Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Merry Christmas Cards

Gad!

Kid_Dabb,

I apologize for posting away in here without asking first. I am so sorry. Do you want others to add to the thread or do you wish to use this as a gallery for your own collection?

I'll take mine down if you like.

Kyle In Hollywood

What a great thread! I'm loving these vintage pictures. Ironically, I'm reading a bio on Norman Rockwell right now and it mentions his close association with J.C. Leyendecker (two of the illustrators featured in this thread). Love Rockwell's work in particular.

*"I'm reading a bio on Norman Rockwell right now and it mentions his close association with J.C. Leyendecker (two of the illustrators featured in this thread). Love Rockwell's work in particular."* - EugeniaH

You might enjoy this thread I created a year ago for the Classic FIlm Festival.

http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8599624#8599624

It illustrates the work of J. C. Leyendecker for Arrow Shirts and Kuppenheimer Menswear and the soon-to-be-famous models he employed from the NYC theater.

A friend of mine from years ago used to collect 19th Century Christmas cards. Many of the early ones showed a thin Santa, and the lady told me he was actually the Catholic Saint Nicholas, who often wore a red Cardinal's robe that was trimmed in white fur. He was known to have given gifts to poor children. In the 19th Century, this character eventually evolved into our present-day chubby Santa.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/origin-of-santa/

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/

Saint Nicholas:

content_img.1909.img.jpg

I was just wondering about how "Santa Claus" came about. I've HEARD all the possible explanations. But I refer to Clement Moore's poem *T'was The Night Before Christmas* , in which our protagonist isn't CALLED "Santa Claus", but instead is referred to as "St. Nick". Seen riding a "miniature sleigh" pulled by "eight tiny reindeer". He's further described, in that iconic poem, as a "right jolly old ELF"!

Fast forward to today, and any movie about him, good or bad, has him anywhere from average to tall in height, and in the range from somewhat chubby to grossly obese. With reindeer the size of quarter horses!

Since there IS no "real" Santa, anyone can make him anything they want, I suppose. Like they did with vampires. But keeping him an Elf would make it easier to explain to the kiddies how he fits down the chimney.

But kids largely accepted Santa and the things he does without question. I myself have to admit I didn't question many of these things until way past my believing in him. Even though I grew up in the early '50's, the house I lived in still had a coal furnace until I was five, and I still remember asking my Mom if we could douse the fire in the furnace so Santa wouldn't get burned when he came down the chimney! I don't recall her explanation for not needing to worry about it, but it must have been valid enough for my five-year-old mind.

I still have a fondness for the old fella, and my wife is the Santa freak supreme. We must have about 40 Santa figurines of varying sizes distributed throughout the house. MY favorite is the one I found some years back at BIG LOT'S that was made in China. It's a flat piece of wood with Santa painted on one side. He is both pidgeon toed and CROSSEYED!

Anyway, loved the posted illustrations, and if I don't get a chance later, I wish all in this forum the merriest of Christmases, or ©hannukahs, Kwanzaa's or whatever.

Sepiatone

UCC026.jpg

I believe Santa Claus is a combination of St. Nicholas and Father Frost. Father Frost dresses in red with white trim.

We took a gift when we went to see St. Nicholas and his helpers would pass it on to poor children.

It was most common for us to receive one gift from St. Nicholas, many gifts from Father Frost and one gift from the angels on Christmas Day. The one from St. Nicholas was the most important and the one from the angels was the most personal.

This is Father Frost and his granddaughter who helps him deliver gifts.

FatherFrost002.jpg

SnowMaiden106.jpg