Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow morning,.Friday, 7/8 @ 9:10 am est; and Saturday, 7/9 @ 6 am est.

Also next week on FMC, Saturday, 7/16 @ 12:40 pm est, and Sunday, 7/17 @ 7:25 am.

FOREVER AMBER.will be in FMC.tomorrow morning,.Saturday, 7/16 @ 12:40 pm est, and Sunday, 7/17 @ 7:25 am est.

Also next.week in Sunday, 7/24 @ 10:50 am est, and Monday,7/25 @ 3:30 am est.

• 1 month later...

FOREVER.AMBER will be on a couple of times this week on FMC, Tuesday, 11/24 @ 9:30.am est, and Wednesday, 11/25 @ 7:15 am est.

This film was based on the racy bestseller, and Fox quickly ran afoul of the Breen office, which basically suggested the story was unfilmable at that time. The studio cut out large chunks of the book, eliminating most of Amber's lovers and husbands, illigitimate.children and abortions. The sanitized script still met with disapproval, and after filming was done, the Production Seal was withheld without some.deletions. Even then, the.Catholic Legion of Decency condemned the film,.leading to more cuts, and a prologue and epilogue inserted.about the wages of sin.

Despite all this, the film.is still.quite good, with superb.work from.all.the departments. Unfortunately, due to the expensiveness of the production, and the condemnation and subsequent banning of it in certain areas, the film has the reputation of having flopped; however, it was a major moneymaker. It did receive mixed reviews, but is better than the impression they leave.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow morning, Sunday, 8/28 at 6 am est.

IN the next week or so, the following films with Linda Darnell will also be aired:

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), on Cinemax, on Sunday, 9/4 @ 7 am est.  This great swashbuckler is one of her best roles during her early ingenue phase; and

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), on FMC, on Monday, 9/5 @ 1;15 pm, and Tuesday, 9/6 @ 11;15 am.  This is perhaps her most acclaimed film.

s-l1600.jpg

Here is a picture of Linda Darnell I stumbled on in ebay.  She seems to be presenting an award to Gig Young.  Not sure when this occurred, but it appears to be somewhere from around 1952-55.

FOREVER AMBER will be on FMC tomorrow morning, Sunday, 8/28 at 6 am est.

IN the next week or so, the following films with Linda Darnell will also be aired:

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), on Cinemax, on Sunday, 9/4 @ 7 am est.  This great swashbuckler is one of her best roles during her early ingenue phase; and

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), on FMC, on Monday, 9/5 @ 1;15 pm, and Tuesday, 9/6 @ 11;15 am.  This is perhaps her most acclaimed film.

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES is starting right now, on FMC.  Sorry for the late reminder.  It will also air tomorrow, September 6 @ 11;15 am. 

It will also be on again on Thursday, 9/15 @ 9:15 am, and Friday, 9/16 @ 8 am. 

• 2 weeks later...

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), on Cinemax, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 3:05 am and 6:05 am.  Also Saturday, 9/24 @ 3 am.  This great swashbuckler is one of her best roles during her early ingenue phase; and

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), on FMC, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 9:15 am est, and Friday, 9/16 @ 8 am.  This is perhaps her most acclaimed film.

• 1 month later...

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), on Cinemax, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 3:05 am and 6:05 am. Also Saturday, 9/24 @ 3 am. This great swashbuckler is one of her best roles during her early ingenue phase; and

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), on FMC, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 9:15 am est, and Friday, 9/16 @ 8 am. This is perhaps her most acclaimed film.

Arrgh! So I totally forgot that it was Linda Darnell's 93rd birthday a couple of days ago (or it would've been had she not died in 1965). Well, within few hours, one of the best films she was on, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, will be on FMC @ 6 am est. It will also make a rare appearance on TCM in December.

Arrgh! So I totally forgot that it was Linda Darnell's 93rd birthday a couple of days ago (or it would've been had she not died in 1965). Well, within few hours, one of the best films she was on, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, will be on FMC @ 6 am est. It will also make a rare appearance on TCM in December.

Oh, I missed it.  I just love this movie, and her in it.   Thanks for mentioning the December showing, will try to remember.  Or maybe FMC will show it before then--their movies are certainly in very heavy rotation!

Whoops, got confused about the day--I see it's starting in a couple minutes on FXM.  Now to stay awake.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), on Cinemax, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 3:05 am and 6:05 am.  Also Saturday, 9/24 @ 3 am.  This great swashbuckler is one of her best roles during her early ingenue phase; and

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), on FMC, on Thursday, 9/15 @ 9:15 am est, and Friday, 9/16 @ 8 am.  This is perhaps her most acclaimed film.

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES will be on FMC tomorrow, Saturday, 11/26 @ 1:15 pm est, and Sunday, 11/27 @ 11:20 am.

THE MARK OF ZORRO will be on Cinemax on Sunday, 11/ 27 @ 6 am.

Linda Darnell brought charm and youthful beauty to her role as Lolita in The Mark of Zorro. A standard virginal role that could have been pure window dressing if played by any of a number of other actresses was made memorable by her, an often witty script and director Mamoulian at the helm.

The scene in which Lolita encounters Zorro, disguised as a  monk, in a church, is both romantic and highly amusing.

One more thing, not only were Darnell and Tyrone Power one of Hollywood's most beautiful screen pairings, they also had genuine chemistry.

Zorro-02.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tom, thanks for the comments. Linda Darnell, who was all of 16 when she filmed ZORRO, is was quite charming and amusing in TMOZ. I like the scene where she is presented to the foppish Diego, promised in marriage to him, and she recoils in disgust to his rather feminine mannerisms, not knowing it's a ruse so that he can continue to masquerade as Zorro. And later, when her aunt-in-law, Gale Sondegaard, who is infatuated with Diego, tells Lolita to not worry, that she won't be forced into a marriage with a man she finds repulsive. Great stuff.

This afternoon, Sunday, 12/11, Turner Classic Movies will have a rare showing of A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), at 5:45 pm eastern time. This film, one of the best that Linda Darnell was in, tells the story of three friends, each wondering if another woman ran off with her husband. Great cast, excellent writing and directing by Joseph Mankiewicz; which would be recognized as he would take the Oscar for both, as he would again the following year, for ALL ABOUT EVE.

ALTTW was on TCM a few times several years ago, including as an Essential in 2011, during Linda Darnell's SUTS showcase. I think it's been a while since TCM has shown it. December is a good month for it, as there are scenes at Christmas and New Year's Eve. It's a default holiday classic for me.

PS......this showing will be preceded by another rare Twentieth Century Fox film, 1943's WINTERTIME, starring the studio's ice skating phenomenon, Sonja Henie, here in her last film for Fox.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up Arturo! Letter is a great go to for me. I always see something new with each viewing. I had mentioned in a Jeanne Craine thread that her story resonates with me the most, as the "outsider" position is so poigant. But I do love the entire film, especially Kirk' performance.

• Like 2

Tom, thanks for the comments. Linda Darnell, who was all of 16 when she filmed ZORRO, is was quite charming and amusing in TMOZ. I like the scene where she is presented to the foppish Diego, promised in marriage to him, and she recoils in disgust to his rather feminine mannerisms, not knowing it's a ruse so that he can continue to masquerade as Zorro. And later, when her aunt-in-law, Gale Sondegaard, who is infatuated with Diego, tells Lolita to not worry, that she won't be forced into a marriage with a man she finds repulsive. Great stuff.

Arturo, I think the movies have only produced a handful of truly great swashbucklers and The Mark of Zorro ranks very highly for me in that very small list. While the film benefits from so many production aspects, the casting of leading lady is crucial when it comes to the difference between an okay to good film and a truly memorable one.

Linda Darnell as Lolita has always charmed me, not just because of her stunning beauty and the youthful innocence that she brought to the role, but for the differences of her subtle interplay with either the foppish Don Diego (to which you referenced in your comment) or dashing Zorro. Her screen chemistry with Tyrone Power, of course, is quite electrifying. What a blessing it was for all the actors involved to have such an often witty script, for a change.

This was the earliest Darnell performance that made me really sit up and take notice of her.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up Arturo! Letter is a great go to for me. I always see something new with each viewing. I had mentioned in a Jeanne Craine thread that her story resonates with me the most, as the "outsider" position is so poigant. But I do love the entire film, especially Kirk' performance.

Roy, in a sense all three wives are outsiders, which is the root of their insecurities. Ann Sothern is an outsider as the family's main breadwinner, at a time when this was still rare. Linda Darnell is also an outsider, coming from the wrong side of the tracks, working her assets to get an entry. But yes, Jean Crain is the classic outsider, a gauche farmgirl suddenly married to a rich, socially prominent "catch".

Arturo, I think the movies have only produced a handful of truly great swashbucklers and The Mark of Zorro ranks very highly for me in that very small list. While the film benefits from so many production aspects, the casting of leading lady is crucial when it comes to the difference between an okay to good film and a truly memorable one.

Linda Darnell as Lolita has always charmed me, not just because of her stunning beauty and the youthful innocence that she brought to the role, but for the differences of her subtle interplay with either the foppish Don Diego (to which you referenced in your comment) or dashing Zorro. Her screen chemistry with Tyrone Power, of course, is quite electrifying. What a blessing it was for all the actors involved to have such an often witty script, for a change.

This was the earliest Darnell performance that made me really sit up and take notice of her.

Tom, I agree about the merits of of TMOZ, and the chemistry between Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell. I have mentioned in the past that I think it's unfortunate that, despite four films together, they were never reteamed after Power came back from the war, when Linda had matured and in her femme fatale phase. Several attempts to costar them again fell through, for various reasons.
  • 4 weeks later...

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES will be on FMC tomorrow morning, Thursday, 1/12 @ 11:45 am est, and Friday, 1/13 @ 8 am est.

THE MARK OF ZORRO will be on the Cinemax family Friday, 1/13 @ 1:35 am, and also on $aturday, 1/21 @ 2:20 am, and Monday, 1/23 @ 2:25 am.

Additionally, on Thursday, 1/19 @ 11:26 am Starz Encore Westerns Channel, as part of its broadcast of the tv show Wagon Train, it will air an episode from 1958, from its first season, featuring Linda Darnell, "The Dora Gray Story". Her character has an cameo on the first season finale, "The Sacramento Story", which should air in a few weeks.

Tom, I agree about the merits of of TMOZ, and the chemistry between Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell. I have mentioned in the past that I think it's unfortunate that, despite four films together, they were never reteamed after Power came back from the war, when Linda had matured and in her femme fatale phase. Several attempts to costar them again fell through, for various reasons.

I agree, Arturo. When Darnell and Power were teamed in their four films together they both had the blossom of youth upon them. After the war both of them matured both physically and as actors. Think of the Power of Nightmare Alley and the Darnell of Fallen Angel, both electrifying as they played darker characters. It would have been fascinating to see them as jaded characters on screen together, in stark contrast to the innocence of their earlier days. It might have been a bit unsettling at the time for fans who still remembered Zorro.

I realize that Captain from Castile was the Power project for which Darnell was under consideration, not quite what I'm talking about. Still, I can't see Darnell not being effective in the role in which Jean Peters gave a quite adequate performance. Power had a chemistry with Darnell far more potent than anything he showed in that film with Peters.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, Arturo. When Darnell and Power were teamed in their four films together they both had the blossom of youth upon them. After the war both of them matured both physically and as actors. Think of the Power of Nightmare Alley and the Darnell of Fallen Angel, both electrifying as they played darker characters. It would have been fascinating to see them as jaded characters on screen together, in stark contrast to the innocence of their earlier days. It might have been a bit unsettling at the time for fans who still remembered Zorro.

I realize that Captain from Castile was the Power project for which Darnell was under consideration, not quite what I'm talking about. Still, I can't see Darnell not being effective in the role in which Jean Peters gave a quite adequate performance. Power had a chemistry with Darnell far more potent than anything he showed in that film with Peters.

Tom, I do think it's a shame that Power-Darnell were never teamed up after the war, when, as you say, they had matured in more ways than one. The studio did have several films they hopes to assign to the team, but for various reasons, it never happened.

As for the public not accepting them in this manner, I'm not sure it would've been such a shock. Power's first two postwar films, THE RAZOR'S EDGE and NIGHTMARE ALLEY, had him stretching as an actor and with his image, especially in the latter. While TRE was the studio's biggest moneymakers of 1946, and their second highest grosser until then, NA reputedly proved too much for Ty's fans, who preferred their matinee idol in more mindless fare.

Linda, otoh, had already transitioned from girl next door into her femme fatale phase. She could've easily played a seamy amoral character, and have the public accept her, because that was the type of roles she was getting by then. I could see her in either film mentioned, in any of the main female roles.

• Like 2

I realized yesterday that FALLEN ANGEL will be on TCM this Saturday night, as part of a block of Dana Andrews films. I became aware of it when LonaHanson started a thread here on these movies. For some reason, this rilm didn't come up on my Directv guide when lookong for her upcoming films. This also happens with at least two other films.she's in.

Anyway, I recommend FA, a decent film noir directed by Otto Preminger, shortly after LAURA put him on the map. Along with Andrews and Darnell, it stars Alice Faye, Fox's singing star. She retired from films after this, coming back once, in the early 60s.

Darnell, newly into her sexy femme fatale phase, catches the eye of Andrews, among others, which leads to serious repercussions. See the other thread for more discussion of this film.

• 2 months later...

So I realized some three days ago that Me-TV (Hollywood at least) has been showing episodes since earlier this year of "77 Sunset Strip" at 4 AM weekdays.  This is a show I have looked for, in the hopes of seeing/recording an episode from the second season.  "Sing Something Simple" guest-starred Linda Darnell, was first broadcast in November 1959, at a time when she was no longer getting viable movie offers; the last film she would do for several years had been released the previous year.  So her tv work is the reason for my interest, as the only source to see her in this period.

I actually have a boxset of the series' second season for this reason; however, I bought it online from an unknown source, and the Darnell episode is in bad condition, heavily washed out and distorted.  So I was happy to see that it is being shown.  Unfortunately, they are currently on Season 3, so hopefully, they will repeat the series after showing all 6 seasons.

Then I went online, and found the episode on Youtube, along with a few others uploaded earlier this month.  It was in decent condition, and quite a revelation, as it confirmed the impression from my atrocious copy, that Linda looked great.  She was still quite beautiful, although her face was fuller and waist was thicker; however, she was always full-figured, and this wasn't too different from her prime.  I focus on this because the going narrative on her career decline has always been that her heavy drinking had caused her looks to decline, starting to look matronly and bloated.  No matronly appearance here, although in stills and candid shots from this period, she may look this way, especially in profiles for some reason.  She could've still creditably done film work at time.  Soon however, her husband had her concentrate on a nightclub act, for the bigger bucks, to mixed results and no lasting career move.  As one of those stars  having financial hardship, she still didn't want to do anything to cheapen her name, and felt that the nightclub act did this.  She also chose to not do any of the horror exploitation films using older actresses, after the success of BABY JANE.

I enjoyed watching it on Youtube, the 77th viewer!, and a couple more times later that evening.  Alas, by the following day, it and the other episodes had been removed.  So, hopefully, Me TV will repeat the series.

• 4 months later...

It appears that TCM will have a rare Linda Darnell double-feature tomorrow evening, Sunday, Sept. 10, starting at 8 pm est, 5 pm pst.

First up, is BLOOD AND SAND (1941), the colorful tale of the rise and fall of a bullfighter, starring Tyrone Power as the bullfighter, Linda Darnell as his young bride, and Rita Hayworth as his fair-weather mistress. Directed by Rouben Mammoulian using an Oscar-winning color palette based on paintings from Old Spanish Masters, this leisurely tale also features many familiar faces, including Anthony Quinn, Lynn Bari and Laird Cregar. This was Darnell's last of four pairings with Power, but the film is best known as the role that skyrocketed Hayworth to top stardom as the 40s' Love Goddess, memorably playing the temptress, after being in many films, usually B's.

Up next @ 10:15 pm est, 7:15 pm pst, is BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE (1952) a merry swashbuckler with a hammy Robert Newton as the titular role. Also starring Linda, Keith Andes and William Bendix, and featuring Irene Ryan, Torin Thatcher and Richard Egan. Directed by Raoul Walsh, this was one of three films Darnell did at RKO over the next two years, around the time her contract with Fox was expiring. Her role was mostly decorative, as a damsel in distress, but studio boss (and earlier Darnell lover) Howard Hughes ensured to include her in low cut cleavage-exposing gowns.

Additionally, there are upcoming a couple of other films with Linda Darnell. On Sunday, 9/10 @ 9:50 am est, and again on Wednesday, 9/20 @ 10 am est, Fox Movie Channel will show A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949), the Oscar-winning film of three women trying to figure out with whose husband another woman has run off. Along with Darnell in one of her best roles, the film stars Jeanne Crain, Ann Sothern, Paul Douglas and Kirk Douglas, and memorably featuring Thelma Ritter and Connie Gilchrist and the voice of Celeste Holm. Well-acted, written and directed (by Joseph Mankiewicz).

Also, on Cinemas, on Wednesday, 9/13 @ 2:15am, will be. THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), a swashbuckler, which, like BLOOD AND SAND, costarred Power and Darnell, and directed by Mammoulian. This fun film had memorable support from the likes of Basil Rahtbone, Eugene Pallette, and Gale Sondgaard. Power and Darnell are appealing as they spar with each other, he as the foppish alter ego Don Diego she repulsed she'd have to marry him in an arranged marriage. Very good escapism film.

• Like 3

I am still not enthused at all by the fact that, while they wanted to add more magic classes, out of their huge FF library of magic classes.. they pick Scholar. What? While this time around with ARR I am actually interested in playing White Mage, Summoner and Black Mage... I can chalk Scholar up beside Bard and to a lesser extent, Warrior for jobs I likely wont even bother touching because they either a are boring to me and/or b look dumb as hell.

linda-darnell.jpg

Linda was certainly a vision in Blood and Sand - her first time in Technicolor, Arturo?

Unfortunately for Linda, so was Rita Hayworth and in a more interesting role.

It as actually her second Technicolor film in a row. She had been in CHAD HANNA (1940), with Henry Fonda and Dorothy Lamour. Here also she had the less-interesting female role. In both she played the nice girlfriend/wife, to the other woman's other woman. She was only 16 when she filmed CH, and 17 with BAS. Several years later she would change her image to play the femme fatale, and successfully gave her career a new lease of life.

• Like 2

It as actually her second Technicolor film in a row. She had been in CHAD HANNA (1940), with Henry Fonda and Dorothy Lamour. Here also she had the less-interesting female role. In both she played the nice girlfriend/wife, to the other woman's other woman. She was only 16 when she filmed CH, and 17 with BAS. Several years later she would change her image to play the femme fatale, and successfully gave her career a new lease of life.

We've discussed it before, Arturo, I know, but I still keep thinking it.

What I shame that the Linda Darnell of Fallen Angel was never cast opposite the Tyrone Power of Nightmare Alley in a dark, possibly even twisted, thriller. Say a sultry, bored Darnell that drives an eager, ambitious Power to murderous ends. With the right script and director (say Edmund Goulding, for example), they both had the dramatic chops to make it a memorable experience.

Makes the mouth water just thinking about it. But with Zanuck reluctant to have Power play anything other than a heroic role after Nightmare Alley (a property Power had to beg him to play) I guess it just couldn't happen.

linda_darnell.JPG