Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Art Forgery

sfpcc1

I just saw a preview of a film called Fake about art forgery. This got me thinking about other movies about that subject. The only one I could recall was 1988 the Moderns with Keith Carridine. Can anyone other remember another film about fake art, (maybe a heist film?)

*How to Steal a Million* (1966) is about the need to steal a statue from a museum before it is authenticated because it is fake. It is of great importance because it being exposed as a forgery will bring the family's entire collection into question and all of the very best works in it are forgeries.

*Gambit* (1966) is about stealing a bust but not actually stealing it. The goal is to have it reported stolen so that they can sell fakes of it.

I am surprised that there has been no movie made of Petra Kujau. She was convicted of selling forged forgeries. Her uncle was Konrad Kujau and he was a forger who became so well known that collectors of forgeries paid well for his works. Petra Kujau began forging his name onto paintings by others after his death.

Stewart Granger in THE LIGHT TOUCH is involved in a forgery caper.

In the Granada adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes story "The Final Problem" we find Moriarty behind the theft of the Mona Lisa, a cime committed so that he can sell forgeries to amass capital. After all, even if some rich collector discovers it's fake, he can't go to the cops to complain since he thought he was buying stolen property.

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}

>I just saw a preview of a film called Fake about art forgery.

I think the film you mean is called *F for Fake*, directed by Orson Welles. It is a favorite of mine.

Clifford Irving is mentioned in the Welles film, and there is a film about his fake Howard Hughes autobio. I haven't seen it. It is called *The Hoax*.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462338/

I've seen F Is For Fake. That was made in the 70's and looks like it. Fake is another movie all together. It was a preview on a Netflix DVD on a film called High Road. Both Fake and the High Road were made in the last couple of years.

I've seen the Hoax. I wouldn't count it because a bio is not a piece of art, (maybe a piece of literature.) I'm sorry if I come of like a smart a**.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings