Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAVE BRUBECK HAS DIED

Hibi

I just played "Blue Rondo A La Turk" out of respect and may later revisit that TCM special that was produced by Clint Eastwood. My only displeasure with the show was that you only get to hear snippets of pieces and sometimes that gets to be an annoying tease.

It is sad to hear this, although he had a full life and lived to a ripe old age -91. Well, 92, really, he died just one day shy of his 92nd birthday ! Dave, too bad you couldn't hold off till tomorrow.

He made some great jazz music. His work is especially notable for its interesting and complex rhythms and unusual time signatures. Plus some fine memorable tunes ( everyone knows, whether or not they realize it's by Dave Brubeck, "Take Five" and "Unsquare Dance".)

Oh how I love Dave. How i will miss him. How brilliant he was. How glad I am that I saw one of the top 5 greats of all time at the Hollywood Bowl while I had the chance. He's one of my all time favorites -- #1 perhaps. Oh Dave, this makes me sad, but your music makes me glad.

My local jazz station KJZZ is playing his stuff tonight at 6 PT and I'll be listening in.

Here's Dave playing his greatest hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Dec 5, 2012 7:37 PM

Yes, Brubeck was one of the key jazz artist of his generation (or any generation really).

To honor him, I'll ensure that we play more of his tunes when I have my weekly jazz jam this Thursday. But I better go and practice because many of his songs are not easy to play for the reasons you state.

I caught this news on another forum I belong to this morning. Very sad indeed. And I mentioned that just a couple of days ago, I found a digitally remastered re-issue of "Time Out" at a thrift store for 80 cents!

And it sounds GREAT!

Thank you, Dave.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings