Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What if Randolph Scott had not retired?

LiamCasey

Although Randolph Scott's final appearance was in *Ride the High Country* in 1962 (Just like William Powell, Mr. Scott went out on a good one.), he did not pass away until 1987. What movie during that period would you have liked to see him in and why?

At a minimum, I would have loved to have seen Mr. Scott do a cameo in *Blazing Saddles* as a follow-up to the "You'd do it for Randolph Scott." exchange. Since John Wayne thought *Blazing Saddles* was "too dirty" for his image, it is hard to image Mr. Scott not feeling the same. But, as a fan of both *Blazing Saddles* and Mr. Scott's westerns, it would have been interesting.

P.S. In light of last week's comment that William Powell didn't retire but, instead, became a member of the Arizona Cardinals, the following link is dedicated to Fedya:

http://www.randolphscottins.com/

Scott was 64 when his last film was released so I'd prefer to have him retire at the top than to be doing sidekicks or roles that would have poked fun at his legacy.

The only role that comes to mind where he could maintain his dignity while settling for a supporting role would be if he had played Deke Thornton in THE WILD BUNCH.

When he retired from the movies, he really did seem to retire from all of show business. No television appearances for him (not even in the 1950s when he was still making western features).

He wrote his own ticket and got off when he wanted to, with no intention of ever getting back on.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}The only role that comes to mind where he could maintain his dignity while settling for a supporting role would be if he had played Deke Thornton in THE WILD BUNCH.

I had also made the same jump from one Sam Peckinpah film, *Ride the High Country*, to another, *The Wild Bunch*, and had also saw Randolph Scott in the Robert Ryan role. As a matter of fact, there are a number of Mr. Ryan's roles from the 1960's that I could easily see Mr. Scott doing: *The Longest Day*, *The Dirty Dozen*, etc. My only problem here is that the positive of gaining another Randolph Scott performance would lead to the negative of losing a Robert Ryan performance.

Another supporting role that I believe Mr. Scott could have done was the Brian Keith role along side of Steve McQueen in *Nevada Smith*. *Nevada Smith* is a prequel to *The Carpetbaggers* with Alan Ladd playing an older Nevada Smith in the latter. Having never seen *The Carpetbaggers* myself, could have (or even would have) Mr. Scott done Mr. Ladd's role?

My only problem here is that the positive of gaining another Randolph Scott performance would lead to the negative of losing a Robert Ryan performance.

There's actually an occasion in which one could say that Ryan had a Scott role. Here's a bit of dialogue from the 1961 film THE CANADIANS, written by Burt Kennedy in which Ryan plays Gannon:

The white squaw: "Mr. Gannon?"

Insp. William Gannon: "Yes."

The white squaw: "If you met a woman, a woman like me, that had been taken by the Sioux, how would you feel knowing that?"

Insp. William Gannon: "If I loved her, it wouldn't matter."

The white squaw: "It wouldn't?"

Insp. William Gannon: "No ma'am, it wouldn't matter at all."

Now here's an exchange from COMANCHE STATION which came out a year earlier, also written by Kennedy and featuring Scott as Cody:

Nancy Lowe: "If-if you had a woman taken by the Comanche and-and you got her back... how would you feel knowing..." (implying the sexual component of her capture)

Jefferson Cody: "If I loved her, it wouldn't matter."

Nancy Lowe: "Wouldn't it?"

Jefferson Cody: "No ma'am. It wouldn't matter at all."

I can't see Scott playing Nevada Smith in THE CARPETBAGGERS. It was sad enough to have the exchange between Ladd as Smith and Carroll Baker as Rina that goes something like this

Rina: "How old are you?"

Nevada: "Forty-two"

Rina: "You look thirty."

Nevada: "How old are you?"

Rina: "Twenty-two"

Nevada: "You look thirty."

Ladd was already looking considerably older than his fifty years, and his character aged about another ten years in the course of the story. Scott might have gotten away with the latter part of the film, but not the earlier segments.

LiamCasey wrote:"Another supporting role that I believe Mr. Scott could have done was the Brian Keith role along side of Steve McQueen in Nevada Smith. Nevada Smith is a prequel to The Carpetbaggers with Alan Ladd playing an older Nevada Smith in the latter. Having never seen The Carpetbaggers myself, could have (or even would have) Mr. Scott done Mr. Ladd's role?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yes, Nevada Smith, one of my favorite(and apparently somewhat underrated) Westerns.

Yep Liam, I think Scott would've been pretty good in the Jonas Cord role, also...though I think Brian Keith was very good in it, too.

And while you're not missin' all that much by never having watched The Carpetbaggers(unless you're in the mood for a little "guilty pleasure" time), I've always thought Ladd was somewhat miscast in the role of the latter day Nevada Smith in that movie. And so yeah, I think Scott might've fit the bill a little better than did Ladd in that one.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings