Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

question about "Banjo on my Knee"

JohnSteele

WIKI:

Francis Hall Johnson was born in Athens, Georgia, the son of William Decker Johnson, an A.M.E. minister who also served a term as President of the church-affiliated Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina. Johnson received an extensive education which included a time at the Juilliard School. As a boy, he taught himself to play the violin after hearing a violin recital given by Joseph Henry Douglass, grandson of Frederick Douglass. He went on to play the violin and viola professionally, including in the orchestra for the 1921 musical, Shuffle Along.

In time, however, he became more interested in choral music, forming the Hall Johnson Negro Choir, the first of many choral ensembles, in 1925. Hall Johnson and his choir became renowned through their participation in the 1930 Broadway production of Marc Connelly's The Green Pastures as well as in national and international tours of the play, radio versions, the 1936 film adaptation, and Hallmark Hall of Fame television broadcasts.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_Johnson

I went and looked it up after that scene because I was so curious. It looked like Theresa Harris to me, but usually the wardrobe and makeup departments didn't give her the glamour treatment, and she really looked marvelous with it. Something else that made me unsure was that she had also sung St. Louis Blues--to the point of being annoying--in the Stanwyck movie Baby Face and didn't sound anywhere near as good as she sounded in this movie.

BLU

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings