Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Smiling Lieutenant. . . .A Charming Movie.

slaytonf

I think it's the best of Lubitsch's musicals (never liked Merry Widow much - seems more like MGM froth than the "Lubitsch Touch.") Definitely up there with Trouble in Paradise and Design for Living for me (and Cluny Brown.)

But up next is arguably the greatest Lubitsch - The Shop Around the Corner.

Among my favorite Lubitsch films, and one of the best with which to illustrate "the Lubitsch touch" to a film neophyte...especially when Claudette Colbert and Miriam Hopkins team up for the outrageous "Jazz Up Your Lingerie."

If some archive wants to restore an absolutely charming Chevalier film, they should restore 1930's "The Big Pond", which also stars Claudette Colbert. Colbert plays a rich American girl who falls in love with penniless Chevalier while vacationing with her family in France. Her dad decides to play along and bring Chevalier's character back to the U.S., give him a job in his chewing gum factory, and show his daughter that he could never fit in. Instead, Chevalier does very well at his job, charms everyone including the future father-in-law, and in the process almost loses the girl (Colbert). Not really a precode by any standard, but cute as a button.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings