Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

it's gun-STUPID

yazman

I am the type of person that will give any film every last chance to have a likability factor,but 'Gun Crazy' was the most ignorant series of crimes I have ever seen.What Leonard Malton and other reviewers think is good I have no clue, I was waiting for martians to appear in the swamp at the end!!

I once had a friend who found out I was very big on "Double Indemnity," so he recommended "Gun Crazy." This was a few years ago and I don't think I even finished watching it. I never went back and asked him how he could put both films in the same sentence. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

> {quote:title=yazman wrote:}{quote}I am the type of person that will give any film every last chance to have a likability factor,but 'Gun Crazy' was the most ignorant series of crimes I have ever seen...

What exactly do you mean, "ignorant" ? It seems not the most apt choice of words.

meaning of 'ignorant' is shooting the secretary in the payroll office after she has already sounded the alarm. 'ignorant' istearing the telephone wires out and locking children up in garage while your friends just talked to and are 20 ft. away as you take off. the list go's on and on!

Yes, Annie did a lot of ignorant things in the movie but these actions were intentional in the movie as a way to revel her character (i.e. done intentionally by the script writer and director) . Annie wasn't a professional bank robber or practiced criminal. The reason for shooting the women is very clear and key to Annie's mindset; she killed that 'B' to get back at her for sounding the alarm. The use of a gun by Annie to even the score was just like us putting sugar in our coffee. That action finally woke up Bart, a person, that while he loved guns, didn't love killing (unlike Annie). The scene is similar to the one in Out of the Past where Kathy shoots Jeff's former partner. A wake up call for Jeff.

I believe one thing that had me confused was the reviews I read telling of how great the movie was.Iunderstand that lots of similar situations pop up many times in film, it just seemed to me the film was a little overloaded with crazyness.I like a good murder and high action but the violence didn't seem to me to have any coherent social statement, Like so many movies made now days.For the most part I don't watch any thing with a cell phone in it, unless it's Eastwood,Spielberg,etc...and what's with 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE' nowhere on cable, was on local tv with a commercial every ten minutes?????

The first time I saw It's A Wonderful Life was in the mid 1980's. It was on a Saturday night on the local PBS station. Then, for a while, it was on everywhere. If I remember correctly, the people who owned the distributorship of the movie, decided to control it more and leased it to NBC (only) a number of years ago. That is why you don't see it on any cable channels right now. Of course, that could change when NBC's lease runs out. By the way, NBC usually shows it again on Christmas Eve. I assume that will happen again this year.

The movie wasn't trying to have an overall social statement but instead was more about the what was going on internally with the two characters especially Bart (which is why the film starts with Bart's childhood, his love of guns for the purpose of shooting objects but NOT living creatures).

Annie and him have this love of guns in common but because Annie is psychologically damaged the use of a gun to kill isn't something she objects to but something that actually gives her pleasure. As their relationship grows Bart starts to see the real Annie and it scares him but at the same time he is too sexually attracted to her to end the relationship.

It is this relationship of sex and violence that is the heart of this movie and one I find interesting.

> {quote:title=yazman wrote:}{quote}meaning of 'ignorant' is shooting the secretary in the payroll office after she has already sounded the alarm. 'ignorant' istearing the telephone wires out and locking children up in garage while your friends just talked to and are 20 ft. away as you take off. the list go's on and on!

Ignorant, stupid, brutally violent, evil - yes, all of those things. But also realistic, and sadly, even more true-to-life today than it was then.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings