Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMC stinks ! showing colorized Miracle on 34th street 1947

classiccinemafan

I can't tell you how much I really hate that channel. I'm so greatful we have TCM.

AMC showed 'Christmas in Conn.'. It was in black and white , but had those dumb 'walking dead' ads in the bottom.

I'm so looking forward to seeing 'Christmas Story' on Christmas eve and Christmas day. After having supper with family of course. It's on 24 hours , so what is there to miss.

It's a tradition to watch Christmas Story in my house. 24 straight hours. I love that movie. It's a wonderful life and Miracle on 34th street 1947 are the others on my top 3 favorite christmas movies.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Dec 10, 2012 1:27 PM

classiccinemafan, you had me at "AMC stinks"!

Colorized versions of movies - and panned and scanned when widescreen of course - do not surprise me on AMC.

During October when AMC was running a few of the old B&W horror classics in the middle of the night, one poster claimed he had seen the 90 minute "Corridors of Blood" starring Boris Karloff run in a 15 minute slot with 5 minutes of commercials over on AMC! I doubted the veracity of this claim, but then they did it again so I tuned in and you wouldn't believe the result - it was incomprehensible.

Why bother with the pathos of Karloff when Bob the Enzyte guy would be just as effective in such an abbreviated production!

I'm sure when AMC runs "White Christmas" - which fortunately for them is already in color - they really regret there are no car chases or explosions in the film to captivate their target demographic. I'm sure if they could edit them into the film without violating copyright they would.

My husband and I were just talking the other day about watching "Make Way for Tomorrow" and "Murder by the Clock" on AMC back when we first moved into our house in 1995. How far AMC has fallen.

I completely agree how far AMC has fallen, but I watched "White Christmas" last year and will watch it again this year. It looks spectacular in HD and nobody else is showing it. I can live with commercials if I really want to see a movie. I grew up watching movies with commercials on a small black and white TV, when the least kind of bad weather made it all but unwatchable, in which case one of my brothers or I would be appointed to stand there holding the rabbit ears so that the others could watch. Commercials aren't a small price to pay, but in some cases I'm willing to pay it.

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}

> I completely agree how far AMC has fallen, but I watched "White Christmas" last year and will watch it again this year. It looks spectacular in HD and nobody else is showing it. I can live with commercials if I really want to see a movie. I grew up watching movies with commercials on a small black and white TV, when the least kind of bad weather made it all but unwatchable, in which case one of my brothers or I would be appointed to stand there holding the rabbit ears so that the others could watch. Commercials aren't a small price to pay, but in some cases I'm willing to pay it.

I bought the recently (2009) restored DVD of "White Christmas", and I agree the film looks great. That's how I watch it so I don't have to deal with AMC.

I remember watching all kinds of old films on B&W TV too. Those were the days with morning movies, afternoon movies, late show movies. I loved these old films even as a kid, and when Christmas vacation would come, I'd get out the old TV guide and circle which old films I'd watch on which days. An odd occupation for a 10 year old, don't you think?

So when these old films were all over the dial, you're right, commercials were not too high a price to pay. But in the days we're talking about, 40 years or so ago, the channels couldn't constantly put annoying little crawling things across the bottom of the screen to advertise DURING the movie too. AMC does that.

You're right, of course, about DVD being the way to go. And, no, you weren't the only one circling things for the week in TV Guide. Nothing odd about that at all, pre-DVR. I think one of the reasons I resist totally dumping on AMC is the fondness with which I remember Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney. I recently tranferred to DVD some of the old VHS tapes I recorded from AMC of movies TCM still hasn't shown and I made sure I included their introductions. Yes, AMC pretty much stinks, but there are some beloved ghosts roaming those halls. And you're so right about the creepy-crawlies; maybe on The Weather Channel or the news, but definitely not for movies.

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}You're right, of course, about DVD being the way to go. And, no, you weren't the only one circling things for the week in TV Guide. Nothing odd about that at all, pre-DVR. I think one of the reasons I resist totally dumping on AMC is the fondness with which I remember Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney. I recently tranferred to DVD some of the old VHS tapes I recorded from AMC of movies TCM still hasn't shown and I made sure I included their introductions. Yes, AMC pretty much stinks, but there are some beloved ghosts roaming those halls. And you're so right about the creepy-crawlies; maybe on The Weather Channel or the news, but definitely not for movies.

I know some people who actually get their old tapes of the AMC broadcasts, CUT OFF the introductions when they transfer the films to DVD, and dump the VHS tapes! To me those introductions are of historic and sentimental value and I can't see why anybody would dump them. Good for you for keeping them around for posterity.

How many would rather had the original "Miracle on 34th Street" instead of the *boring* silent feature last night? I watched only 30 min of it and got out a DVD.

Shoot if AMC simply stop showing commercials and editing their movies (my major issue :( ), I would accept the colorized versions as a tradeup. I like Santa in red and white attire anyway.

Speaking of modern movies, anyone noticed that "Prancer" (1989) don't get the attention it should? It's just a great Christmas film as "Miracle on 34th Street" and "A Christmas Story".

To each his own, but I consider THE CROWD (if that's the silent to which you are referring) to be one of the greatest of its era. I was so happy to finally get a recording of it last night as I've not had a VCR in years and only recently purchased a DVD recorder.

Nevertheless, I do enjoy MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET which may be on next year if the pattern holds up. It was on in 2009 and 2011, so maybe it's going to show up again.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}To each his own, but I consider THE CROWD (if that's the silent to which you are referring) to be one of the greatest of its era. I was so happy to finally get a recording of it last night as I've not had a VCR in years and only recently purchased a DVD recorder.

>

> Nevertheless, I do enjoy MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET which may be on next year if the pattern holds up. It was on in 2009 and 2011, so maybe it's going to show up again.

I'm with you. I already had a recording of the Crowd, but I watched it again because it is one of the greatest silent films ever made with themes that remain pertinent to this day. I don't see how anybody could be bored by it unless they just don't like silent film.

Sorry but "The Crowd" simply didn't strike a note with me. It being silent has nothing to do with it, there are many silents I enjoy but like sound movies, I don't like some of them. Before last night, I've never heard of "The Crowd" let alone just finding out its an acclaimed film.

I am happy that you and clore had a wonderful night. Just boils down to personal taste. :)

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 10, 2012 12:13 PM

Re this whole colorization of "Miracle" here...

I find it rather ironic that the newest Macy's Christmas commercial which features all these present day "celebs", has a computerized image of Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle from this movie interacting with all these "celebs", and he's shown in, believe it or not...BLACK & WHITE..and which I thought was a nice touch.

(...if you haven't seen it yet, wait 'til the end where he interacts with the irascible Donald Trump...that's the best part about it!)

I'm surprised, Dargo, that Trump didn't try cashing in on the sale of "Trump Bad Hair Hats", ala Davy Crockett "Coonskin" caps!

Dougie, you and your brother had to hold the "rabbit ears"? What happened, the TIN FOIL didn't work?

I always wondered why some smart-azz didn't try an "un-colorizing" campaign; the REMOVING of color from old Technicolor movies? "Man, wouldn't this movie look GREAT in BLACK AND WHITE?" ( I actually thought of this while watching *The Sting* recently)

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings