), the bullfighter saga BLOOD AND SAND (1941), both with Tyrone Power and directed by Rouben Mammoulian, HANGOVER SQUARE (1944), with Laird Cregar's last performance, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946), John Ford's pure poetic western, and UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948), although not.generally considered Essential Preston Sturges. Some others not quite in the Essential.category (although I could make a case for them) could include SUMMER STORM (1944), the early Douglas Sirk melodrama that gave Linda a new sexy image as she played the first of her scheming social-climbing roles, or the Otto Preminger noirs FALLEN.ANGEL (1945), or THE THIRTEENTH LETTER (1951), Preminger's compromised epic, FOREVER AMBER (1947), or Robert Wise's.cavalry western, TWO FLAGS WEST (1950). These aren't better known (except maybe FALLEN ANGEL), mainly due to their rarity. But all could.be selected as representative Essentials, as much as some of the ones that have been honored.

• Like 2

NO WAY OUT (1950), one of Linda Darnell's best movies, and containing some of her best acting, will be on TCM this Saturday evening, at 8 pm est. This is the slot usually reserved for the weekly Essential film. I don't know if the Essentials have started for the year, or if they play Essentials during this month, but this film would definitely qualify as one, imho. This racial drama is one of the best films of its kind, and is excellent in all categories: acting, directing and writing. Truly an essential.

If NWO is on this Saturday as an Essential, then this would be the third movie with Linda Darnell in it to be so spotlighted; the other two being A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), and ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946). Other films with her that could.be so designated could.include the swashbuckler THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), the bullfighter saga BLOOD AND SAND (1941), both with Tyrone Power and directed by Rouben Mammoulian, HANGOVER SQUARE (1944), with Laird Cregar's last performance, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946), John Ford's pure poetic western, and UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948), although not.generally considered Essential Preston Sturges. Some others not quite in the Essential.category (although I could make a case for them) could include SUMMER STORM (1944), the early Douglas Sirk melodrama that gave Linda a new sexy image as she played the first of her scheming social-climbing roles, or the Otto Preminger noirs FALLEN.ANGEL (1945), or THE THIRTEENTH LETTER (1951), Preminger's compromised epic, FOREVER AMBER (1947), or Robert Wise's.cavalry western, TWO FLAGS WEST (1950). These aren't better known (except maybe FALLEN ANGEL), mainly due to their rarity. But all could.be selected as representative Essentials, as much as some of the ones that have been honored.

A.later,.left-field.entry in the Darnell filmography for selection.as.an.Essential, is 1957's aviation drama,.ZERO HOUR! This is the film.that would.later.be.the blueprint for AIRPLANE, which even used the identical dialogue for.some.scenes. The retroactive.camp quotient of.ZH is due to this, despite the game.cast.having played it straight.

A case for "Essential" status could also be made for these two Linda Darnell films:

"Blood and Sand" (1941)--Stunningly beautiful film stars Darnell, Tyrone Power, and Rita Hayworth as The Other Woman--I saw a good print of this in my teens.  If TCM would screen a Good print of this, it would be a present.

"Centennial Summer" (1946)--An enjoyable musical set during the Philadelphia Exposition of 1876.

A case for "Essential" status could also be made for these two Linda Darnell films:

"Blood and Sand" (1941)--Stunningly beautiful film stars Darnell, Tyrone Power, and Rita Hayworth as The Other Woman--I saw a good print of this in my teens.  If TCM would screen a Good print of this, it would be a present.

"Centennial Summer" (1946)--An enjoyable musical set during the Philadelphia Exposition of 1876.

I did mention BLOOD AND SAND, but not CENTENNIAL SUMMER. CS seems to be locked up in some rights issue, possibly related to the songs, since it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. It was on youtube a couple of years back, in like 11 installments.

• Like 1

I did mention BLOOD AND SAND, but not CENTENNIAL SUMMER. CS seems to be locked up in some rights issue, possibly related to the songs, since it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. It was on youtube a couple of years back, in like 11 installments.

CENTENNIAL SUMMER is now available in a 7 part installment on YT. The image isn't bad, but the sound gets outs of sync. I only looked at it a little but so i don't know if the sound issue is eventually corrected.

• Like 1

!

I miss that, from the "old days" of youtube, how you used to have to watch films in 15, 10 minute segments each.

It was almost like the Dickensian serials of old...

(Of course, every now and then, PART 8 would be missing. And I don't know why, but it always seemed to be part 8 that was missing...)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late notice,.but NO WAY OUT will.be on TCM later today, at.2 pm eastern time.

• 3 weeks later...

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow, Saturday, 12/19 at 10:30 est, and Sunday, 12/20 at 3:30 am est.

Although largely forgotten today, in its day this movie, and the racy bestseller it was based on, were quite well-known, even notorious. Some years later, there was a play on the title in an episode of I Love Lucy. This is the one where Lucy decided to write a novel, and changes the names of her husband and the Mertzes but slightly, and describes them rather negatively. She settled on the title "Real Gone With the Wind".Incensed, Ricky, Ethel and Fred find the copy she hid and burn it. Not knowing she made multiple copies, a triumphant Ethel says, "We changed the title from 'Real Gone With the Wind' to 'Forever Ember'". Of course, audiences of the day would have gotten the reference.

I Love Lucy was the number one show on TV because of its innovative techniques, great writing, and marvelous players. It is timeless, capturing succeeding generations in it's thrall, unlike say, Hazel, with it's dated lowbrow humor, despite its star.

FMC will be showing FOREVER AMBER three times in the next couple of days, tomorrow, 3/27 @ 3:30 am est, and 9:10 est, and also on Monday, 3/28 @ 7:40 am est.

Ok, so I finally broke down and purchased a film to stream from Amazon, BLACK SPURS (1965) As the only Movie with Linda Darnell for which they offer this service which I don't have, I have despaired that BS will ever be released on dvd. This movie was Darnell's first film in several years, and her last film. She .filmed it a few months before she died, and it was released posthumously May 1965.

This lowbudget western was one of A. C. Lyles economy features he did during the 1960s, featuring many old timers. This one is no exception; besides second billed Linda, there is top billed Rory Cahoun, Terry Moore, Scott Brady, Lon Chaney Jr.,.Bruce Cabot and Richard Arlen. The story has Linda as a saloon hostess, with not much too do; despite being billed lower, Terry Moore had a more substantial part. As for her looks,.she is definitely heavier than her last screen appearance, although it is not clear by how much. With the picture going from my laptop to my tv, it might suffer from the full.widescreen of anything on the laptop. She is more mature looking, but still.very attractive, and she looks good in most of her costumes. except for one, with a train or tail, which seems to emphasize her girth. However, as mentioned, it may be due to screen distortion. Overall, I am glad I made this purchase.

The EncoreWesterns channel will be BLACK SPURS, Linda Darnell's last film, three times in the next two days.

Tomorrow, Friday, 4/1 @ 4:05 am, and 5 pm;

Saturday, 4/2 @ 12:15 am.

It will also be shown a couple of times on 4/11.

Despite having purchased it from Amazon, I'm recording this; hopefully it won't come across as streaming. And that the color is as vivid as what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

The EncoreWesterns channel will be BLACK SPURS, Linda Darnell's last film, three times in the next two days.

Tomorrow, Friday, 4/1 @ 4:05 am, and 5 pm;

Saturday, 4/2 @ 12:15 am.

It will also be shown a couple of times on 4/11.

Despite having purchased it from Amazon, I'm recording this; hopefully it won't come across as streaming. And that the color is as vivid as what I have.

BLACK SPURS will be.on.again on EncoreWesterns, tomorrow Monday, 4/11 at 6:30 am and 6:35 pm.

So I watched one of the recent showings. It was identified as a premiere on the channel. The picture qualith was about the same.as.the streaming one I purchased.from.Amazon. Unfortunately, the picture has been panned and scanned (I think), so the heads of the players are often cropped. Guess I'll.stick to my streamed versoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Arturo, in case you you've never seen it, I found a 1956 TV drama with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard on You Tube, "Deception," an episode from 20th Century Fox Hour. From what I saw of it, the quality of the image is okay, if a little faded.

1fdd848d-02ed-4a21-bf66-65dd6f817141_zps

• 1 month later...

Arturo, in case you you've never seen it, I found a 1956 TV drama with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard on You Tube, "Deception," an episode from 20th Century Fox Hour. From what I saw of it, the quality of the image is okay, if a little faded.

1fdd848d-02ed-4a21-bf66-65dd6f817141_zps

Thanks Tom.  I had taped this when it was on the Fox Movie Channel, about a dozen years ago, and later transfered it to dvd.  The station featured the whole series, newly rediscovered and restored, and ran it as The 20th Century Fox Hour of Stars. Robert Wagner hosted this, and did wraparound comments. Wish the series could be released as a DVD set.

Most of the episodes were like condensed B film versions of some of their big hits.  I believe some were released theatrically in other countries.  The low-budget quality is apparent in the Darnell episode, "Deception", where there are rather jarring changes in light and continuity; not much care was taken to ensure proper lighting or in retakes.  

However, since you've pointed this out, I have seen (and downloaded) this episode from youtube.  While the picture may not be as crisp as the copy I have, it is darker overall, which somehow makes the abrupt changes in lighting less obvious.  This story is also one of the few that was not a remake; in fact, several years later, it did get made into a theatrical release, CIRCLE OF DECEPTION, which starred soon-to-be-married-couple Suzy Parker and Bradford Dillman.

Thanks again Tom.

Tonight, at 10 pm.est, TCM will show NO WAY OUT (1950), starring Linda Darnell, Richard Summary, Stephen McNally, and, making his film.debut, Sidney Poitier. Directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, this is a searing drama of racial strife, featuring excellent writing and acting. Widmark is a racist sociopathic hoodlum, who, convinced that intern Poitier intentionally killed his brother, foments a race riot. Darnell plays his ex-sister-in-law/girlfriend, who is unwittingly instrumental in starting the riot, and ending up saving Poitier from Widmark. A very good film dealing with racial tensions, something that still lingers in this country.

NWO was one of Linda's best films, and gave her one of her best acting opportunities. By contrast, on Tuesday, 1/26@ 8:40 am est, Fox Movie Channel will show Linda's most prominent film, the once controversial FOREVER AMBER (1947). Despite the overblown and hyped project falling short of expectations, this is a colorful sumptuous production, much better than its surviving reputation. However, Linda is not given much of an acting opportunity here, but is game as the blonde hussy climbing up social from.man to.man,.reaching the court of King Charles II as his mistress.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC (FXM Retro) tomorrow, Sunday 5/22, in the early hours of the morning, 3;30 AM est.

And NO WAY OUT will be on TCM this Monday, 5/23 @ 3 PM est.

Then, DAYTIME.WIFE (1939), on FMC this Wednesday, 5/25 @ 4;45 AM est, and again the following Wednesday, 6/1 @ 6 am est. In this, Darnell costars.with Tyrone Power for the first of four times, playing his wife in this enjoyable screwball comedy. She was not even 16 when she filmed this. 

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC (FXM Retro) tomorrow, Sunday 5/22, in the early hours of the morning, 3;30 AM est.

Then, DAYTIME.WIFE (1939), on FMC this Wednesday, 5/25 @ 4;45 AM est, and again the following Wednesday, 6/1 @ 6 am est. In this, Darnell costars.with Tyrone Power for the first of four times, playing his wife in this enjoyable screwball comedy. She was not even 16 when she filmed this.

Heads up,.and correction. NO WAY OUT, with Richard Widmark, Linda. Darnell, and.Sidney Poitier, will be on TCM this afternoon, as part.of a.Widmark.tribute. However, I mentioned it was on at 3 pm.Eastern, and that's.the time.here on the west coast. So it's.on at 6 pm Eastern.
  • 4 weeks later...

Tonight, TCM will.air ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM @ 1:45 am est.   Linda Darnell's role as the tragic Tuptim is rather small, but she looks great as this exotic concubine. Her burning at the stake was one of three times she actually got burned slightly while filming. This is where she developed her lifelong fear of fire, ironic in light of her actual death.

Again, sorry for the late notice, but for some reason, when I check my directv guide for her upcoming movies, this one never comes up.

Linda Darnell will be on TCM shortly this afternoon, @ 6:15 pm.eastern, in the fun swashbuckler BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE. This film has an over-the-top Robert Newton in his "Arrgh, aye mateys" portrayal of the title character. Linda is the damsel in distress, having not a whole lot to do but show cleavage, it seems. With Keith Andes as the leading man, and in support, the likes of William Bendix (another hammy performance), Irene Ryan, Richard Egan, and Torin Thatcher, among others. Saturday matinee stuff for your inner child.

Let's see what Tiffany has to say about this.

• Like 1

T.V. rates a C on the intro to "Blackbeard The Pirate" (1952)---Regardless of whether her "vocal fry' is an affectation, it's gotten worse.

She didn't Mention Linda Darnell.  

Did she Really have to start off her intro with mention of a Disney Ride?? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

FOREVER.AMBER will be on a couple of times this week on FMC, Tuesday, 11/24 @ 9:30.am est, and Wednesday, 11/25 @ 7:15 am est.

This film was based on the racy bestseller, and Fox quickly ran afoul of the Breen office, which basically suggested the story was unfilmable at that time. The studio cut out large chunks of the book, eliminating most of Amber's lovers and husbands, illigitimate.children and abortions. The sanitized script still met with disapproval, and after filming was done, the Production Seal was withheld without some.deletions. Even then, the.Catholic Legion of Decency condemned the film,.leading to more cuts, and a prologue and epilogue inserted.about the wages of sin.

Despite all this, the film.is still.quite good, with superb.work from.all.the departments. Unfortunately, due to the expensiveness of the production, and the condemnation and subsequent banning of it in certain areas, the film has the reputation of having flopped; however, it was a major moneymaker. It did receive mixed reviews, but is better than the impression they leave.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow morning,.Friday, 7/8 @ 9:10 am est; and Saturday, 7/9 @ 6 am est.

Also next week on FMC, Saturday, 7/16 @ 12:40 pm est, and Sunday, 7/17 @ 7:25 am.