Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers.

Jezebelle

Anyone see the new TCM Remembers? I was just thinking about it when it came on. I didn't know that Ann Rutherford died this year =( I liked her very much (may she rest in peace). And I saw that they tributed Larry Hagman and Michael Clarke Duncan which I thought was nice. A few others caught my eye but I cannot remember them now. They didn't have a pretty song playing as it showed this year though, just kind of an instumental thing. But it was still very good and I'm glad I finally saw it, I was getting a bit worried as the year is coming to a close and I love the TCM Remembers segment. Your thoughts?

Yeah, the music WAS horrid. Saw some surprises, too. One in particular was AL FREEMAN JR. I would come home from work in the early '70's, and my wife would be watching *One Life To Live* . Freeman played a cop on that soap. Along with him in the cast at that time were TOMMY LEE JONES, TOM BERENGER, PHIL CAREY and JUDITH LIGHT. You could tell his talent exceeded what was needed for the show, as evidenced in the TV drama *My Sweet Charlie* . He also did a fine job as Elijah Muhammed in Spike Lee's *X* .

I was sorry to see ALL of those people go. May they all rest in peace.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, the music WAS horrid. Saw some surprises, too. One in particular was AL FREEMAN JR. I would come home from work in the early '70's, and my wife would be watching *One Life To Live* . Freeman played a cop on that soap. Along with him in the cast at that time were TOMMY LEE JONES, TOM BERENGER, PHIL CAREY and JUDITH LIGHT. You could tell his talent exceeded what was needed for the show, as evidenced in the TV drama *My Sweet Charlie* . He also did a fine job as Elijah Muhammed in Spike Lee's *X* .

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I was sorry to see ALL of those people go. May they all rest in peace.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Sepiatone: I posted this on another *TCM Remembers* thread on the Hot Topics forum: I did not know Al Freeman had died. I think he was the first real Black leading man on the soaps when he starred on *One Life to Live.* Laurence Fishborne played his adopted son so some great actors got to be more

Great minds think alike.

this revview is always thought and memory provoking.

i noticed two overlooked people who have passed.

Joyce Redman: who can forget her scene with Albert Finney eating dinner at a tavern in Tom Jones.

Dick Clark: while the Bandstand host didn't act in many movies, his influence in music and the role of Rock'nRoll and its importance in the last half of the 20th Century worldwide and in cinema was enormous.

> Is it as derelict as it is made out to be?

It is now a six screen drive-in still in business but they kept many of the original parts such as the neon sign and incorporated them into the modern facade. From the looks of the video, some of the projectors are vintage as well.

Sometimes, Google can be your friend:

http://eastatlanta.patch.com/listings/starlight-drive-in

• 2 weeks later...

TCM always does such a beautiful, tasteful job with these "in memoriam" presentations at the end of each year. However, I am very surprised this year that they have completely forgotten about the Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, who had just passed away only a few months ago. They should have shown a clip of him in "Shawshank Redemption" -- that's got to be the one film for which he is most known/recognized. TCM really made a big mistake by omitting him. What a tremendous talent!

> However, I am very surprised this year that they have completely forgotten about the Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, who had just passed away only a few months ago

Topo,

TCM didn't include Morgan Freeman in the year-end TCM Remembers, because contrary to that internet rumor from a while back, he is still very much ALIVE!!!!

Just don't want folks thinking Morgan Freeman died when he hasn't.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Really? I liked the music.

The music is M83's "Wait" from their critically acclaimed album "Hurry up, We're Dreaming."

The full music video is here with an explanation:

http://stereogum.com/1213241/m83-wait-video/video/

Album has been nominated for a 2013 Grammy Award.

You can read more about the album here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurry_Up,_We%27re_Dreaming

You can read more about M83 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M83_%28band%29

The band is also doing the soundtrack to a 2013 film titled "Oblivion" starring Tom Cruise:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/m83-to-score-next-tom-cruise-movie-20120629

Anyway, like it or loathe it, the band and their music is very much the flavour of the moment...

Why TCM chose it? Who knows?? Maybe because it's the flavour of the moment and "hip" people are well aware of this band. Also because the music has been described by band member Anthony Gonzalez thusly: "When I make an album it's always about nostalgia, melancholy in the past and memories" (from interview by Cam Lindsay in "Exclaim!" - http://exclaim.ca/Interviews/FromTheMagazine/m83s_double_standard).

That theme fits with the TCM Remembers piece...

BTW, Morgan Freeman is co-starring in the 2013 film "Oblivion": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblivion_%282013_film%29

So, as of this date, he's very much alive and well...

Edited by: RMeingast on Dec 23, 2012 1:08 PM

Back in the '70's, while watching "ONE LIFE TO LIVE" with the ex, I thought, "This Tommy Lee Jones guy deserves better than this!".

Thought the same about Morgan Freeman while watching "THE ELECTRIC COMPANY" with the kids.

I was happy to see the right people thought so, too.

I personally don't know ANYBODY who doesn't like Morgan Freeman!

Sepiatone

No, but that would be (forgive me if this sounds crude) hilarious. If that happened to Angela Lansbury, Shirley Temple or to Doris Day I would be rolling on the floor in tears....but its still very wrong. It's a good thing the TCM members do their research. :)

I had seen it and I think they would stick to instrumentals. The Oscar In Memorium are guilty with the same thing. I want to see the images of departed actors,directors,etc who made Hollywood great not a artist's singing. I also wished they include for next year the ones they missed from say Dec 13,2012 to Dec 13,2013.

But in years past they used songs by artist that talk about remembering and loving the things that have past and other such topics. And they come across as beautiful and touching, so I was just a little surprised with the music playing in the background this year. Not to say its bad it's just not my favorite...

I also hope they incorporate the deaths from middle December and on, no one should be forgotten...

finance wrote: "Can you imagine the indignity of being included in "TCM Remembers" while you are still alive. Has that ever happened?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope finance, I don't believe so.

(...nope, in fact to their credit, I don't believe TCM ever even jumped on the ol' "Abe Vigoda is dead" bandwagon when THAT became all the rage a while back!) ;)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings