Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buy the DVD

TopBilled

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}

> TCM aired 12 feature films today. Nine of them are available on DVD at the TCM Shop.

I believe that means that one-fourth of the movies they are presenting are not available on DVD. This is an amazingly high rate as I believe most movies are released onto DVD as soon as they are converted to digital.

I know of no other channel which airs movies which are not available on DVD except premium channels which might air movies prior to the DVD release.

I feel that TCM is doing a great service by not allowing whether a movie in available on DVD to affect their decision to schedule it. They would have a 100% record like all other channels if they scheduled movies only as a way to promote DVD sales.

You are probably speaking prematurely. I am sure we will have some days where all feature films airing on TCM are on DVD. I will be doing this each day, so check back to see.

Also, in the case of SO BIG, it can function as advertising for the eventual home video release (which I am sure they are hoping will happen at some point). Plus, if Viewer X sees Barbara Stanwyck or George Brent in SO BIG, but is unable to buy that title, it may still cause them to go to the TCM Shop and look for related titles or other films featuring these artists.

For the most part, TCM is scheduling movies to stimulate DVD sales and the purchasing of other lifestyle accessories the Channel is selling currently or plans to sell in the future.

OK, then, let's take it to the other logical conclusion: destroy all DVDs so that TCM can show whatever it wants without fear of anybody suggesting TCM is only showing it to sell DVDs.

Besides, people should only be allowed to watch things when the copyright holders say so. DVRing and selling copies of the movies is evil evil evil.

They should get rid of individual copies of books, too, and only stream video of the text, so that people can only read the books when the copyright holders say so.

Hmm, let's see...

TCM - On the air for 18 years

DVDs - Available since 1997. Since 2009, Warner Archive has issued some 1,500 titles on DVD, with other studios doing the same to a lesser degree...

"My lord, how shocking it is that TCM shows a lot of movies that are actually on DVD! It can't possibly be that, as time passes, more movies simply show up on DVD! That doesn't make any sense! No, that would be silly!"

"Oh, forfend it all for the end is nigh!"

Whinge, whinge, whinge...

The moral of the story is to make sure to record any movie you like that isn't available on DVD, just in case some genius decides to begin scheduling only DVD-available movies at some point down the road. This is especially true for low demand movies that may never show again and are not likely to be released on DVD. I trust TCM's integrity in scheduling, but as a prominent former B-movie actor might have put it, "Trust, but record."

Top Billed -

Another thing struck me yesterday when I was watching "Classic Movie News" or whatever that little hollow featurette is called. It was all about selling. No news. What about books that might have come out ("The Entertainer," anyone?) or news about SOMETHING related to classic movies. But, sadly, no. Just another way to shill...

>The moral of the story is to make sure to record any movie you like that isn't available on DVD, just in case some genius decides to begin scheduling only DVD-available movies at some point down the road.

I think the goal is to make them all DVD-available before DVDs give way to On Demand and other types of instant digital streaming.

Jonas,

You may want to go and create your own thread extolling the virtues of TCM pushing DVDs. Instead of making statements for the defense in these threads, which often border on snark and rudeness.

I want to be very clear that no amount of intimidation will ever prevent these kinds of threads that examine the trends of the TCM marketing department. These forums function to garner feedback about the Channel and its practices. This is my version of feedback, and I believe it can be done proactively and constructively.

I have decided that this will become a daily record of DVD tie-ins regarding TCM's on air schedule. It may get very repetitive for you to keep defending TCM's DVD sales, but if that is what you plan to do, then it will probably alienate others who will begin to read your tactics as a form of censorship and some weird kind of worship of TCM.

>And don't forget that the Warner Archives has a one year moratorium on their DVD releases before they can air on TCM.

Yes. And don't forget that the programmers know what the upcoming releases are and can schedule something several times before it is released on DVD. Then twelve months later it is back in rotation, while the DVDs are still available in the TCM Shop.

>Another thing struck me yesterday when I was watching "Classic Movie News" or whatever that little hollow featurette is called. It was all about selling. No news. What about books that might have come out ("The Entertainer," anyone?) or news about SOMETHING related to classic movies. But, sadly, no. Just another way to shill...

Thanks for posting this. I am sure others who are afraid that TCM's reputation is being besmirched will come on to the thread and take issue with some of your points. I happen to think you're right. They do not seem to be pushing books as much as they are pushing DVDs, though there still are some new books offered.

I completely agree that TCM's idea of 'Classic Movie News' is more along the line of promoting new products and services (translation: marketing).

The Universal film festival in Palo Alto that was described in a Deanna Durbin thread on the Hot Topics forum is real, authentic Classic Movie News in my opinion.

>Topbilled, are you implying that TCM is in it to "make money??!!! I'm shocked, shocked!

Lydecker,

I do not care how much money TCM makes. (I do think it is vulgar when a TCM host posts his annual salary on his myspace profile, but that is another story, and I hope he no longer does that.)

The goal is to remind viewers that they are not obligated to buy these DVDs, Christmas tree ornaments and lifestyle accessories in order to be true classic film fans. Paying one's cable bill is adequate compensation for a month's pleasure of overplayed Tony Curtis movies and NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

Also, were viewers of the old AMC enticed to go on cruises or attend festivals sponsored by the channel? I do not think there was such a sophisticated marketing division at AMC, was there?

I think some of the old time stars, like Hedy Lamarr (who sued when her name was parodied in a Mel Brooks film) would have been shocked to find out their films and likenesses are used by a cable channel in 2012 to sell products that nobody had even heard of when they reported to the MGM lot all those years ago to film scenes. In my opinion, it has gone too far, and it takes away from the integrity of the classic motion picture viewing experience.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings