Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Record Holder for Tying the Knot?

dpompper

Just a silly curiosity . . . Which star holds the record for the greatest number of marriages? (yes, including the same person)

Just thought of this because I was curious about the spelling of Claude Rains' name and looked him up on NNDB. Who knew he was married SIX times?

Surely there's someone else with a greater number . . . but who?

*Dinah Washington - 7*

And, sadly, she died at age 39!

Quite a gal.

And IMO along with Billie and Sarah she was the greatest female vocalist of all time. Nobody ever had a voice quite like "The Queen of the Blues".

I remember the day she died, but what I mostly remember about it was that at the time she was married to one of my favorite football players, future Hall of Famer Dick "Night Train" Lane. Back then all I knew Dinah from was a pop hit or two, and it wasn't until much later that I discovered her earlier recordings and was totally blown away.

[Time After Time|https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68c7IsEeCs]

Artie was Lana's first husband. She was his third wife. The marriage lasted four months.

Then came Stephen Crane, who neglected to tell her he was still legally married, and whom she divorced quickly, but remarried when she found she was pregnant and he'd gotten his final decree, and then divorced again after their daughter Cheryl was born.

Then came Bob Topping, and after him Lex Barker, who Cheryl said raped her for years, and whom Lana threw out and divorced when she found out about it. Cheryl told her grandmother, who told Lana, and Lex was history twenty minutes later.

Then came Fred May and Robert Eaton, businessmen who didn't last long.

Then she married a would-be showman hypnotist, Ronald Dante, who embezzled from her and tried to get another hypnotist with a show in San Diego murdered so he'd be tops in the field. He was her last husband. He took off with $50,000 of her money and continued his nefarious lifestyle. At the time she said, "I'm so G-D gullible." I had to agree with her.

After all the husbands came Johnny Stompanato, who was a gangster friend of Mickey Cohen and a bully, and who threatened to carve her up because she wouldn't give him the recognition he wanted in Hollywood as boyfriend of a big star. He wanted to go to the Oscars with her and she said no. Cheryl came in the bedroom with a kitchen knife and stabbed him to death when she heard the threats, according to most reports, including Cheryl's memoir.

Well a bit of tie-ins here. Artie Shaw married Lana Turner, and later Ava Gardner, who was married to Mickey Rooney. I'm sure if thefull picture of Hollywood' musical beds was knwn, **** would bogle the mind.

I agree. Artie didn't stay married long to Ava; he was doing his usual domination act and she wouldn't sit still for it.

I read Evelyn Keyes' book about their marriage and I'm surprised she didn't murder him in cold blood. I would have. The topper for me was that when he was "educating" her in how to please him (the rationale was that if he was happy in all things, then she would be happy), he told her she had to arrange the cigarettes in the box so that the correct end was facing him when he opened the lid.

No jury in the world would have convicted her if she'd done him in.

Edited by: Dothery on Dec 9, 2012 12:58 AM

>I read Evelyn Keyes' book about their marriage... The topper for me was that when he was "educating" her in how to please him (the rationale was that if he was happy in all things, then she would be happy)

Whoaboy, I was with one of those for 6 years. Without a strong support system you believe their rationale & try harder. Thank goodness I finally saw through the jerk and left him to the next flunky.

You would think these women would have enough financial independence to just leave, but too often these spoiled mamas boys drain their hard earned money along with their self-confidence.

This is the theme of too many (women) star auto/biographies: Debbie Reynolds, Ann Margaret, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe....the list goes on.

>and I'm surprised she didn't murder him in cold blood. I would have.

Then you become the criminal.

My best revenge is that the moment I forged it alone, my career took off. I have a much more secure, happy life now and he's still stuck in his angry existence.

Glad a few of our stars made it out in one piece too. Debbie Reynolds is my hero because of her pluck & perseverance. And SHE had media reporting on her every move throughout.

Isn't it sad, TikiSoo? By the way, note that there are these types even on this board today. They think - sad little boys that they are - that calling strong independent women 'feminists' is an insult.

Isn't it hilarious??????? :):):):):)

Good that you got out. Thanks to a mother who didn't, I never got in! I hope young females today everywhere - well at least in the countries where they aren't beheaded for their independence - learn from the lessons of the doormats of the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, and reap the benefits of women like you and others who learned the lesson firsthand.

Rock on, sistah. ;)

I think Zsa Zsa Gabor is the record holder at nine marriages.

If you are talking celebrities and not just stars then:

"Kid McCoy, real name of Norman Selby (1873-1940), was a world championship boxer of the late 19th and early 20th century. He was only married to 8 women, but was married a total of 10 times."

I guess technically, Selby was a star since he appeared in 19 films. "Loose Ankles", which is on TCM in January, is his most recent surviving film. imdb tells a different story. They list nine marriages to nine women and claim he killed a tenth woman before he could marry her. He served seven years in prison for manslaughter because of this.

However, this business isn't limited to celebrities. I grew up in Texas, and a guy with whom I went to high school said that his grandmother had hit "the legal limit" in Texas, which in the 1970's was seven times. To marry again she would have to do so in another state - even though the marriage would have been recognized in Texas once she returned. The law has since been changed, but it was kind of an odd artifact of Texas' pioneer days.

My best revenge is that the moment I forged it alone, my career took off. I have a much more secure, happy life now and he's still stuck in his angry existence.

Good for you, TikiSoo. It's best to go it alone when you have a boss instead of a husband.

I hadn't heard about Ann Margaret. Did she have a bad experience with her husband?

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> I was with one of those for 6 years.

That is a sad thing. It would have been very easy for that to be my history also. My first marriage was a result of lust and practicality. He was very handsome and daring. His mother deemed me acceptable and so told him to marry me. I believe it was not a true marriage because we shared little. I was a proper wife in society and I was his mistress in private and there was no other true interaction and we saw each other little. He was not abusive but he was also not attentive except during bed. It helped my career substantially because it was important that his wife have important responsibilities. I was first thinking of leaving him when he passed away and I have always wondered if I would have done so.

I have often wondered if stars at time married other stars because it was convenient because they shared a lifestyle and it was more socially acceptable than having a long affair.

Dothery-been a while since reading Ann-Margaret's book, but I recall her early manager duped her out of a lot of money. It wasn't until she met her husband (Roger?) things straightened out for her.

>SansFin:I have often wondered if stars married other stars because it was convenient because they shared a lifestyle and it was more socially acceptable than having a long affair.

When you're "in the biz" no one understands the sacrifice & dedication you must have to your work. (everything stops and is second when I get a job!) Most families are more demanding of a partner's time and often feel "pushed aside" and resentful "Daddy wasn't at my recital/baseball game/etc"

Sadly, I think that often filters into infidelity expectations. Almost as if because of the job, you should overlook "on set affairs".

It completely makes sense when actors marry other actors.

I think meeting others "in the biz" that realization of dedication is inherent, so they understand each other. I can totally see why Michael Jackson & Lisa Marie Presley were attracted to each other-they understood the loss of childhood each experienced.

What I find amazing is when successful actresses successfully raise children-Goldie Hawn & Susan Sarandon come to mind. Somehow they had strong partners who supported the entire family while Mom was working.

Also, maybe big stars today don't work as incessantly as in the past, like Bette Davis or Burt Lancaster.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}Among males, it might be cowboy star Lash LaRue who supposedly lost track of how many times he had been married. I've seen it mentioned as being from 10-12 wives.

Hmmmmm. Other than LaRue's own words I find no evidence of these 12 wives. I wonder if this could be one of those tall Texas tales I used to hear so much of as a child, even though I know he was born in Michigan. I wonder if he's counting common law relationships or even just girlfriends? The most number of actual names of wives that I can come up with for this guy are three.

Edited by: calvinnme on Dec 10, 2012 9:02 AM

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}Dothery-been a while since reading Ann-Margaret's book, but I recall her early manager duped her out of a lot of money. It wasn't until she met her husband (Roger?) things straightened out for her.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > SansFin:I have often wondered if stars married other stars because it was convenient because they shared a lifestyle and it was more socially acceptable than having a long affair.When you're "in the biz" no one understands the sacrifice & dedication you must have to your work. (everything stops and is second when I get a job!) Most families are more demanding of a partner's time and often feel "pushed aside" and resentful "Daddy wasn't at my recital/baseball game/etc"

> Sadly, I think that often filters into infidelity expectations. Almost as if because of the job, you should overlook "on set affairs".

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> It completely makes sense when actors marry other actors.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I think meeting others "in the biz" that realization of dedication is inherent, so they understand each other.

This brings up unconventional marriages of the stars where "the biz" and its conventions were probably the reason for the marriage even though there were deep friendships underneath it all and the marriages did last until death do they part:

Janet Gaynor and Adrian married 1939-1959 (his death) one child - Gaynor retired from acting upon her marriage. Adrian and Gaynor were reportedly both gay.

Edmund Lowe and Lilyan Tashman married 1925-1934 (her death) - Both were gay but great friends. He stayed with her through a prolonged illness at the end of her life

Mary Pickford and Charles "Buddy" Rogers married 1937-1979 (her death) They adopted two children. He was gay, they were both very good friends.

Joan Crawford asked openly gay William Haines to marry her in 1927, since they got along so well. He responded that those kind of marriages only cause jealousy when both parties like men. He said it would only work if she liked women. I wish I could find the exact quote. Instead they remained lifelong friends.

Then there are show business marriages for which there is no explanation:

Charles Bickford married 1916-1967 to Beatrice Loring, 2 children, ending with his death. In his entire biography he never mentions that his wife and children even exist or that he was ever married in the first place. This was his only marriage. Bickford is buried in a lone unmarked grave - and he had plenty of money at his death.

Normally I would apologize for wandering so far off topic, but it seems we are now discussing show business marriages in general, so I feel OK about this post.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings