Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Sexless Stars?

MacCaulayConnor

I was thinking the other day, that of all the men and women who went on to become major Hollywood stars, there can't be two more sexless stars than Katharine Hepburn and Bing Crosby. I don't mean that they lacked "sex appeal" (although, to me, God knows they did), but that, even as Hollywood superstars they were just completely lacking in ANY kind of physical appeal. I find it impossible to believe that any man could ever have been physically passionate (even as a fantasy) about Hepburn. And, the same for Crosby with women. I'm sure some people will disagree, but, really, do you think a lot of men would disagree and say, 'Boy, I was hot for Kate.' (even that thought seems ludicrous). I guess my only point is, that while sexual appeal has always been a major factor in Hollywood stardom, some folks managed to make it anyway.

Easy: Francis the Talking Mule.

From Wikipedia:

> While there is no known instance of a male mule siring offspring, female mules have on very rare occasion given birth to viable offspring.

:-)

Does the topic of this thread seem like it will lead to much positive discussion? I hope it does not become a put-down of beloved stars who were not born with a come-hither look or a sultry voice. Plus, I have a feeling this could become a sexist thread which objectifies women if one is not careful.

>I have a feeling this could become a sexist thread which objectifies women if one is not careful.

LOL, are you the Block Warden here? Are you going to report us to the Thought Police?

I'll go along with Katharine Hepburn and Bing Crosby. Of course the OP is talking about men and women in film who usually played young romantic leads, but who weren't very romantic or desirable. On the other hand, actors who were desirable were people like Lana Turner and Marlon Brando.

>I look forward to reading other feminists' views in this thread. I am sure you do, too.

Oh, yes ma'mm, I certainly do. I've been waiting all morning to read some feminists' views. I woke up early this morning so I could find some feminists's views to read on the internet.

>Oh, yes ma'mm, I certainly do. I've been waiting all morning to read some feminists' views. I woke up early this morning so I could find some feminists's views to read on the internet.

Hallelujah, Brother. You have come to the right place. :)

My guess is that some of the stars mentioned in this thread will have been covered in Susan Faludi's Backlash or in Molly Haskell's From Reverence to Rape.

I completely disagree with anyone who says that Bing Crosby was not physically atrractive (that means sex appeal, doesn't it?) to women. No one could be as sensationally popular as he was selling records (with that great crooner voice, of his, which, I'm sure adds to the sex appeal for the distaff side) as Bing.

This man was the NUMBER ONE box office star of the 1940's!!! No one is going to attain that kind of status without having thoroughly appealed to the ladies. I can remember my mother telling me how as a young girl she had a MAJOR crush on Bing Crosby in the '30s. I'm sure she wasn't unique in that.

Take a look at that skinny little rake Sinatra when he was a bobby sox sensation in the '40s, and became a threat to Crosby. He was considered very hot to the young girls then, no matter how inconceivable that may be to some today.

So when, MacCauley, you say that Bing Crosby was sexless, okay, that's in your eyes. Be very aware, however, that millions of young girls and women in the '30s and '40s seemed to be quite crazy about Der Bingle. Cary Grant or Errol Flynn he might not have been physically. Whatever, Crosby still had "It" for the ladies.

What an innovative topic!

Top of my list - John Wayne.

Next - Bing Crosby.

Both with nary a shred of SAAM.

Modern day - the always loathesome Jim Carrey, followed by Tom Cruise.

Women - sadly, Joan Crawford and Lucille Ball in the later years, and Kate Hepburn forever and ever.

Excellent topic. Sure to be a hot one.

Fred, the Block Wardens outnumber the inmates here, sadly. Or at least they think they do.

Marlon and Lana, really?

I think Grant and Warren (my future husband, hands off gals), Garfield, and even Victor McLaglen had more SAAM (remember SAAM, Fred?) than Marlon, a ham in his good days, and an over stuffed turkey later on (okay, with the exception of da Godfather, his defining role).

Speaking of da Godfather, you should SEE the evisceration Mikey Corleone is getting on Broadway, in the revival of Glengarry Glen Ross. Sad to see.

Same with Lana. Sexless to me. Meanwhile, Carole Lombard and a young Constance Bennett and those actresses whose names I can't remember would make me turn, not that there's anything wrong with that.

This thread will be a hoot, since it involves............are you sitting down?.............ONE'S PERSONAL OPINION, not a favorite thing on this board.

Uh oh, here come the thought police, I'm going to hide under Warren William's - or is it Warren Williams's? - couch.

:):):):):):):)

As a man, I'm hard put to decipher the sexual attraction some women either find, or DON'T find in certain actors. So, I asked my wife.

Her opinion of old time actors that weren't physically(by either body or face) attractive are:

JAMES CAGNEY

RALPH BELLAMY

BOB HOPE

BING CROSBY

MONTGOMERY CLIFT

ROBERT MONTGOMERY

ROBERT YOUNG

JOSEPH COTTON

FREDERIC MARCH

SPENCER TRACEY

GEORGE SANDERS(Saunders?)

DAVID NIVEN

LAURENCE OLIVIER

GEORGE RAFT

WARREN WILLIAM (Just KIDDING, willbe! She said she used to have a crush on him. At least until she laid eyes on GILBERT ROLAND)

As for the ladies? In MY opinion, you can add to the list with Kate Hepburn:

JUNE ALLYSON

BETTE DAVIS

MARY ASTOR

BARBARA STANWYCK( YES! I SAID it!)

Sepiatone

I couldn't disagree more about Katherine Hepburn. Slim, gorgeous, lively, interesting, and intelligently opninionated. What more could a man want?

Sexless actresses with good physical qualities but absoutely no warmth or pizazz: Claudette Colbert, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Mary Astor, Ruth Chatterton. I'd take a 50 year old Hepburn or Stanwyck over any of those women in their primes. And if I could choose one actress in one role as my ideal soulmate, it might be Bette Davis in So Big. Youth, intelligence, beauty and idealism are to me very hard to beat, and it's hard to think of a better combination of those qualities than Davis's Dallas O' Mara in that great 1932 movie.

And try as I may, I can't imagine the non-visual appeal of Leslie Howard, Ralph Bellamy, Joel McCrea (he says as he ducks for cover), George Brent, and yes, Bing "Sominex" Crosby. Followed also by the B-movie prettyboy archtypes like Gene Raymond, but they're too numerous to list.

I guess my only point is, that while sexual appeal has always been a major factor in Hollywood stardom, some folks managed to make it anyway.

Well, that's just it, sex appeal is just one factor. What was it that Carl Laemmle said of Bette Davis? Something along the line of "She has all the sex appeal of Slim Summerville."

Yet she became a star just as her one-time co-star Edward G. Robinson did, and somewhat ironically, she found him repulsive. "For every pot there's a cover" as the old saying goes.

> Sexless actresses with good physical qualities but absoutely no warmth or pizazz: Claudette Colbert, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Mary Astor, Ruth Chatterton. I'd take a 50 year old (Kate) Hepburn or Stanwyck over any of those women in their primes.

Claudette and Marlene...sexless? Are you nuts (and I say that in a nice way)? They certainly exuded warmth, though it was invariably on their terms; without it, neither would have been a top-tier star. And given how Dietrich bedded (or tried to bed) every adult male and female star in Hollywood, it was apparent that most of the film community was in awe of Marlene's sexuality.

Tell that to Grace Kelly, Inger Stevens, Ingrid Bergman, and a host of other beautiful women who found him very attractive.

For me, on the sexless list would be Gregory Peck. He's about as sexy as over-boiled broccoli. Then there's Edward G. Robinson, one of my favorite actors. The thought of him in a sexual situation ... Well, lets not go there.

>If you don't like the topic of this thread, you're welcome to start your own, I suppose.

I am not sure that I don't like it. There is plenty to enjoy and possibly spoof in a thread like this. Also, I think it's a good place to discuss the objectification of Hollywood sex symbols. That can definitely be a provocative conversation, wouldn't you say?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings