Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

La Promesse--did anyone like it?

skimpole

Did anyone see La Promesse last night, or aguably this morning. Could those who did like it make a big fuss about it so TCM could show it again. We canadians didn't get to see it all. Instead there was an apparently crude British farce from the late sixties. (It was called The Best house in London and explains why Vanessa Redgrave had a bigger career than David Hemmings.)

Also we didn't get to see Brighton Rock last week. Instead we got The Human Factor which is a good movie, but I haven't seen Brighton Rock. Even more annoyingly Americans get to see Grand Illusion on the beginning of Christmas Eve, and we get some Mexican movie. We couldn't get another Renoir?

It probably wouldn't help much as it sounds like there must be a rights issues for Canada. Why? I dunno. And Grand Illusion is particularly odd because that is available on video up there, owned and distributed globally by StudioCanal (how often does this happen to French language films on TCM in Canada? Could be some other channel has a contract to show those films.)

La Promesse is superb, from a topical standpoint (the condition and treatment of illegal immigrants) but also for how it depicts the varying influences and dependencies of its central adolescent character. I find shaky-cam realism cheap in most cases but here it's quite effective - straightforward and matter-of-fact in a way most of these types of films fail to achieve (very on the nose editing makes it work.)

I have it on my DVR, and am looking forward to seeing it. I am disappointed that it was cropped to 1.85:1, instead of being shown in its OAR of 1.66:1. I also wish that TCM has listed it as being letterboxed, because if they had, I would have recorded it from TCMHD, and not need to zoom it, to fill the screen.

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}It probably wouldn't help much as it sounds like there must be a rights issues for Canada. Why? I dunno. And Grand Illusion is particularly odd because that is available on video up there, owned and distributed globally by StudioCanal (how often does this happen to French language films on TCM in Canada? Could be some other channel has a contract to show those films.)

I think "La Promesse" has been aired by TFO in the past. They aired another film by the Dardennes, "Le Fils" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_fils), at the end of October 2012.

Renoir's "La Grande Illusion" was aired by TFO on October 4.

TFO also aired the companion piece to "Grand Illusion," "Le Caporal épinglé" on November 15.

TFO actually aired 9 films by Renoir during October and November as part of a tribute to that director.

TFO is a French-language channel so all the French-language films are aired without

English-subtitles, as they are meant to be seen. The channel is also commercial-free.

Their programming guide for October 2012 to the end of January 2013 is here:

http://tfo.org/PDF/CineTFO/passeportCinema.pdf

There are many French-language channels in Canada. Most are in Quebec, but in Ontario we have access to TFO, the CBC/Radio Canada channel from Montreal and others depending on your cable TV and/or satellite provider.

Of course, if you don't understand French, and need English subtitles, it might not help that a film like "La Grande Illusion" is on TFO without the English-subtitles. In that case, you need TCM, I guess.

I don't mind English-subtitles, but when you understand the language the film was originally made in, they are like commercials in that they are distracting. Sorta like having TV commercials running across the bottom of the screen, and goodness knows where else subtitles end up on the screen, for the entire movie...

Anyway, many foreign language films, and other films, not aired on TCM in Canada are often available on other TV channels, if you look...

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote} Even more annoyingly Americans get to see Grand Illusion on the beginning of Christmas Eve, and we get some Mexican movie. We couldn't get another Renoir?

"La Grande Illusion" was aired on TFO in Ontario in October. That channel also aired nine different films by Renoir during October and November as part of a tribute to the director.

But TFO is a French-language channel, so the French films are aired without English-subtitles, the way they are meant to be seen, so if you don't understand French, I guess you need TCM...

If that's the case, all you can do is make suggestions to TCM using the "Suggest a Movie" feature under "Fan Community."

I have no idea how the film rights business works. If TFO has the rights to air a film, if that then means TCM can't air it in Canada, for example?? If TFO airs the original French version without subtitles, I don't know why TCM can't air a version with English-subtitles??? Maybe that doesn't matter?? I have no idea??

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings