Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where did sound go to? ("The Women in His Life")

RMeingast

"The Women in His Life" turned into a silent film for about 2 minutes there...

Anbody else notice or did I just go deaf for that short period of time?

Sound to silent at c. 2:00 p.m. for about 2 minutes until sound returned at 2:02 p.m.

Oh well... Chance to practice my lip-reading skill...

Well not only in Canada, the sound cut out at about 14min.& 29 sec. to 16min.& 19 sec. in the central New York Time Warner Cable broadcast. I hope someone at TCM checks the copy they showed, they should get a refund or credit for an inferior product.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}Yes, it happened to me too RM, I thought it was my TV, maybe it just happened in Canada eh!

You say something Twinkee? Your lips are moving, but no sound coming out...

Yes, maybe problem TCM needs to check on for next time they show that movie...

No big deal... Just a bit of dialogue missing... 2 minutes worth...

Same here - FIOS in Westchester NY.

Good thing the movie wasn't as good as some of the others featured.

All in all, an excellent example of TCM doing classically classic for the classically classic fans. Thank you, TCM.

Boy, were Hugh Hubert and Charles Butterworth bad actors. And boy, was Otto Kruger a good actor.

And heck, Albert Brooks looks nothing like his father!

> {quote:title=William wrote:}{quote}Same here on Consolidated.net in Conroe, Texas....

Oh well, stuff happens... Sound died where Otto Kruger exits his office with Irene Franklin and Roscoe Karns singing... I thought they were whispering or drunkenly mouthing words to song before I realized sound was gone... Then bit of dialogue before sound kicks in again...

Next time movie is aired, and sound is out, have to reconstruct dialogue.

Users can guess what characters are saying and post it...

Or anybody who taped it can lip read and let us know what dialogue we missed...

Well, I hope you folks know it's a proven fact a man's hearing DOES tend to be lost at ironically the very same voice pitch of "the women in his life" after a while.

(...though these same studies have shown it's PRIMARILY the pitch of his WIFE'S voice which becomes most commonly lost in his aural octave range)

I live in KY, had DVR'ed the movie and got the same "silent treatment" for a few minutes. But I also have Time Warner for cable.

If I were more engrossed in the movie- it would have mattered more, but I just FF to where they were speaking again. I dont think I missed anything special

> {quote:title=enchanted910 wrote:}{quote}

> I live in KY, had DVR'ed the movie and got the same "silent treatment" for a few minutes. But I also have Time Warner for cable.

>

> If I were more engrossed in the movie- it would have mattered more, but I just FF to where they were speaking again. I dont think I missed anything special

Yes, just joking... It was only for about 2 minutes and I didn't miss much... Not earth-shakingly important, just wondered if anybody else noticed it...

> {quote:title=InFlynn wrote:}{quote}Not a big deal? Obviously those at TCM must be of the same mindset or they would rerun a good copy of the film, the sooner the better. When I record a film I'd like it to be as glitch free as possible.

Well, if anybody at TCM reads this, they should know about it by now...

Oh well... Maybe TCM just wanted to check and see if anybody was watching and would notice at that time of day?? Maybe they wanted to see if regular TCM viewers were awake while their TVs were set to TCM at that time of day...

Maybe they figure if you want the "good" version, you can buy it at the TCM Shop...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings