Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Carol For Another Christmas (1964) unseen for decades

clore

OK, so some of the traditional Christmas movies are playing on other channels and there are some complaining that this is because TCM won't cough up the bucks.

Well, what price is a Christmas movie worth to you if it's directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and written by Rod Serling?

How about a cast that includes Sterling Hayden, Eva Marie Saint, Ben Gazzara, Pat Hingle, Robert Shaw and Peter Sellers?

It's a reworking of themes from "A Christmas Carol" and it was originally made for ABC-TV and sponsored by Xerox albeit with no interruptions. It received considerable acclaim when it aired in December 1964 and was nominated for two Emmy Awards. It airs on the 16th so you may want to check it out.

I was originally going to post my thoughts and joy of this movie being on the schedule, but got so aggravated with the response time of page loading that I change my mind about posting. I'm sure nobody really cares about it. I know the 'blockheads' responsible for the slow response time don't care.

It did slow down a couple of times today, but it seems to be OK for the last few hours.

When that happens, I actually get up to watch a movie so I enjoyed sitting down with TERESA, a film I've not seen in 40 years. So, if you're of a mind to try again, please express yourself.

It took 4 minutes for my response page to come up here. But that's another story. What I was going to say and because you asked, I will reply. I was going to mention that it thrilled me to see this TV movie on TCM's schedule. I was also going to comment that I believe TCM should schedule more TV movies (particularily during the Christmas season). I realize that other channels are bombarding viewers during the holiday season with holiday themed TV movies. Those are also jam packed with commercial interruptions and even cut to accomodate even more and longer commercials than were originally intended. It wouldn't upset me in the least if TCM would get a fresh supply of holiday movies, even if it means raiding the vaults of TV movies. That's just my feelings and I know the "purists" here are just cringing at this thought. I might add, seeing as how I have the "purists" cringing, Last year I purchased the anniversary DVD of "It's A Wonderful Life". It was a two disk set. One the digitally remastered version of the original and the other a colorized version. I really don't care much for colorization, but I have to admit, it was pretty good. I would highly recommend everyone at least somehow to view it.

I agree with you, and there is the precedent of TCM having aired TV movies in the past, such as DUEL and HONDO AND THE APACHES. That they were released as features after the TV airing doesn't really mark them as feature films. Same with the Man From U.N.C.L.E. movies that have aired.

We've also had TV dramas starring Grace Kelly fill up time during her SOTM sojurn and the Hal Roach "Screen Directors Playhouse" half-hours were apparently enthusiasticly received here.

I'd love to again see a TV movie that Fred Astaire made titled THE MAN IN THE SANTA CLAUS SUIT or GERALDINE PAGE in Capote's A CHRISTMAS MEMORY.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:

> }{quote}TCM should schedule more TV movies (particularily during the Christmas season).

> TCM would get a fresh supply of holiday movies, even if it means raiding the vaults of TV movies.

I was going to bring this up too. Perhaps each year TCM can premiere some long-lost or unseen Christmas TV movie or Christmas special, like they are doing this year.

My candidate for next year:

The 1959 NBC live production of "Miracle on 34th Street". It was shown only once, on Nov. 27, 1959 and never repeated, or made available on home video of any kind. In fact, it was considered lost (no copies saved) for many years. I'd been trying to locate a copy for years for my own interest, but also on behalf of my friend Susan Gordon (child actress who played "Susan Walker" in the show) who never got to see it at all, having been in it (being a live broadcast, she couldn't see it and as I noted, no copies were known to have been saved). She assumed it was lost forever and that she'd never see it. Finally I found where a Kinescope copy is located, and so Susan finally got to see it. I have viewed it myself many times. But it still hasn't been shown publily since its only TV broadcast in 1959.

My discovery of the Kinecsope is mentioned under Trivia here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307164/

While it is very gratifying to me that Susan finally got to see the show (and at other occasions bring along members of her family to see it) I'd still like to see it released on DVD (no progress on that, unfortunately) or shown somewhere like on TCM.

It is a good version and deserves to be seen and not remain confined to an archive.

TCM programmers, please look into this.

R.I.P. Susan Gordon, Dec. 11, 2011. Still trying to get your show out there!

Just watched this film. Definitely has that Twilight Zone thing going for it.

The thing that surprised me the most, which I appreciated the most, was

how Mr. Grudge refrained from arguing, or escalating his disagreements.

He was very open to the ghostly presentations. I know Scrooge acted

similarly but, for some reason, I expected Mr. Grudge to argue every

step of the way. Maybe it was due to Sterling Hayden's presence or,

possibly, the later time period in which it was presented. Closer to our

present day with 7 talking heads on a cable news channel arguing their

individual points simultaneously. At any rate, except for Peter Sellers

character, which I thought was over the top, I did enjoy this film.

I liked it too.

Back in those days, there were at least a dozen or more major films and live TV shows, on TV, warning about WW III and the bomb, starting as early as 1953. I saw some of these and each one was profound and frightening. I think I finally just stopped watching them. By 1966 I became a hippie and dropped out. :) Moved to San Francisco and joined the other drop-outs. LOL. That was more fun than worrying about the bomb. :)

There was pretty much nothing the general public could do about international affairs and the cold war, so we looked for ways to just try to forget about that stuff.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}"I'd love to again see a TV movie that Fred Astaire made titled THE MAN IN THE SANTA CLAUS SUIT"

Oh gosh, I thought I might be the only person who remembered this made-for-TV movie - I enjoyed it so much and have wondered for years why it has not become a staple of the Christmas season. I wish it would be made available on DVD so that I could watch it again. I do have a recording of it on a VHS tape, but it is so old I am not sure it would even be watchable anymore. {font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings