Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PROGRAMMERS'S ERRS ONCE AGAIN!

leobertucelli

>LIKE WHY SHOW A FILM FROM THE 50'S AT 3:00 IN THE AFTERNNON & THEN FOLLOW FROM 5 TILL 10 WITH SILENTS

Because that's what we pay for. I have to subscribe to the Directv Second Tier to get TCM. $67.00 a month.

This is also why I DON'T subscribe to HBO, Encore, Starz, Fox, etc, and other channels that show newer movies.

You must be talking about Dec.3, which was Baby Peggy day. I've been waiting for decades to see some Baby Peggy films!

Yay!

I think you might be on the wrong channel and the wrong message board. :)

I think maybe you mean "Programmers err once again!". Or, if there were only one programmer, "Programmer errs once again !"

Either way, no apostrophe is necessary. Unless you mean "The programmer's error was detected by me once again!"

If you do not agree with the programmer(s)' selection of films, you can say so and vent about it here. But to say it was an "error" is incorrect; if that were the case, everytime we disagree with another person's taste in something ( films, books, clothes, pizza...) we'd say they were "in error". "Errors" are not about opinions, they are about incorrect facts, or mistakes, as in getting the wrong date on a history test, or saying 5 squared = 10 on a math test. Those would be regarded as "errors".

The TCM programmer's ( or programmers' ) scheduled line-up of movies for yesterday would be not so much an "error" as a choice of films that you dislike.

By the way, I've noticed a distressing tendency to stick an apostrophe at the end of any word that ends with an "s". Some people seem to think if the word is a plural, as in "Sale today on boxed sets !", that it should read "Sale today on boxed sets' !", as though the boxed sets have some sort of ownership in the matter.

That is my poe-faced commentary for today. Thanks' .

I kind of wondered about that. It occured to me that in the magical and (for me) unfathomable world of mathematics, the correct answer to "what is 5 squared?" might vary, depending on the "base" or some other incomprehensible ( to me) math mystery. Mathematics has never been my strong point.

( Or should I say "mathematics' " ?)

I should have stuck with what I know, as in something like " If someone were to say that Van Heflin appeared as Henry Fonda's fellow juror in *Twelve Angry Men*, that would be an error."

But then, you're a teacher, right ? (So...a math teacher?)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings