Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Representitive Movie Prior to 1929. Title?

solarblast

About six weeks ago, Robert Osborne had a movie historian on his show. They talked about the best movie that represented film from earlier than and including 1929. The end of the silent era. It was a mystery movie, and I think the Mary Pickford was the lead actress. Her husband was talked into trying to murder her by another woman. Anyone recall the title?

King Vidor's *THE BIG PARADE (1925)* was far and away the highest grossiing film of the 1920's And for 14 years stood as the measuring stick with which all subsequent films were judged prior to GONE WITH THE WIND in 1939. So you would have to say that THE BIG PARADE was a hugely significant motion picture. And to me it still ranks high on the list of the greatest films ever made.

I like SUNRISE, but to me 7TH HEAVEN is a better movie, and STREET ANGEL is just as good. There were many truly great films throughout the Silent Era. Not just produced in Hollywood but all around the world. To declare Sunrise outright the greatest Silent film is a major stretch. SUNRISE might not even be Murnau's Masterpiece. It's not easy to say that it is better or more influential than FAUST.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Congratulations!

>

> Stick around. Post some more. We need good researchers like you around this place. :)

Fred,

SUNRISE was not a mystery movie and Janet Gaynor is not Mary Pickford. Where does the congratulations and good researchers comment come from, or are you being facetious?

>Fred,

>

>SUNRISE was not a mystery movie and Janet Gaynor is not Mary Pickford. Where does the congratulations and good researchers comment come from, or are you being facetious?

Well, somehow I missed the word "mystery", and I thought he got the names mixed up. I don't recall any movie in which some woman tried to get a man to kill Mary Pickford. How about you? Do you know one?

Regardless of the description given, *Sunrise* was shown in early November on an evening devoted to Entertainment Weekly's recently published "100 Greatest Films" list. EW editor Jess Cagle appeared alongside Robert Osborne to discuss the films showing that night.

And I think *Sunrise* does show the power and potential of silent film as an artistic medium better than any other silent film. It is a truly unique production.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings