Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

Hibi, they are in voiceover by Cornel Wilde, as Amber is at the window, seeing him leave with their son.  Since I am at work right now, I checked with the TCM database for FA. In the Notes section, they mention the (rather extensive) prologue, as well as the epilogue.  They state the VHS video release omitted these.  I will check my blu-ray again, but I'm sure it doesn't have the prologue.  

Anyway the two lines heard are from dialogue earlier in The film.  The first is "Haven't we caused enough  unhappiness?"  The second line, after a pause, is "May God have mercy on us both for our sins".  The prologue is much longer (too long for me to type it while at work), and as with these last lines, shows the influence of the Catholic Legion of Decency, in order to remove the Condemned rating they had bestowed on it.

11 minutes ago, dagoldenage said:

Caught her recently in a cool episode of Screen Directors Playhouse from 1956

I caught her (Darnell) on an episode of Wagon Trail;  She still look beautiful but a little more 'full figured'.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:34 PM, dagoldenage said:

Caught her recently in a cool episode of Screen Directors Playhouse from 1956.  

The episode with Linda Darnell is called "White Corridors".  I have it recorded from a broadcast on TCM some 4-5 years ago.  Not sure if they still do it, but occasionally they would show some of the half-hour episodes of this series. 

Overall, this one is a good episode, with a fair amount of suspense.   Something in this episode's storyline must be missing, probably due to the short running time.  It is never explained why the guy who wants to kill her, for witnessing him kill a patient, has been impersonating a doctor at a London hospital, apparently successfully.  Would've been nice if it had been expanded to an hour long, with more detail and background added.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I caught her (Darnell) on an episode of Wagon Trail;  She still look beautiful but a little more 'full figured'.

"Wagon Train" plays on Me Tv; Linda Darnell was in a couple of episodes in the first season, "The Dora Gray Story" and the season finale "The Sacramento Story".  On that one she is part of a large group of guest stars, and only has one scene.  She plays the same character as on the first espisode.  Both were originally broadcast in 1958.  I have the first season on DVD, and on her first episode, it has a scene edited out of the one shown on Me Tv, with Linda bathing.  When shown on EncoreWesterns, it is unedited 

Linda Darnell looks great still, if, as you say, more full-figured.  It's interesting that she looks substantially different between the two, filmed a few months apart. I had thought this was due some weight gain, but it doesn't seem to be that.  More along the lines of a different hairstyle and different makeup, possibly rdflecting her better financial circumstances married to a rich man in the second episode, as opposed to considerably less so while on the frontier trail.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Arturo said:

The episode with Linda Darnell is called "White Corridors".  I have it recorded from a broadcast on TCM some 4-5 years ago.  Not sure if they still do it, but occasionally they would show some of the half-hour episodes of this series. 

Overall, this one is a good episode, with a fair amount of suspense.   Something in this episode's storyline must be missing, probably due to the short running time.  It is never explained why the guy who wants to kill her, for witnessing him kill a patient, has been impersonating a doctor at a London hospital, apparently successfully.  Would've been nice if it had been expanded to an hour long, with more detail and background added.

After reading this I found White Corridors on You Tube and quite enjoyed it. The first portion is quite intriguing and suspenseful though it all gets come to the rescue melodramatic in the wrapup. I have to admit, though, that I laughed out loud when, at the final resolution and with the fake doctor killer exposed, the real doctor says, "The pity of it is that he would have been a fine surgeon."

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 3:02 PM, Arturo said:

Tom, I think we've discussed that it was a shame the Power and Darnell were never re-teamed after he came back from the war, and when she was an adult woman; she was only 17 when they made the 4th and last film together.

CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE would've been interesting had Linda been able to do it.  It also would have been a worthy follow-up to FOREVER AMBER, in CFC as the sexy Catana in another Technicolor epic, flawed as it was.  Fox tried to reteam them a few more time over the next few years, but it never happened. 

Arturo, I saw Linda Darnell in THIS IS MY LOVE for the first time. With that title I mistakenly thought it was going to be a soaper. Well, there are elements of soap in it, I suppose, but it ends up as more of a neo noir.

In any event I thought that Darnell was quite impressive as the repressed waitress, living the life of a spinster, with her vivacious sister and that sister's bitter crippled husband in a wheelchair. Dan Duryea, whom I normally like, overdoes it a bit as the crippled brother-in-law (a lot of shrieking there) but Faith Domergue isn't bad as the sister. But it's Darnell that stands out. The scene with Duryea in which she finally lets loose all her anguish over her life is a highlight moment, and shows what a strong actress Linda could be. Soon she is plotting, like a deceptive noir villainess, and, again, Darnell is quite chillingly effective.

I feel that the little known THIS IS MY LOVE is one of Linda's better showcases as an actress.

MV5BYmM4ZDZkNmQtZmZkZC00Y2Y0LTgwMWEtNTJk

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Arturo, I saw Linda Darnell in THIS IS MY LOVE for the first time. With that time I mistakenly thought it was going to be a soaper. Well, there are elements of soap in it, I suppose, but it ends up as more of a neo noir.

In any event I thought that Darnell was quite impressive as the repressed waitress, living the life of a spinster, with her vivacious sister and that sister's bitter crippled husband in a wheelchair. Dan Duryea, whom I normally like, overdoes it a bit as the crippled brother-in-law (a lot of shrieking there) but Faith Domergue isn't bad as the sister. But it's Darnell that stands out. The scene with Duryea in which she finally lets loose all her anguish over her life is a highlight moment, and shows what a strong actress Linda could be. Soon she is plotting, like a deceptive noir villainess, and, again, Darnell is quite chillingly effective.

I feel that the little known THIS IS MY LOVE is one of Linda's better showcases as an actress.

MV5BYmM4ZDZkNmQtZmZkZC00Y2Y0LTgwMWEtNTJk

Tom, 

Thanks for the great write-up.  I basically agree with everything you say:  Duryea is a little over the top, Domergue is effective, but Linda is the stand-out.  Rick Jason is also good as the cad that leads Linda on.  The kids, Jerry Mathers and his real life sister are a little too annoying in their precociousness.  The humor can be wearying, if not downright racist. The melodrama does use a bit of heavy-handed symbolism, but overall is quite effective.  And Linda’s climactic Scene is worth it, as her years of suffering and torment are finally unleashed in one huge rush.

Too bad THIS IS MY LOVE was not a better-known or better-received film.  Linda made this as she was entering her third marriage.  Her husband, a NYC brewery magnate, didn’t want her to work, but to remain with him in New York as a trophy wife.  While it lasted less than 2 years, they were crucial ones during the mid-50s, as the studios downsized with the onslaught of tv.  Out of sight , out of mind.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Ok, with less than 3 years, I need to revive my campaign for Linda Darnell as SOTM, updated for her 100th birthday in 2023.   I decided on this upon stumbling on TCM’s schedule, with a showing of ZERO HOUR  tomorrow.  I will start with upcoming showings of several Darnell films in the next few days.

TCM:  TUESDAY, December 1, 2020,  @ 1:30pm est, 10:30 am pst.

ZERO HOUR (1957).  Low-budget programmer with Linda Darnell reteaming with Dana Andrews.  She plays estranged wife to his  PTSD -suffering WW2 fighter pilot, forced to fly a plane after pilot and copilot fall ill from life-endangering food poisoning.  Passengers also, including Linda and Dana’s son.  Was spoofed, with many scenes using the exact dialogue, in AIRPLANE.   Based on a Canadian teleplay., Linda has little to do in one of her last films.

TCM:  Friday m, December 4 @ 2:15 am est,  Thursday, December 3 @ 11:15 pm pst.

NO WAY OUT (1950):  Harrowing racial drama with tensions resulting in a race riot.  Linda plays an unwitting conduit to the riot, Richard Widmark her racist sociopathic brother-in-law, and Sidney Poitier as the doctor who patches him up.  Perhaps Darnell’s best acting, certainly one of very best films she was in.  Directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, which whom she was having a love affair.  

FMC: FRIDAY, December 4 - 7:30am est, 4:30 am pst.

ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946):  Linda plays exotic concubine Tuptin, in a much curtailed role, in the first filming of the classic tale.  Long but colorful, although in black and white, this comedy drama (sans songs) top-billed Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison.

FMC: Friday December 4 @ 11:25 am est, 8:25 am pst.  And Saturday, December 5 @ 6am est, 3 am pst.

UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948):  Preston Sturges  black comedy, with Rex Harrison as musical conductor, fantasizing as he conducts various ways he can kill young wife Linda, whom he suspects of adultery.   Ahead of it’s time, it did poorly due to the subject matter uncomfortably close to a scandal involving Harrison, when paramour Carole Landis committed suicide over despondency that he wouldn’t get a divorce to marry her.  Interesting nonetheless.  

FMC: Sunday, December 13, 8:50 am est, 5:50am pst.

FOREVER AMBER (1947):  Flawed if colorful epic, crippled due to censorship issues, and changing director, cast and scripts.  Darnell’s biggest film, its mixed reception did not lead to her expected superstardom, despite being the year’s biggest grosser.

• Like 3

Good to see you back in General Discussions, Arturo. The talented, beautiful Miss Darnell, whose life and career deserved more breaks than it got, still needs her biggest supporter.

linda-darnell-2.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Good to see you back in General Discussions, Arturo. The talented, beautiful Miss Darnell, whose life and career deserved more breaks than it got, still needs her biggest supporter.

linda-darnell-2.jpg

When did Linda go blondish? Was this for a movie role?

32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Is that blonde hair or is it just the lighting? In any event, Arturo is the authority around here on all things Linda.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Linda Darnell had her hair dyed a reddish blonde for the role of Amber.  It was done gradually before the start of filming, and milked for its publicity value.  There are stills of Linda in fittings trying out some of the elaborate costumes, where her hair is still its normal brunette color.  Once she had the new color, she didn’t really care for it, despite the likes of Louella Parsons opining that the new look made Darnell suddenly more “interesting” somehow.   She was required to have it that color through the premiere of the film,  not only in the US, but also in England and France.  In fact, that posted photo I believe is a news syndicate pic of Linda at the Paris airport, promoting FOREVER AMBER.

Due to the time it took for this promotional tour to actually transpire, at least 8 months after the end of filming and retakes, Linda had filmed another movie with the lighter hair color, THE WALLS OF JERICHO (1948).  This turn of the (last) century melodrama reteamed Linda with her FOREVER AMBER costar,  Cornel Wilde.  Ironically, it was filmed by the first director of FA, John M. Stahl.  And as in the earlier film, Linda obsesses over Cornel, who is married to Insecure bitter dipsomaniac Ann Dvorak.  Wilde won’t go for it since Darnell is married for his friend Kirk Douglas, but he does go for lawyer Anne Baxter.  A spurned Linda has her newspaper editor husband run unflattering stories against aspiring politician Wilde, as she riles up his wife with news of his affair with Baxter.  Interesting melodrama with a good cast.

• Like 1
So I remember this pic Tom posted a few years back, a still from the set of THE WALLS OF JERICHO, with Linda still sporting the lighter hair color.  I pasted the post here, but the pic is now a link.  You can see the pic in the original post on Page 30 of this thread.

On 12/14/2015 at 1:31 AM, TomJH said: 

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/tomboy38/tomboy38148/walls%20of%20jericho-set_zps4prnsmqn.jpg

I found this shot of Linda on the set of The Walls of Jericho that I thought might interest you, Arturo, in case you hadn't seen it before. Looks like Kirk's helping out her hair stylist.

Then, again, maybe he's just saying, "Is that a grey hair?" ;)

10 hours ago, Arturo said:

Linda Darnell had her hair dyed a reddish blonde for the role of Amber.  It was done gradually before the start of filming, and milked for its publicity value.  There are stills of Linda in fittings trying out some of the elaborate costumes, where her hair is still its normal brunette color.  Once she had the new color, she didn’t really care for it, despite the likes of Louella Parsons opining that the new look made Darnell suddenly more “interesting” somehow.   She was required to have it that color through the premiere of the film,  not only in the US, but also in England and France.  In fact, that posted photo I believe is a news syndicate pic of Linda at the Paris airport, promoting FOREVER AMBER.

Due to the time it took for this promotional tour to actually transpire, at least 8 months after the end of filming and retakes, Linda had filmed another movie with the lighter hair color, THE WALLS OF JERICHO (1948).  This turn of the (last) century melodrama reteamed Linda with her FOREVER AMBER costar,  Cornel Wilde.  Ironically, it was filmed by the first director of FA, John M. Stahl.  And as in the earlier film, Linda obsesses over Cornel, who is married to Insecure bitter dipsomaniac Ann Dvorak.  Wilde won’t go for it since Darnell is married for his friend Kirk Douglas, but he does go for lawyer Anne Baxter.  A spurned Linda has her newspaper editor husband run unflattering stories against aspiring politician Wilde, as she riles up his wife with news of his affair with Baxter.  Interesting melodrama with a good cast.

Thanks. I wondered. I finally caught Amber about a year or two ago, but can't remember Linda's hair in it. Have never seen Walls of Jericho, does it pop up on the Fox Channel?

57 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks. I wondered. I finally caught Amber about a year or two ago, but can't remember Linda's hair in it. Have never seen Walls of Jericho, does it pop up on the Fox Channel?

I have not seen TWOJ on the Fox Movie Channel, at least not in this century.  I found it some years ago online, a clean version apparently released in Spain only.  I can only play it on my computer, since I don’t have an all-regions DVD player.  At least two other Darnell films also had a similar release there only, in 2009.  It appears that they were readied for general release everywhere, when Fox cancelled  general releasing dvds of their classic films.  

THE WALLS  OF JERICHO would be only one Darnell film that would  make a great TCM premiere for Linda Darnell’s SOTM, imho.

10 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I have not seen TWOJ on the Fox Movie Channel, at least not in this century.  I found it some years ago online, a clean version apparently released in Spain only.  I can only play it on my computer, since I don’t have an all-regions DVD player.  At least two other Darnell films also had a similar release there only, in 2009.  It appears that they were readied for general release everywhere, when Fox cancelled  general releasing dvds of their classic films.  

THE WALLS  OF JERICHO would be only one Darnell film that would  make a great TCM premiere for Linda Darnell’s SOTM, imho.

What is gratifying about THE WALLS OF JERICHO for Darnell fans is that it gave the actress the opportunity to play a manipulative schemer.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Too bad! I'd never heard of this film, despite the stars involved.