Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's a Wonderful Life

dboring50

I have looked forward to the month of December to watch my favorite Christmas movies. I was very disappointed to not find "It's a Wonderful Life". I noticed other favorites that we always watch weren't there either. I have been sick for the last 10 days and really needed these movies to put me in the Christmas spirit. I love watching "it's a Wonderful Life" several times during Christmas season. Disappointed is all I can say. Otherwise, I love TCM very much.

Probably TCM doesn't show this because of some LEGAL crap or something. I don't know.

But I have all MY favorite Christmas movies on either tape or DVD, so no problem. Last night I watched both *Lost in Paradise* and *Christmas Vacation* . So I'm getting more in the spirit. "WONDERFUL LIFE" and "34th STREET" will be viewed soon. And of course, *Christmas Story* .

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Sepiatone

Thanks for your reply. Don't think it has to do with anything legal as I have watched it many other times on TCM during the month of December in the past. We had a house fire last year and everthing was carried out of my house. Slowly returning it to the home. I will look to see if my DVD of his movie has made it back home. That would be great. I so need it to put me in the mood for Christmas. Again Thank you.

dboring50,

NBC has had the exclusive broadcast rights to *It's a Wonderful Life* for many years and that contract runs for for at least the next couple of years.

As long as NBC has the exclusive broadcast contract (akin to ABC's exclusive long term contract for broadcasting *The Ten Commandments* and AMC's long term contract for *The Godfather* ), the film is not available to other networks for airing.

And no doubt when NBC's contract ends, someone else will scoop it up. The film has become such a Christmas staple, I doubt TCM can compete in the bidding wars for it. (Other networks can sell off time for commercials, TCM doesnt have that option, I'm happy to say!)

If I remember correctly, while NBC's original contract for IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE was for 25 years, it also gave them the option to renew it again for another 25 years. Since it likely costs NBC less than showing a recent film or a TV series and since it still gets good ratings and sponsors love to buy into family-friendly programming NBC would be crazy to let go of it.

As I always say, if somebody wants to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE without commercials they should either catch it at a theater that shows it around Christmas (which I'm doing this weekend) or watch the DVD because it's going to be a very long time before TCM or any other network gets a crack at it.

*"As I always say, if somebody wants to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE without commercials they should either catch it at a theater that shows it around Christmas (which I'm doing this weekend) or watch the DVD..."* - markfp2

That's cool. I didn't know theaters around the country screened the film. I don't know if it happens here in LA.

But investing in a DVD is really is a good idea. If one is a fan of the film, they should know that the mood to see it strikes every year at this time. Why not have a copy of your own to watch. And I don't think it is terribly expensive.

I bought a copy a while back. I will watch it sometime in the days closer to Christmas Eve. In the meantime, I will pull out my copies of *White Christmas* and others to keep me festive this December. Them and my huge collection of Christmas Music. (Yes Virginia, there is "fun" Christmas music to listen to every year.)

> I don't know if it happens here in LA.

Chief,

The film screened at the Chinese a few days (a week??) ago. Pretty packed house, too, from what I understand from an old classmate who was in the audience.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> That's cool. I didn't know theaters around the country screened the film. I don't know if it happens here in LA.

I would have been amazed if IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE didn't get 35mm screenings in L.A. of all places. Here in upstate New York it's become a Christmas standard at classic movie palaces.

On Saturday, some friends and I are going to see it at the beautiful and lovingly cared for Capitol Theater in Rome, On Sunday it's playing about 45 minutes to the west at the restored Landmark Theater (former Loews State) in Syracuse on a double bill with A CHRISTMAS STORY.

I'm looking forward to it since those two and one other classic theater in Syracuse are about the only ones left in these parts that can still show 35mm. All the rest have gone digital. :_|

I do have the DVD and once even owned a 16mm print, but as we all know it's just not the same as seeing it in 35mm on the big screen.

Edited by: markfp2 on Dec 14, 2012 2:24 AM

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Mmm, you think it may show so many times here because of Seneca Falls? Last year we attended the Seneca Falls celebration and saw grown up "Zuzu" who opened the festivities.

I think that's a fair conclusion because it most definately has an upstate New York connection. Since it usually gets showings in the Albany and Buffalo areas too, I suspect that upstate probably has more theatrical holiday showings of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE than just about anywhere.

Perhaps, around here in December, the saying should go "Every time a bell rings another projector is starting to show IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. :^0

I love TCM as well and really would enjoy them playing Its a Wonderful instead of NBC. I really enjoy the movie around Christmas time and can not get enough of watch it up until Christmas day. One year I thought I saw another station along with NBC playing Its a Wonderful Life around the same time because I remember trying to watch it on both station, that is how much I love watching the movie around Christmas time. I think they can not play Its a Wonderful life enough and think they should play it the entire month of December so that everyone would get a chance to see it. It has a very very meaningful story line, and I think if everyone live by this movie, than there would be less sucides. I think everyone life has a meaning, the key is to knowing what and believe in God to know that you were born for a reason.

noggin,

NBC has (and has had for many years) the exclusive contract to broadcast *It's a Wonderful Life* and that exclusive contract extends for at least another five years and NBC probably has the option to renew it when it comes up for renewal.

As long as NBC has the exclusive contract, no other channel can legally broadcast the film.

• 1 year later...
I was scrounging around trying to find out the viewership of It's A Wonderful Life on NBC each year. I found some ratings from a couple years ago - some 5.6 million viewers watched. Now that's a lot of people but in the U.S. it's nothing - a mere 0.018 percent of our 316 million residents.

I just feel it's a **** shame less than 6 million people get to see this each year. I think NBC airs it twice around Christmas time but still..

I love TCM as well and really would enjoy them playing Its a Wonderful instead of NBC. I really enjoy the movie around Christmas time and can not get enough of watch it up until Christmas day. One year I thought I saw another station along with NBC playing Its a Wonderful Life around the same time because I remember trying to watch it on both station, that is how much I love watching the movie around Christmas time. I think they can not play Its a Wonderful life enough and think they should play it the entire month of December so that everyone would get a chance to see it. It has a very very meaningful story line, and I think if everyone live by this movie, than there would be less sucides. I think everyone life has a meaning, the key is to knowing what and believe in God to know that you were born for a reason.

Reading this 2 year old post by a one time poster just now and in which he said he remembers "switching channels in order to watch IAWL being shown on an NBC network affiliate AND another (possibly local) channel of some sort at the same time"...well..he was RIGHT!

I also remember this happening in Los Angeles, and it was before NBC acquired sole rights to show it and when the film was still in the public domain sector, AND just as the phenomenon of the resurgence in interest in this film began rising...maybe sometime in the mid-'80s or so.

(...btw here all you regulars...anyone here wanna place bets on how many of these, "How come TCM won't show IAWL this Christmas" threads will be posted by "one-timers" around here by THIS Christmas???...MY bet is that it's gonna be somewhere around 5...LOL....I mean C'MON now...wouldn't ya THINK almost EVERYBODY in this country BY NOW would know that TCM hasn't had the RIGHTS to show this movie for YEARS now?!!!!)

• Like 1

People, we all agree it's a shame that NBC bought the rights to IAWL for the next thousand years, but it's not as if they've got the only copy.  There ARE alternative solutions.

How can I put this subtly?

ON AMAZON YOU CAN BUY THE DVD FOR AS LITTLE AS $1.98.  YOU CAN BUY A BRAND NEW COPY FOR $9.49.  IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GET TCM YOU CAN AFFORD TO SPEND $9.49. SO COOL IT ALREADY.

People, we all agree it's a shame that NBC bought the rights to IAWL for the next thousand years, but it's not as if they've got the only copy.  There ARE alternative solutions.

ON AMAZON YOU CAN BUY THE DVD FOR AS LITTLE AS $1.98.  YOU CAN BUY A BRAND NEW COPY FOR $9.49.  IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GET TCM YOU CAN AFFORD TO SPEND $9.49. SO COOL IT ALREADY.

Andy, you realize this thread is from 2012?

Not worth plotzing over.

somebody oughta show the colorized version. :)

colorization was murdered by the intolerance of black & white purists.

I'll say it again, let tcm show colorized prints of Bogie's Chained Lightning and Cary's Mr. Blanding's Builds His Dream House and just lets see.

it as been said that colorization lies dead because of a lack of demand on the part of millennials.

where is the demand here for silents and obscure euro films?

just look! George Bailey thinks colorization woulda been big.

fmrx4z.jpg

Yeah, yeah Andy, BUT the question AT HAND here is:

DO ya wanna place a bet in this "How many of these 'How come TCM isn't showing IAWL?' postings from all these one-time posters before THIS Christmas pool" I'm runnin' here OR NOT???!!!

(...dude, there COULD be some BIG MONEY in this for ya IF my pool here catches on, ya know!!!) ;)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings