Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Phantom of the opera - which version ?

classiccinemafan

I've seen 1925 , 1943 and 1962.

My favorite ones are 1925 and 1943. I don't care for the 1962 version. I thought it stunk.

I've seen two versions of the 1925 version. I seen the original and the 1929 sound version. The original runs longer and gets boring at times , but it makes more since than the '29 sound version. The unmasking scene in the original is more effective than the '29 version (filmed at another angle). Most of the time , I'm watching the '29 sound version , probably because it's the only decent print of the '25 version around. The running time fr the originial 1925 is sluggish.

I like the 1943 version because of the technicolor and opera. It was the first version i've seen.

Or the 1989 version starring Robert Englund, the original Freddy Krueger? That one is definitely in 5th place of the five versions that I have seen.

My ordering for the other four would be the 1925 silent version with Lon Chaney, the 2004 musical version with Gerald Butler, the 1943 version with Claude Rains and then the 1962 version with Herbert Lom. The 1943 version was also the first one that I saw.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings